Pick 5 Bands/Artists...
Sep 24, 2008 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
...You'd like to get the word out on, and then tell us a bit about them. Ideally they would be a bit obscure, or at least not as well known as they should be.

Mine:

1. King's X

Rather well known among prog rock fans, but they've never received the mainstream attention they deserved. How they didn't get to be the biggest band in the world is a mystery to me. They really have everything: Outstanding musicianship, excellent song-writing abilities, killer riffs, melodies, and harmonies... I really can't recommend them enough to anyone who likes just about any form of rock and pop music.

Recs: Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (more harmony/melody), Dogman (heavier, darker)

2. Yoko Kanno

If you know about anime you probably know the name as she's composed for some of the most famous series including Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne. An incredibly diverse and talented composer, Kanno's breadth is something to marvel at. Everything from Romantic Classical to Bebop to pop, rock, and world music. I love her and can't get enough, though it's a shame Japanese import albums are so expensive.

Recs: Song to Fly (a sample of her diversity), Cowboy Bebop OST (jazz), Escaflowne OST (classical)

3. Kayo Dot

Toby Driver's brainchild, Kayo Dot is an avante-garde mix of a ton of genres and styles. Very experimental and abstract. I absolutely love them, though I can't guarantee anyone else's level of fascination.

Recs: Choirs of the Eye, Blue Lambency Downward

4. The Gathering

High class, transcendent, ethereal, celestial rock/metal played with real taste and talent and sung by an angel. The Gathering are the real deal when it comes to the already-tired fad of female fronted metal bands (though they really aren't metal anymore). Their later albums have been beautifully meditative, mystical and pensive, while their early stuff is fit for the arena. They also sound EXCELLENT through headphones (especially those with a great mid-range).

Recs: Nighttime Birds (the best of their early sound), How to Measure a Planet? (Points towards their later albums while still retaining the rock edge for the most part)

5. Transatlantic

A neo-prog supergroup that's sadly overlooked. With members of Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, and Marillion. Both of their albums (SMPTe and Bridge Across Forever) are just phenomenal prog rock that's really as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back