Phono Input
Sep 12, 2005 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nitsujH

New Head-Fier
I have a phono input on my Sony STR-V5 and I was wondering if it was safe to use my mp3 player in this input jack. The phono input is much louder than the others which helps compensate for hte lack of volume coming from the mp3 player. I was just wanting to make sure that it's not damaging to the amp, speakers, or the player.

Sep 12, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsujH
I have a phono input on my Sony STR-V5 and I was wondering if it was safe to use my mp3 player in this input jack. The phono input is much louder than the others which helps compensate for hte lack of volume coming from the mp3 player. I was just wanting to make sure that it's not damaging to the amp, speakers, or the player.

It's not only much louder, but equalized for phono (called RIAA equalization) to compensate for reverse EQ built into LP's. It probably won't damage anything (hard to say for sure), but there's EQ built in that will greatly reduce the highs and enhance the bass frequencies. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Sep 12, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitsujH

Phono Input will automatically equalize your signal according to RIAA curve. Any signal from CD, MD, MP3 whatever will be messed up.

Sep 13, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 4
Maybe that's why the bass seemed boomier than normal.. Anyway, thanks fewtch and juneamour for the quick replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back