Phones for jazz
Dec 7, 2004 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

dshook

New Head-Fier
Hello
Im looking for some reccomendations on headphones for mostly jazz/funk listening...at home (open pref), under $200 USD, amplified (porta corda)...

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #7 of 31
I'd second the K501 suggestion, but only by intuition because I'll have to wait a little more to put my hands on them.

Anyway, I'm very curious about the somewhat mysterious difference between K501 and the controversial HD595 for Jazz / acoustic / blues music, speaking of overall accuracy yet immediate involvment.

Dec 7, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 31
I'm a big fan of the HD580 for jazz. I listen to jazz more than anything else, e.g., John Coltrane, Clifford Brown, Bill Evans, Pat Metheny, etc., and each listening session with the HD580 is satisfying. Smooth, warm, enveloping -- this is how I like for jazz to be presented, and I find the HD580 to be great match for my taste.

Regarding Senn v. Grado, I agree that it's a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I find myself in the mood for some jazz through SR125, particularly live performances featuring guitar and drums. But when the accent is on horns, piano, acoustic bass, or even vocals, I usually reach for the Senns.

Dec 7, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshook
Hello
Im looking for some reccomendations on headphones for mostly jazz/funk listening...at home (open pref), under $200 USD, amplified (porta corda)...

Let me know what you think.

Cheers

What's wrong with the Grado SR225s? I've heard nothing but praise for their performance with jazz...

Plus they wouldn't need an amp like the Senn HD580s.

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 31
If you can find the Grado 225's for $200 (not sure of the retail price for these) then yes, I would think these would be in the top tier for Jazz. My personal all-time favourite jazz phones are the RS-1's.

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Anyway, I'm very curious about the somewhat mysterious difference between K501 and the controversial HD595 for Jazz / acoustic / blues music, speaking of overall accuracy yet immediate involvment.

Well, the HD 595 sounds a little livelier, but also a little grainy in the upper midrange - K501 sounds smoother and airier. I'd prefer the K501 - well, that is, forget about the would, I actually do prefer the K501. Depends a bit on the sort of jazz and type of recording, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 8, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 31
Like I've said before, one of my few gripes about the SR-80's is that they don't do jazz well. The instruments like Benny Goodman's Clarinet and the piano and such just sound too trebley, almost artificial in tone. Really not the way it's supposed to sound. Granted, there's great impact and a great overall sound, but there just really isn't a pure enough tone that comes out of these cups to satisfy me in this area.

Dec 8, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 31
I use the K501s at work with a PPA and Bass-boost. I think jazz sounds really nice as long as it's fairly mellow. Higher energy music makes me wish they had more impact, though. I don't have a problem with the bass they put out (like somef people). just... they are so "polite". I think I'll be getting some RS-1s in the near future - for a little more "BANG".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back