Phones for under $100
Dec 10, 2001 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

spiroid

New Head-Fier
Hey, I’m looking for a good pair of Phones for under $100.
I already have Sony MDR-7506’s and use them for mixing, but i don’t particularly like listing to music on them.
They also are primarily going to be used with my portable MD player, so low ohm’s would be best.
They will need to be closed too, for i am listening on a noisy train. I would also like them to be circumstantial.
I know this is a lot to ask for under $100 but i can’t put together anymore.

Dec 10, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 17
huh. Closed. Can you spring an extra $17 for ety er6s? I haven't heard them, but ety isolation is famous, and they are suppossedly find w/o and amp.

Dec 10, 2001 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 17
There aren't many closed headphones under $100 that are better than the MDR-V6.

In fact, the only other models under $100 that are ever recommended are the Beyer DT231 (around $90), and the Koss UR20/UR30 ($25/$30), neither of which are usually considered "better" than the V6.

Since you'll be listening on a noisy train, I would second the recommendation of the Ety ER6, but that recommendation is based solely on my experience with other Etymotic models, and the discussion here on Head-Fi with Don Wilson of Etymotic. What can be said at this point is that they will offer better isolation than your V6 or other closed headphones.

Wait a few days, and you should see a bunch of reviews popping up on the ER6, since they just started shipping last Friday. If the reviews are positive, I would spend the extra $17 (total of $117) and give them a try. Since HeadRoom has a 30-day return policy, you can't go wrong.

Dec 10, 2001 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
In fact, the only other models under $100 that are ever recommended are the Beyer DT231 (around $90), and the Koss UR20/UR30 ($25/$30), neither of which are usually considered "better" than the V6.

Yeah, and I have no idea how it is that Headroom can recommend the Koss UR-20s. They're very dark, and somewhat boomy. Definitely not recommended. I haven't listened to the UR-30s, but if they're anything like the UR-20s they stink.

Dec 10, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, the thing is, they don't stink as much as many cans much more expensive, and they DO serve a purpose, ya know? Fine for gaming, and stuff.

Tried any 7506 mods yet?

Dec 10, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

TimSchirmer said...

for under 100 bucks, you cant go wrong with the grado sr-60

If you need headphones w/ good isolation, which this guy does, Grados would be a very bad idea.

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 17
I would recommend two choices. First of all is the Grado SR80, which retails for $95. Secondly, look in the Marketplace for an AKG 501/401 FYI post. THe AKG 401 is selling for $80, and it is a sweet headphone as well.

Dec 11, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, Rick_S and others, but both the Grados and the better AKGs are open, not closed. The original poster wants closed and good sound for under $100 - which is totally impossible. Thus, the Grados and the better AKGs are out, because the AKGs require an amp (today's portables can't deliver enough volume even at maximum setting), and the Grados let in way too much sound (thus requiring him to turn up the volume to ear-destroying levels just to hear anything at all). Moreover, he wants circumaural (around-the-ear) cans - and the Grados are supraural (on-the-ear).

Russ Arcuri, yeah, the Koss UR-20's stink (on an absolute scale), but most other closed full-size cans costing up to four times as much as those Kosses are EVEN WORSE!

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't really see what could satisfy this guy except for Etys 6'ers - if he can stand them.

Perhaps he shouldn't fear open cans so much... some of them (like my HP890 - though they aren't really suitable for portable use) block a lot of noise.

Dec 11, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 17
Sorry i haven't been abel to respond to you recommendations, i haven’t been home.

I’m a big fan of beyer do the Beyer DT231’s sound anything like DT770’s, i have these for home listening and love them.

In fact if someone can recommend a portable amp for under $100 to power my 770’s (250ohm’s), that would definitely be the way to go. The Total airhead is too much money for me ($170). I keep herring about the Altoid amp from JMT, but after endlessly searching the web for the company, i gave up.
How do you contact this “JMT”?

Dec 11, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 17
LOL! Sorry dude, JMT isn't a company, he's a fellow Head-fi member. Look him up in the members list and send him a Private Message (PM) about it.

Hey JMT, maybe you should think about incorporating yourself! I want to be able to look you up in the Yellow Pages.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back