Physical vs Streaming vs Digital Files Part 2
Jul 19, 2016 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zach8278

New Head-Fier
Link to the article that gave me the idea for this post:

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/machine-heads-robb-flynn-vows-to-never-buy-a-physical-cd-again

Rob Flynn from Machine Head basically said that their is no need for physical music..

Let's say you are streaming music on Spotify, and are downloading music legally on the internet. If a fire happens and you lose everything or the internet is no longer around (hypothetically speaking) and you lose your music download accounts, what are you gonna do? You will not be able to accumulate everything music wise again in the matter of time that you want. It will be frustrating and you will probably give up in the end...

Link to a really well thought out video on YouTube about the subject ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgwdyinY3k

I have another question that i hope can be answered by everyone and hopefully it will start discussions: Should record labels and CD stores lower the price of CDs to the point where they are accessible money wise to everyone? Or do you think the price of a CD should remain unchanged?

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 3
At this point anything that destroys the Internet would probably also kill my power, so access to digital music at that point is probably the last of my worries. A fire would probably do a fine job killing my CD collection as well as my PC. CDs also don't last forever (though they seem to be lasting 30 years pretty well). Backups are easy to do and require just a bit of vigilance.

As far as price, I think it will all work out organically as the CD medium dies a slow death.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 3
I listen exclusively to digital audio files stored on hard drives. (Mostly lossless.) If there was a fire right now that destroyed those drives, I would lose all that data because I haven't yet backed it up, whether in secure locations or online...but I plan to get around to that eventually.

Most used CDs are available at very low prices, even as low as a penny. You don't have to buy them new, after all.

I think an ideal future for the audio industry would be one where you can download music in the highest quality, with a selection that is ever-closer to the entirety of recorded music, and at the same low price regardless of format or resolution. Obviously, that is not likely to happen...but it would still be nice to get closer to that. Bandcamp is a step in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back