Physological Impact on Audiophiles...
Nov 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dazzleng

New Head-Fier
I knew why I enjoyed the sonic-nirvana of highend audio many years ago (1990s), being a musician also added to the pleasure and 'time-out' factor.

What interests me now is how headfidelity is such a growing trend and I wonder if it has anything to do with society being more individualistic and head-gear allows us to set 'boundaries' even in crowded public places?

I know music appreciation is a huge part but is there a co-relation between cost-factor and personal space? Compared with 10-15 years ago there definitely is a noticeable change in societal expectations... do you think this affects us and how?

Any thoughts?

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 9
I prefer speakers and always will. However, as I've found, I'm against so many of the modern changes to society that my opinion is to be taken as a pessimistic one.

I agree that people have become more antisocial (calling it "social networking" doesn't make it truly social...) but for my part, head-fi (high end headphones, not the site) is about price more than the ability to drown people out. I'd happily drown them out with a killer speaker setup honestly, then they can come listen or be blocked out if they would rather be antisocial.

The biggest place I notice the antisocial headphone use, is actually amongst people that aren't into the high end headphones. I hear the blasted iBuds (with their 0 isolation) deafening people and drowning out everything around them constantly. But the oddest part, is that generally, the most antisocial looking people are the ones walking around in groups, every one listening to earbuds turned up too loud.

Take that as you will, but to me, head-fi seems to be promoting a cheap alternative to speaker-fi rather than individualism.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
... Take that as you will, but to me, head-fi seems to be promoting a cheap alternative to speaker-fi rather than individualism....

very interesting point of view!

I have to admit that the cost factor is very enticing considering the speaker alternative, although from just the quick research i've recently done on head-gear it can get pretty costly too...

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 9
very interesting point of view!

I have to admit that the cost factor is very enticing considering the speaker alternative, although from just the quick research i've recently done on head-gear it can get pretty costly too...

True, but you can easily get a crazy Stax rig for less than some of the amps out there. I was just looking around yesterday and found a site showcasing million dollar speaker setups, one of which had half of that price in the speakers alone. Headphones can't touch the components, let alone some of the room treatments people have done.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
True, but you can easily get a crazy Stax rig for less than some of the amps out there. I was just looking around yesterday and found a site showcasing million dollar speaker setups, one of which had half of that price in the speakers alone. Headphones can't touch the components, let alone some of the room treatments people have done.

well put, its so easy to get carried away with gear and I on hindsight my first few yrs of audiophilia I almost stopped enjoying the music and was too focus on all the technical listening aspects. What I do enjoy about headgear is the mobility... you hear the same pretty much anywhere you go.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 9
I suppose some do wear headphones/earphones outdoors to create their own personal bubble where no one else can enter, but I think those who wear headphones/earphones while commuting just use it as a means to pass time. I say that because their headphones/earbuds do not isolate very well and they're not really concentrating on their music. Just some background music to nullify the bus engine noise, to pump them up for the day, etc. Some even regard headphones as status symbols (think Beats and Bose) or just part of their everyday outfit. Imo, speakers will always outdo headphones. Speakers give you a physical experience, whereas with headphones/earphones, you're just hearing the music. Also, I think cost isn't much of a factor as much as your living environment.

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
... I say that because their headphones/earbuds do not isolate very well and they're not really concentrating on their music. Just some background music to nullify the bus engine noise, to pump them up for the day, etc.

This is very interesting for me mainly coz I kinda actually get lost in the music and song, but perhaps that's my muso side. I do agree about the soundstage comparo and what I do enjoy abt the headphones is that I can almost feel like I'm in the band, on stage... as compared to speakers where its more like you watching a performance.

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 9
One of the reasons I find it hard to get lost in the music is because all my headphones have poor isolation. The other is that it's always the same songs repeating in my mp3 player... so it kinda gets repetitive. I'm looking for new material, but nothing's wow'ed me... 

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
One of the reasons I find it hard to get lost in the music is because all my headphones have poor isolation. The other is that it's always the same songs repeating in my mp3 player... so it kinda gets repetitive. I'm looking for new material, but nothing's wow'ed me... 

You should take a break. Don't listen to music for a week or more. Then listen again. It won't be like new, but it's different... Sometimes you don't like some songs anymore at all, and others you can't wait to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back