Piano Music
Oct 19, 2006 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
I really like listening to piano, but i don't really want to listen to the same old classical stuff, is there anything a bit more modern on the piano?

Oct 19, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 25
When I hear "modern piano", I immediately think of Cecil Taylor. He is a McArthur Fellow (meaning, he's won the prestigious "Genius Grant) and has the most unique playing style I've ever heard. He improvises extremely percussively, leading to some of the most fascinating piano ever recorded. DEFINITELY check his stuff out.

Of course, the "essentials" include Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, and Duke Ellington. But I think that you probably are looking for suggestions more like Cecil Taylor.

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 25
A couple of my jazz fav's are Brad Mehldau and Michel Camilo.

If you haven't heard the Canadian classical pianist Marc-Andre Hamelin you should really check out the album Kapustin: Piano Music. Great stuff!

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 25
Maybe try picking up some piano music by Messiaen or John Cage. They ought to be modern enough. But be sure to listen to some samples first. I don't know if it will be the kind of modern you're looking for.

-Jay

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 25
Keiko Matsui - Japanese (I think) jazz piano -- very nice smooth sounding stuff!

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Try some Einaudi. Youll love it.

Im going to have to second Ludovico Einaudi-id start with "I Giorni".
Not the most complex piano, but accessible and absolutely beautiful modern/romantic piano.

Oct 19, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 25
John Cage - "Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano"
lambda.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 25
Piano-based music can fall under a number of genres - which one(s) are you interested in? Jazz? Blues? New Age? That said, I recommend Philip Glass' film scores, very moody stuff.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman
I really like listening to piano, but i don't really want to listen to the same old classical stuff, is there anything a bit more modern on the piano?

Perhaps some of the later 20thC composers, like Takemitsu or Hovhaness? gmn.com has a CD of Takemitsu solo piano music recorded by Paul Crossley that you can listen to.

Oct 19, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
Surprised no one has mentioned Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert yet. Highly recommended.

Ah! Silly me. I second this recommendation, and, in fact, I recommend just about every live piano recital from Keith Jarrett. All of them are simply beautiful and breathtakingly original! Very different from his more traditional jazz work.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 25
Michel Camillo as mentioned above is amazing. Another good latin one is Bebo Valdez. I've really been enjoying Chick Corea lately, too. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back