Phones silimar to krk kns 8400 & w/ cheaper replacement pads?
Sep 10, 2018 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

busssy2333

New Head-Fier
I've had these krk kns 8400 for a couple years and they are great. But the pads just both started peeling and now the foam is all the way out and is giving me a bad fit and a headache. I bought replacement pads for $33 which seems a bit of a rip off considering I paid about $120 for these and the pads probably cost literally $4 to make.

I don't think there's a cheaper pad that will fit but if anyone happens to know?
I know some pads fit other phone but not sure but is there another pair of closed back phone which are very neutral sounding (like the KNS8400) that has cheaper replacement pads?

I could super glue the pads peeling but I don't want superglue touching my ear and it would be harder than it seems to glue these. I was gonna stitch them instead but that might still be annoying and also not so easy to do.

I want something similar price $140 and under that is closed back, Neutral sound, and a decent length cord like 6 feet, not 3 feet. I am very particular with the fit though and have had to return other phones before just cause they don't fit right but these 8400s fit great as did the senheizzers they replaced before those broke.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 5
bump.
I remember when I chose these KRKs originally I did the whole internet shopping thing where instead of buying basically whatever's on a store shelf, it turns into days and days and a PHD thesis on the subject...
saw lots of youtube videos guys knew certain brand pads fit others so I'm looking for something with similar neutral performance as these KRKs but with pads I can get cheaply and easily. The pads for these KRKs are backordered and I don't know when they'll arrive and I think they will be discontinued if I need them again. I never had pads pull apart like this BTW on my sennheizers which lasted 5 years more before the cord pulled out and couldn't get a good soldered repair to work.

I guess I will check out neutral sounding sennheizers and keep a pair as back up because sennheizers seems to fit well as do the KRKs and I won't have to return them and buy different hoping to find a pair that actually fits good.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 5
What kind of listening do you use your headphones for?

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 5
What kind of listening do you use your headphones for?
for making music with computer software, for listing to synthesizers straight from the phones jack or guitar through audio interface, for hearing subtle details in video games.
the KRK 8400s have been great in terms of clarity and unbiased neutral sound spectrum, except that the pads for $35 and takes like a month to get (maybe longer all I have so far is yet another automated email that my pads are still backordered and will eventually arrive which gives me a feeling they'll be discontinued by the next time I need replacements).

I'm hoping there's a tried and true similar neutral pair of phones for around $150 which has been around for a while and thus has cheap and easy to get replacement pads. I've never actually had pads rip apart like this with the various ~$80 sennheizers I've owned before these. they are basically glued together and I think the heat of summer separated the glue and I don't want to put superglue near my ears although I doubt whatever they used to glue this is any 'safer' I just don't want crusty superglue there regardless, nor to stich them I was considering also.

This is one of those things I have to figure out myself I guess. I'm also very picky about fit. KRK 8400s fit me good though as did both sennheiszers I've owned which lasted about 6 years each but I tried a few other headphones before getting the KRK8400s and they didn't fit comfortably at all.

there I may have solved it already.
sennheiser hd 280 pro replacement pads $3 shipped on ebay. I'll take 8!
280 pros look like the fit which works well for me also. "Accurate, linear sound reproduction" but I will do a bit of research here first. But basically.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm not sure i could say the the low costing headphone ear pads (sold on eBay), are always the equal of the factory ear pads.
But for the low cost, you can by two (or even three) sets of ear pads, leave the extras sealed in the plastic wrap, as back up pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back