Phones just broke, need help picking new ones.
Oct 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Disarray

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sony MDR-7509's that just broke and I'm in the market for some new headphones. 

I'd like to keep the price under 600, but can go higher if I have to.

I loved my 7509's but there are a few things I hated about them that I'd prefer be absent from my next pair.

-The cord, you cant replace it, I'd prefer to be able to replace the cord.
-Plastic, I hate it (breaks to easy), I'd like these new ones to be made of a stronger material.

Also I love the way my 7509's feel on my head especially in comparison to some other headphones I've had the displeasure of using before like the Sens HDM 280's
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional-headphones-headsets-high-noise-environments_USHMD280-XQ

I worn those before and the way they squeeze your head is completely unbearable to me. So DO NOT rec a pair of phones that squeeze your head like a dam lemon please. 

I use my phones alot so comfort is probably the most important thing.

I mainly use these headphones for rock, rap, video games, movies and tv.

Also the soundcard based amp that I've been using (X-fi Forte) just died to and I'm thinking I should get a new one of these to so suggestions for this are welcome as well.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 4
The HD650's seem to be the ones to get from what I've read, but I heard they squeeze your head and they are made of plastic.

The DT990 sounds interesting, but their less than 200 and I was really looking for a upgrade over my 7509's what else?

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I have a pair of HD650s and I have not experienced the "clamping issue" that many complain of. I bought them new, so I suppose it really just matters how large your head is and how sensitive you are... You'll definitely want an amp though, as your budget allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back