phones to match prehead?
Jan 12, 2003 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
some pre-research before purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

which phone would you get to match a prehead(and an EMP)?

- Sony CD3000
- AT W1000
- AKG K1000 (very expensive but!)

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
some pre-research before purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

which phone would you get to match a prehead(and an EMP)?

- Sony CD3000
- AT W1000
- AKG K1000 (very expensive but!)

D. None of the above.

Grado HP-1, HP-2
Sony MDR-R10 (? Haven't heard with Prehead yet)
Sennheiser HD600 with Cardas cable

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 27
Out of your list I would say:

1. Eliminate the K1000s as they are WAY too hard to drive without a lot of power.

2. Give serious consideration to the W1000 or CD3000. I own the Sony, and recently sold the W1000 due to comfort reasons. I hooked-up the CD3K to a Sugden today and it sounded REALLY good. Let me quote the guy who was here earlier and heard them, "I listened to these at the WOHT, and didn't like them. After hearing them again I really like them." Not an exact quote, but it's close enough. Those who heard them hooked-up to the HeadRoom stuff have not heard them yet. Find some way of listening to either or both of these cans before buying if possible, then decide what YOU like.

3. Stay away from the Sennheiser stuff in lieu either set listed in #2 above.

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 27
kelly, i already have the HD580 + cardas and the R-10 is way out of my budget.. as for the HP-1 i dont think itd be to my taste.

ServinginEcuador, i would have guessed the prehead would have enough power to drive the akg1000? my initial thought was with either the CD3000 or W1000. I like what ever one has to say about both phones but am still unsure which would be best..

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

i would have guessed the prehead would have enough power to drive the akg1000?

With a maximum output of 13 V at 800 mA, the PREHEAD shouldn't have any problem driving the AKG-1000s.

Jan 12, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 27
ServinginEcuador - you seem to be taking the same ingnorant path that I once fell down. Your idea of quality is not the same as everyone elses, try not to throw your view onto everyone looking for new stuff to try and expect them to believe it. Enthusiasm is good, I'm glad you've found your component, but don't over do it.

taoster - are you happy with the HD580 w/cardas and are looking for further improvement, or do you find yourself wanting a different sound? I would have to say your safest bet would be to go with Jan's suggestion first, the Beyerdynamic DT931. I'd love to hear this setup as well looking back at the DT831, even though I disliked its cons, I really liked its pros (the fact that the memory crept up on me is good enough for me to want to give the DT931 a try).

Jan 12, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 27
For the record... the Prehead has plenty of power to drive the K1000.

Jan 12, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
ServinginEcuador - you seem to be taking the same ingnorant path that I once fell down. Your idea of quality is not the same as everyone elses, try not to throw your view onto everyone looking for new stuff to try and expect them to believe it. Enthusiasm is good, I'm glad you've found your component, but don't over do it.

Funny, because if I reco'd the Senn 600s, no one would say didley squat. Now, I compare the headphones in an A/B comparison, and find just how much better these cans are than the Senns in just about every way. And now it's my "idea" of what quality is? Weird. Quality, as I described it, and as you can read in my compasiron, was done using certain criteria, spelled out in said comparison, and in the end the winner was the Sony. I don't know why I am singled out for my reco when anyone else here can say whatever they want about whatever cans they happen to like.

Why should I shut-up about these cans and not say what I think, and you can reco and say what you want?? Did you ever think about that one? You like the Senns, good for you, I, and many others who owned them for a long period of time are now blown away by a much better set of cans that gets little respect due to the rhetoric and misinformation spread here. If I agreed with you about the Senn reco, you wouldn't have said a word. That is ignorance at its highest: someone who doesn't own something, listens to it for 5 minutes hooked up to a bad combo, and then tells everyone in the world that they suck. At least I predicate whatever I say with my experience, facts, ownership, and anything but my opinion based on little else but my preference for another set of cans. I never attacked you or your preferences, what you reco and don't reco, so why attack me in the public forum?? Because I don't fanw over the Senns any more, and that I found something that is a better set of cans?? Maybe, but either way count me out of this thread, too much going on other than just giving a reco and leaving it up to the thread starter.

Jan 13, 2003 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

try not to throw your view onto everyone looking for new stuff to try and expect them to believe it. Enthusiasm is good, I'm glad you've found your component, but don't over do it.

Umm, then what's the purpose of an online discussion forum, if we're to keep our opinions to ourselves?

I guess people who own less than 10 pairs of headphones, who own less than 10k worth of audio equipment, and have less than 3000 posts should all just shut up?

I'm still relatively new here, but is that what you're saying, is this an elitist type place?

