Photography - budget camera
May 2, 2008 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
There's the sr60, ksc75, jvc marshmallows, etcetera for headphones..

Is there a nice budget sweet-spot for cameras as well?
I want to spend as little as possible, without ending up with something really crappy.
I'm not looking to start another hobby, I just need something that can take clean photos.

Thanks -
James

May 2, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 15
isn't this the way why we ended up on head-fi. If lost track about 17 year's ago when I upgraded my portable headphone with just something a little better...
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 15
Lol yeah.. probably.
That's why I'm trying my best to get a quick painless answer, and just go ahead and buy it, instead of browsing through threads and reviews... and "wanting more"

May 2, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 15
If you want to go DSLR, you're looking at at least 500-600 initially. I reccomend a Nikon D50 and an 18-55 or 18-70 zoom (yes, you'll get the "50mm f/1.8 is so awesome" types - I have mine, and while it's a great lens for $100, 50mm on the DX formfactor is just about worthless to me as a viewpoint so I never use it. It sits on my film body all day and barely gets touched there either).

If you're looking for cheaper, get a Canon Point-and-Shoot. They're excellent camera that take fantastic pictures.

May 2, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to go DSLR, you're looking at at least 500-600 initially. I reccomend a Nikon D50 and an 18-55 or 18-70 zoom (yes, you'll get the "50mm f/1.8 is so awesome" types - I have mine, and while it's a great lens for $100, 50mm on the DX formfactor is just about worthless to me as a viewpoint so I never use it. It sits on my film body all day and barely gets touched there either).

Hhmm, 50 1.8 was my first lens w/ my rebel xt, it stays w/ my camera most of the time. Eventhough I got my d300 now, I still keep my xt & 50 1.8. Some of my best pics are taken with that lens.

May 2, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 15
Any of the Canon Ixus/Elph line for stick in your pocket or purse portability. You can get really good quality snapshots with these.

A DSLR is the grado/amp/dac version many options more weight etc.

I personally shoot a Pentax K10D, but got family members the Canon's.

May 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word 'photography' in the title.
A point and shoot works for me.
Like I said, I'm not here trying to start a hobby. I just need something cheap that does justice to its price.
Mainly for everyday-use - trips, parties, getting shots of my headphone setup of course, selling/ebay'ing, and I'm going to need one as an architect student too..

I can spend $10 on airplane headphones, or I can spend $10 on ksc75's, and get pretty respectable sound.
Now, I'm not going to find a $10 camera, but I would like something closer to the $150 range..

May 2, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 15
dealhack.com has great buys and features a lot of cheaper cameras. There's always a ~130 dollar camera on the front page.

May 2, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 15
In the $150 range, I've been quite impressed with the Canon SD1000. I'd personally reccomend spending a bit more for a model with IS ("Image Stabilization" is what I believe the acronym is for - it counteracts the shake in your hands and helps you to get sharper shots on longer exposures), however.

May 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For got to add in pricing and models. From about $150 to $225 for the latest SD1100IS.

If you want a P&S, this is definitely your best bet. Although, If you want to go even cheaper, I got a Casio Exilim z110 off ebay for $55 dollars, and so far I LOVE it. Its a bit thicker than the Powershot, but It takes AA batteries, and it is a lot less. But, if you want to spend a little more, you should go with the Powershot.

This is the Exilim:

casio%20exz110.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back