Phono Preamp for the Music Hall MMF-5
Apr 22, 2006 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RadioClash

New Head-Fier
Been looking at the Bellari VP 129 preamp for my MMF-5. Any opinions on how well these two work together? Right now I'm using the phono inputs of an old Yamaha RX-570 receiver, so anything would be an improvement. Thanks in advance.

Apr 26, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 7
I actually have an MMF-5 and a Bellari VP129. I actually don't like the VP-129 much, as it picks up a very audible hum around the 12 o'clock position, and usually the right listening level for me is around 3 or 4 o'clock position. The hum is extremely obvious, and very irritating. I tried switching out tubes to fix it, but with no improvement.

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the input Solberg. I've heard similiar reviews about the VP129. Think I will take a pass on it. This old RX-570 is actually doing a very nice job. They are built to last.

What tracking arm weight have you been using for the MM-5? 1.75 is the manufacturer suggested, but I've been using a guage to try and find a sweet spot. Have you found one yet?
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 7
I just stuck with the 1.75 setting, as the tracking has been wonderful so far. Really, I only have good things to say about the MMF-5. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

May 2, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 7
Hey thanks mattigol, looks like that amp has some good reviews. I see Audio Advisor carries them. How radical of an improvement would they be over this old yamaha RX-570? I'd be running it into a Gilmore Lite with DPS and a pair of Sony MDR SA-5000s

May 2, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't know the rest of your rig but judging from your Yamaha receiver, you'd have a long way to go until the Cambridge would be the bottleneck of your system. Try it, it's widely available, probably even for home auditioning. And get rid of the Yamaha. If you like receivers with great headphone amp to boot, give a vintage Marantz a serious look.
biggrin.gif
EDIT: Does your GL offer dual inputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back