Piano Rock?
Aug 21, 2005 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

n00b

500+ Head-Fier
Does anybody know of any good non-hardcore rock that has either piano or synth in it?

I like stuff like Ben Kweller, early Phantom Planet, even Hot Hot Heat and the Killers to some degree..

I was looking and I've only seen stuff like Shout Out Louds and Ringside (they have some synth..)

Any recommendations?

Aug 22, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 34
How about some "Something Corporate"
The band is fairly accomplished technically speaking for Pop. There is some great song structure but the lead singers voice is a tad nasaly. However the band, all in all, is enjoyable.
D
600smile.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 34
A simple "No thanks will do." No need to insult somebody else's musically taste . Just because you found them "7th grade" does not mean there is nothing to be gained. I assume since you said 7th grade, you are all of 9th grade now. I dont apprecaite the comment. Perhaps more constructive criticism instead of slander might help you find what you're looking for. Too "emo" does not help narrow the choices.

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 34
Well, as far as lighter rock bands that incorporate piano into atleast some of their songs...

Train: Drops of Jupiter, When I Look To The Sky, Something More, Calling All Angels, Get to Me
Matchbox Twenty: Bright Lights, Hand Me Down, Could I Be You
Five For Fighting: Superman, 100 Years
Maroon 5: (Most all songs have some sort of keyboards)
Coldplay: Clocks, The Scientist, Speed of Sound

And to off the track a bit, you might find other artists like Rob Thomas, Nine Inch Nails, Linkin Park to your liking...

I dunno, hope that helps?
confused.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 34
Tori Amos can get slightly 'rock' at times... and she is very talented on the piano. I'm seeing her live again next weekend and looking forward to it. I would recommend her earlier works, From the Choirgirl Hotel is my personal favourite.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 34
Some of Radiohead's best songs have heavy use of piano, and there's plenty of synth experimentation if you look around.

Also have a listen to Keane's Hopes And Fears - no guitars, just piano. The vocals are love them or hate them, but if you dig it you'll have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 34
I don't think any rock musicians out there use the piano as extensively as Tori Amos. The piano is like Tori's guitar. I saw her in a concert in Berlin last month and i was blown away. It was only her, a piano and 3 organs and boy did she rock!
basshead.gif
A good album to check out would be her "To Venus and Back". Its a double cd, one studio and one a live recording of her concert. Listen to that live cd and you will know what i mean
580smile.gif

Aug 22, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Tori Amos can get slightly 'rock' at times... and she is very talented on the piano. I'm seeing her live again next weekend and looking forward to it. I would recommend her earlier works, From the Choirgirl Hotel is my personal favourite.
wink.gif

Yes, very much so. From the Choirgirl Hotel is an album you just have to own. Very very strong material. It is a pity it is not available in high-res.
frown.gif
It is also a pity I missed out on Tori in Hamburg this year, but the price was just too greedy for my taste considering it was open air.

If you can see Tori Amos live at any chance, go. Her performances are... exceptional.

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 34
Erm, at the risk of getting bashed, Supertramp ROCKS and the guy at the piano is simply amazing. Try the album Crime Of The Century.

Aug 22, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 34
Have you tried Badly Drawn Boy? It's a great band that I've just recently started listening to. They use the piano a lot.

Spoon is also a decent band and getting to be really popular. Keyboards play a big part in their music.

Aug 22, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Her performances are... exceptional.

That is for sure... My Wife took me to see her on my 24th birthday and I loved it. Now she has surprised me with tickets again for next Saturday.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a happy boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back