Phonostage needed?
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

elecsheep9

Head-Fier
Right now, my turntable, a MusicHall MMF5 is connected to my 11 year old Denon receive that actually has a built in phonostage.

However, I was thinking of incorporating the turntable into my head-fi station.  (With a toddler around, I rarely get to listen to my music on loudspeakers.)

My question is, would my headamp (a Little Dot MK IV) be able to serve as the phonostage, or do I need a separate phonostage, to make the chain go Turntable --> Phonostage --> Headamp --> Headphones.

If I do need a separate phonostage, would a tube one be overkill on the tubiness?

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations?  (If I need a phonostage, would want to limit to about $300, give or take.)

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, you do need a phono stage. As Stephen Mejias recounted in the latest Stereophile about his similar question to the technically oriented John Atkinson, a phono stage does two things. It not only amplifies the low output of a moving magnet cartridge but it also equalizes the signal from the record which is recorded with de-emphasis of the low frequencies and high frequencies to accomodate the recording process. Without such de-emphasis, your stylus/diamond tip would skip out of the groove and low bass would not even be feasible on vinyl. Some phono stages accomodate moving magnet only, and others also accomodate moving coil. In your price range, I would look on Audiogon for a used Musical Surroundings Phonomenon. It is solid state but very very good for the price. Next bet would a Musical Fidelity V-LPS which you could buy new at your price range, also solid state.

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 3
BTW, adding a tubed phono stage to a tubed head amp should not render sound that is too "tubey" IF the two components are fairly neutral. I own a LD Mark IVse and with my choice of tubes, it is not overly tubey. That said, the only tubed phono stage I would recommend in your price range would be a used Jolida JD-9A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back