Phony craiglist ad leads to looting
Mar 26, 2008 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Another home trashed through Craigslist ad - Machinist - Salon.com

Quote:

There's a priceless moment in this Associated Press story about Robert Salisbury, a man in Oregon who came home on Sunday afternoon to the shock of dozens of people ransacking his belongings.

They'd been alerted by a Craiglist post which falsely advertised Salisbury's stuff -- including his horse! -- as free for the taking:

On his way home he stopped a truck loaded down with his work ladders, lawn mower and weed eater.

"I informed them I was the owner, but they refused to give the stuff back," Salisbury said. "They showed me the Craigslist printout and told me they had the right to do what they did...."

Once home he was greeted by close to 30 people rummaging through his barn and front porch.

The trespassers, armed with printouts of the ad, tried to brush him off. "They honestly thought that because it appeared on the Internet it was true," Salisbury said. "It boggles the mind."

That's scary, he should just called the police to arrest all those morons.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 39
Any self-respecting farmer has a shotgun tucked away. I would have shown them a new version of the ad that included a bonus to the first 30 people: Abdominal buckshot injections.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any self-respecting farmer has a shotgun tucked away. I would have shown them a new version of the ad that included a bonus to the first 30 people: Abdominal buckshot injections.

Heh, x2, except if I was a farmer, I'd have an R700 by my side. (Just for those shots that shotguns can't reach
wink.gif
)

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 39
What if one of the looters already took the shotgun?

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, x2, except if I was a farmer, I'd have an R700 by my side. (Just for those shots that shotguns can't reach
wink.gif
)

LOL, if you were a retired assassin trying to escape to the quiet life after a life in special forces, until your quiet life was abruptly interrupted by a Craig's List Ad.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, if you were a retired assassin trying to escape to the quiet life after a life in special forces, until your quiet life was abruptly interrupted by a Craig's List Ad.

I think that's the plot for the next Bourne film.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 39
LMAO of course....It's my idea... I trademark it!

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or was a deer hunter. The Remington 700 is only one of the most popular rifles ever made and deer are roughly people sized.

Course, there's always the problem of explaining to police exactly why you felt capping someone a couple of blocks away was a good idea...

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
)

*Looks down scope*
*Aims*
HEADSHOT~!!!11

and repeat as necessary.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 39
Or the farmer could have trained his animals to beat the intruders into mush. The horse could have probably given half of those people a concussion with a few well-aimed kicks.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmacfan4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Looks down scope*
*Aims*
HEADSHOT~!!!11

and repeat as necessary.

I can see it now BOOM!!!! HEADSHOT!! I love this video
wink.gif
YouTube - boom headshot

"It's like BOOM! Headshot!"

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would've had a shotgun yeah.. Aren't there laws that allow you to protect your property? And does CL log IPs?

Many US citizens are allowed to defend their property by law, but exactly what you're allowed to do varies by state.

In the farmer's case, Oregon's laws do not allow for the use of deadly force in defense of property. Shooting at someone is generally regarded as deadly force. So nope, no shooting for him. Not sure that he even would have been able to even point a gun at them. Oregon apparently allows it for self defense only. Applicable statutes are quoted at the end of this post.

Different ball game in Texas, but it doesn't change the situation. Use of force to protect property, up to and including deadly force, is allowable if the person believes it is necessary to prevent the theft of property. The threat of deadly force (e.g. pointing a gun) is considered a use of force and could be allowable under the above. Either way though, as the farmer was able to stop the theft by just talking to them, the use of force would not have been justified. But given that it is Texas, no one would blame him if he told them to leave at gunpoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Statute 161.229
Use of physical force in defense of property. A person is justified in using physical force, other than deadly physical force, upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission by the other person of theft or criminal mischief of property. [1971 c.743 §26]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Statute 166.190
Pointing firearm at another; courts having jurisdiction over offense. Any person over the age of 12 years who, with or without malice, purposely points or aims any loaded or empty pistol, gun, revolver or other firearm, at or toward any other person within range of the firearm, except in self-defense, shall be fined upon conviction in any sum not less than $10 nor more than $500, or be imprisoned in the county jail not less than 10 days nor more than six months, or both. ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back