Phono Pre-amp Recommendation?
Jul 1, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lord Chaos

100+ Head-Fier
There are some records that will never come to CD, so last year I bought a replacement turntable and support equipment:
Rega Planar 5 with offboard power supply module
Rega cartridge (I've forgotten the model number)
Pro-ject Tube Box phono pre-amp

The pre-amp connects to a Mackie 1202 mixer for volume control, and the final unit is an Alesis Masterlink ML9600 hard-disk recorder. The LP is recorded to the hard disk at 24 bits, 96kHz and then edited. The final version is then burned to a Redbook CD, which I use to import the music to my computer.

A couple of days ago I wanted to remaster an LP I'd done last year. Unfortunately, the Tube Box has developed a problem: lots of hum, and the left channel is way low in output. So, I either need to get this repaired or find a replacement.

I don't know much about tube equipment. Is it likely that the hum and gain problem is due to a failed tube?

I've learned that phono pre-amps run from $19.95 to $6500.00. I spent about $600 on the Tube Box. I'm not going to spend $6500.

What I'm looking for is a pre-amp that is the analog equivalent of a Benchmark DAC1: fairly expensive, but good bang for the buck. Given that the Pro-ject unit didn't last long I'm not too excited about buying another one from them.

Has anyone here heard the Tube Box? I'm curious about how it compares to units like the NAD PP2. I bought it because it's what the store had when I went to get the turntable.

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back