Phono Stage needed
Mar 1, 2003 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
I have Thorens TD160 Super with Linn Basik Lv X arm and Nagoka Mp-11 gold cartridge. I will mostly use this with a Fisher 400-X which has a phono stage. I may want to hook it up to my main system which is all Adcom (SS). I am using an SLC-515 (passive preamp) which has no phono stage. I was looking at Antique Sound Labs, Bottlehead, Musical Fidelity. I'm probably leaning toward trying the Bottlehead. Also, is my cartridge MM or MC? I'm a newbe to TT, is there anything I need to know?

Mar 1, 2003 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi Ken,
I am new as well to TT's, and recently purchased on Audiogon a Monolithic PS-1 and seperate power supply HC-1 together for about $450. You do not have to buy the power supply, it is an option.
It is quite highly regarded (even in Stereophile, if that matters)

I really like its sound, but I have not a lot of experience with phono stages. A nice feature is you can make changes to accomodate different carts, either MM or MC.

I have also heard good things about the Lehmann's black cube.

Good luck and enjoy the vinyl...

Ken

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 5
If you're considering the Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp and are able to build kits, you won't be disappointed. This kit is a tremendous value. Lots of bang for very few bucks.

I am not familiar with the Nagoka cartridge, so you will have to look up or someone here will have to tell you what the output of this cartridge is. It is recommended that cartridges with at least 2.5 mV output be used with the Seduction.

Mar 1, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 5
I am in the process of doing a six-way phono amp comparison.I have the Grado PH-1,The Monolithic PS-1 w/power supply,Phonomena w/battery powered supply,Creek OBH-8,Ear 834P,and the AES/Cary PH1.I may try to get a Bluenote from Todd The Vinyl Junkie to add to the comparison.Give me a few weeks to get this done.I will also post my VPI Scout review this weekend.

Mar 2, 2003 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 5
One thing to consider--

In most cases, a phono stage will not drive a power amp suitably by itself through a passive preamp. You might look for a preamp that has a built-in line stage. The other option would be using a power amp that has a volume control at its inputs.

If you try to run a phono stage through a passive preamp, you probably won't have enough left after the volume control to drive the cable capacitance between it and your amp. You'll get music, but with compromised dynamics and muted highs.

When considering various phono stages, check the recommended load impedance. Whatever the phono stage is driving needs to have a high enough impedance to keep from loading the phono stage down.

I'll bet that Fischer 400X isn't bad at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back