phones for the gym?
Sep 2, 2008 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

centerfold

100+ Head-Fier
howdy!

I was wondering what would be good earphones to get for going to the gym. I currently have RE2s and UM1s, but I am afraid that the microphonics (oh the re2s, and just being able to hear my feet when I walk on the UM1s) might be bothersome when I am on the treadmill. I was thinking that maybe earbuds like the PK3/2s will do the trick. I don't want to spend too much as I do not go to the gym regularly (only when I feel unfit, or there is nothing else to do!)

Thanks in advance!

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 14
I just use the stock iphone earbuds for running, it stays in place surprisingly well. I tried to use my 6 year old ER4p to run with, the old stiff cable is too prone to microphonics, I can barely hear the music. Plus it tends to slip out of my ear canal, unike the stock earbuds.

If you are just using them for running, use the cheapest crap you can buy.

I use my Freqshows in the weight room, I don't sweat at all in my ears, so I'm not too worried.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 14
because this is head-fi
biggrin.gif

I just wanted to know if I should be bringing something other than what I have to the gym because what I have right now is not cheap (for me), and don't want to ruin them, so I was wondering what other people use when they go to the gym.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Apple buds, KSC75's and OMX90's. The buds fall out, the KSC's make my ears warm, and the OMX's move around. As such, I haven't found anything decent yet. Although a friend of mine claims that his Yuin OK3's are good for running with a particular rubber tip that comes in the kit. I'm going to try them this week.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 14
I've said it before, but for the gym.. buy the cheapest earbud your ego can afford. You're going to sweat a tonne. My Zune stock earbuds are corroding on the sides, but the great thing is.. I don't care. Don't care if I drop them, hook them on something, get them a little wet, jam them inside my gym bag with all the other sweaty stuff. One less thing to worry about so I can focus on working out/running.

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've said it before, but for the gym.. buy the cheapest earbud your ego can afford. You're going to sweat a tonne. My Zune stock earbuds are corroding on the sides, but the great thing is.. I don't care. Don't care if I drop them, hook them on something, get them a little wet, jam them inside my gym bag with all the other sweaty stuff. One less thing to worry about so I can focus on working out/running.

I agree, but nothing is more annoying that not being able to concentrate during a 10k run because every 30 seconds or so you have to either adjust a bud that's about to fall out, or if you didn't pay attention, had already fallen out. Quite frustrating.

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 14
IEMs are by their very nature not that good for running on a treadmill. The sweet is certain to mess up the seal you are getting, and the feeling of having sweet trapped in your ears isn't that good. A good clip on like the KSC75 is far better for running.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 14
My gym is so noisy I want isolation. I use my UM1 with Shure black foam tips. Even if I can hear my feet when I walk, it's better than the horrible pop music the play very loud. If I ran on a treadmill, I might have another opinion. I've been using IEMs for 3 years and so far the only way the they have been damaged hasn't been from sweat, but from snagging the long cord on the E3c.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it, why do people insist on trying to get the best sound on a treadmill when your sweat is likely to shorten the lifespan of your IEM?

For $260 you can get Super Freqs with a 2-year warranty, including loss/damage beyond repair coverage. After 2 years, you'll want something better anyway.
beyersmile.png
http://www.freqonline.com/superfreq.htm

Personally, I'm going with livewires. The LW looks like it has better build quality, and I love a swivel connector. Gold connectors will not have corrosion problems from the salt in sweat. The only opening is in the ear canal, where we do not sweat. Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones

Reading through the thousands of posts on both products, I did not see any issues with microphonics, and I saw a very favorable LW report for gym use.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 14
Looping IEMs over the ear tends to get rid of microphonics.
There's not so much* that can be done about bone conduction, though.

*I hear tips that go past the 2nd bend in the ear canal help, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back