Phono Preamp for MMF-5
Jul 13, 2003 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Hey all,

I'm having a huge week as far as new gear goes, and right now I'm in the market for a phono pre for the Music Hall MMF-5 I'm going to be ordering tomorow. My budget is $300, and I'm really hoping to get it ordered in the next couple days so I can use my table when it gets here.

Right now I'm in communication with a guy selling a Lehman Black Cube for $300, but if any of you have any better suggestions I'd love ot hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 5
The Black Cube is a good unit and I doubt you'll be disappointed.I would also suggest the Creek OBH-8SE and Monolithic PH1.All of these are excellent units and will work very well with the Goldring rig on your new table.The MMF-5 is the standout table at that price and is easily superior to any vintage table.You will need some cone feet to properly level the table as well as a cross-check level(available at home depot) and level the platter, not the plinth.Ditch the felt mat and make yourself one out of sheet styrofoam and cork glued together.You get the styrofoam out of packing materials(or from Mailboxes ETC.) and the sheet cork from a hobby store.get yourself a Sure stylus force gauge and a cheap protractor.Keep a small soft boar bristle brush near your table(to clean the stylus) as well as a small magnifying mirror to inspect the stylus.I have found those static guns to be of little real use and those carbon brushes are not worth the money.I use a small humidfier in my room and lint brush to keep dust oof the surface of records.Those small oil-charged car dusters do a good job of keeping dust off the non playing sufaces.Don't use this duster on the records or platter.Don't use feather dusters or paper towels anywhere near your analog gear, they all create major static and clinging dust.

Jul 14, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 5
Please more info on the small oil charged car cleaners.

Jul 14, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 5
The black cube is a very good phono stage, especially at the prices they are going for used now. I would see if you can get one with the upgraded PWX power supply, though it may bring you up to the $400 range. I've had both- the original one is a little loose on the bottom end and bass tends to be boomy. Even the upgraded one with the PWX power supply, the bass is still a little loose, but add a decent power cord and it will clean that right up. Other than that, I don't remember the two being much different on the top end, but unfortunately, I never put them head to head because I was using at different times with different tables.

Another unit that I think is very good for the price is the Musical Fidelity XLPS- once again, it's a little boomy on the bottom end, but very nice sounding on the top end. They can be had for less than $200 on the used market.

If you're using something like the MMF5 or a Rega table, the bass control issues probably will not be as apparent because these tables have less bass than the ones that I've used with these phono stages.

One other phono stage that may be worth looking into is the Grado phono stage. The local hi-fi shop is supposed to let me demo it and give them my opinions, but they keep selling it before I can get it! They tell me that the people that have bought them have really liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back