I'm not being sarcastic, I know a few of my favorite graphics hangouts have had to turn elitist to keep down the bandwidth costs, and I know we newbies with our "help me find headphones!" posts, and people who can't afford thousands in decent sources may be annoying...

I thought head-fi was supposed to be a friendly place, where people chat about good sound, am I wrong?

Confused..

frown.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 27
plainsong, you've clearly taken it the wrong way. I noticed a pattern of something being being thrown at nearly everyone it seems, I used to do that, and have learned that my way is not the right way for everyone else, was only trying to inform. Please don't take it personal, it wasn't an attack. Misunderstandings suck.

Jan 13, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

plainsong, you've clearly taken it the wrong way. I noticed a pattern of something being being thrown at nearly everyone it seems, I used to do that, and have learned that my way is not the right way for everyone else, was only trying to inform. Please don't take it personal, it wasn't an attack. Misunderstandings suck.

Audio& Me,

If you'll notice, this guy started out his thread asking about the Sony CD3K, the exact headphone I reco'd. And not only that but I also reco'd ANOTHER set of headphones along with the Sonys.

I generally reco these headphones under the following criteria:

1. Price is within their range, stated or implied.
2. Person posts here on Head-Fi.
3. Person ASKS for an opinion on headphones.
4. I read the post and decide to reply.

And even then I also generally reco that they LISTEN to them for theself to see if they like them. If you'll look closely you'll see I reco'd that this person listen to both the W1000 and CD3K.

Somehow I don't see a problem giving my opinion about a set of headphones I happen to like WHEN SOMEONE ASKS for an opinion about them in thieri post. You don't agree with my opinion, at least have the decency to merely give your opinion about what you happen to like, and then move on with life without attacking anyone who disagrees with you or your preference.

Jan 13, 2003 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 27
I appreciate everyone's feedback and always tries to relate anyone’s post to my own needs. So dont be afraid to voice your opinion, just dont get mad if i choose otherwise. i do very much appreciate ServinginEcuador views, reviews and posts, especially since there is next to zero chance of me able to audition phones of this calibre or similar prior to purchase.

Audio&Me, i like what i hear from the HD580+Cardas and EMP but i feel even with this set-up it lacks attack, speed, it’s a little blurry and a little laid back too. I've already got my eyes on a solid state AMP as i often found myself with only short amount of time to listen to headphones and as I like what I hear from my PortaCorda, the Prehead is a natural progression.

I am interested in the AKG K1000 as i am guessing it'd have the attack, speed and sharp defined electrostatic sound i desire. I am also not a huge fan of the ety er4s, great for isolation but otherwise its a sounds too tinny, thin and a tad boring at times. I am afraid the AKG K1000 and CD3K might be tinny too. The CD3K, wide sound stage is good but if that's all it is i'd give it a pass and the chance they might sound shrilly scares me a little.

So maybe the ATW1000? LOL
biggrin.gif

I have thought of the new beyer.. but ill await the reviews :)

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 27
Audio&Me - You have a right to your opinions, and a right to voice them, the same as SIE does... however, calling someone's choice ignorant is a bit harsh and undeserved IMO. I haven't taken personal offense though, it's just confusing at times. We're asked for opinions, and then we're flamed for giving them. Head-fi can be a very confusing place at times.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 27
ha, everytime when a discussion about the sony cd3k (or other expensive but not so popular phones) arises, a war starts. People always end up talking about how others should voice their opinions. Its good to defend yourself, but shouldn't that be done in the member's lounge?
frown.gif
wink.gif

Now, let's get back to the original question shall we?
cool.gif
I am interested in getting the cd3k or the w1k so i want some answers too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 27
Toaster,

Unless you have big ears, you might be interested in trying a Sugden Headmaster combined with the A or W1000 headphones. This amp sounded wonderful, and it costs less than the Corda Prehead. Unless you need the crossfeed, I doubt you would go wrong buying the Sugden as it is a very great sounding amp. WIth this smooth amp you could go with either the W1000 or CD3K with no problems. Myself and AC1, who owns the amp, tried the CD3K thru it and were impressed with the sound. Harsh, shrill, or otherwise in the high-end it did not have at all. And AC1 listened to these cans before and didn't like them.

I auditioned the K1000s for only about 5 minutes, so keep that in mind when you read this next part: I liked them, but found that they lacked in the bass department. Maybe it's the distance that the earspeakers sit from the head, but others here have bought a separate subwoofer to use with their K1000s to bring the bass back up.

All in all, whatever cans you choose, A/W1000, CD3K, or the nwe Beyer 880 will sound very good with your setup. These are all very good cans. Let us know what you buy and how you like them toaster!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back