Photos and Initial Impressions: Tomahawk w/ UE-10 Pro (other IEMs/headphones later)
Dec 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow... makes my supermicro look not so hot anymore. i think i'm about to get a case of head-fi fever
frown.gif

It's not clear it is better, right? The Tomahawk case looks nicer and more sturdy, but other than that it is really up in the air. The Micro is definitely smaller. (The Tomahawk is 2.6 x 1.8 x .8 and the Micro 2 x 1 x .7 (inches). And a lot of people seem to think the micro just has the best sound period (although the Super-Macro LE may overtake it). It'll be interesting to hear more sound comparasions between the micro and the Tomahawk.

-- David

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But couldn't you have put the feet on the bottom of the Tomahawk, and placed that side against the nano?

The top of the Tomahawk will remain feet-less, unless you want to put another set of feet there.

Wrapping the Tomahawk case with transparent skins such as those used for iPods will protect it from scratches.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

That's what I would do. Mainly because the volume knob is closer to the top of the case rather than the bottom, making it more difficult to access the knob if you have something stacked right on top.

FWIW, the rubber feet thingies are removeable.

And since my DAP is gargantuan compared to my Tomahawk, I use them side by side, rather than my DAP mounting my Tomahawk.
wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 37
No offense meant, but I wonder why there is no amp that directly connects to an iPod, without using a clumsy and +U$150 interconnect. There isn't really a point to go for the supercompact Tomahawk, if one third of the total package's weight and size is for the interconnect.

Preferably, the amp's battery should also be able to power the iPod, either as backup or replacement for the iPods internal battery.

HP

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But couldn't you have put the feet on the bottom of the Tomahawk, and placed that side against the nano?

The top of the Tomahawk will remain feet-less, unless you want to put another set of feet there.

Wrapping the Tomahawk case with transparent skins such as those used for iPods will protect it from scratches.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

No need to bother doing all that. Just wasting more money. The bubble dots come off quite easily. I already moved them around several times. Just use them.

On the other hand...I have noticed that those adhesive skins tend to take off logos. Took off some of the white apple logo from my ipod. They will do more damage in the long run.

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 37
SWEET RIG! That is the portable rig that I'm saving up for atm! I'm also very curious about the 7-wire dock because the biggest copper dock Ken offers atm is the 4 wire Vampire Wire dock... I wonder if the Vampire wires are as flexible as the Jena Cryo wires. How much will a custom 7-wire Jena Cryo dock cost?

Happy listening!

Dec 25, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense meant, but I wonder why there is no amp that directly connects to an iPod, without using a clumsy and +U$150 interconnect. There isn't really a point to go for the supercompact Tomahawk, if one third of the total package's weight and size is for the interconnect.

Preferably, the amp's battery should also be able to power the iPod, either as backup or replacement for the iPods internal battery.

HP

Even with the most expensive ALO cable can you get up to $150?

Dec 25, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 37
It's great to see how well the nano mates with the Tomahawk. I'll be adding this to my wishlist... I normally hate portable amps because it is too bulky when attached, but this looks good.

Just how much wider is the Hornet when it is backed to a nano?

--Chris

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 37
I'm sure u can find a pic of the nano plus a Hornet in the portable rig thread

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to find them at most crafts stores and hardware stores. (Try Lowe's or Home Depot, for example.) Here's Velcro's product page for this type of wrap:

http://www.velcro.com/CONSUMER/products_sp.htm

Thanks! I will check out one of my local crafts stores.

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I thought about this as well. I mean why go with a supersmall portable player, a small amp, and then add a giant LOD?

One problem is the way the cable goes out of the connector. You could build for example a connnector, where the cable goes out of the bottom of the connector, and not at the rear. So you could avoid the cable loop. Only problem there would be the plug into the amp. You would need a very short rectangle connector.

I once saw a picture of a member, who already did this mod, but with a long cable, to plug into the amp on the other side.

This way you could make a portable rig with MUCH lower profile.

PS: I once saw an amp for the iPod (normal, not nano) in an audio magazin, which was build like the Griffin iTrip Fm transmitter for the nano.
itrip_nano.jpg

But i can't remember the name of the manufacture right now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back