Phones for biking..?
Apr 19, 2007 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Koolind

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all...

Having a slight problem here...

Have begun cycling again (racing bike) and could use some music some times when on the road...

But... dont know what to get.. The main problem is wind noise...

The ideal phones would be a pair of isolating phones, that also allows me to hear the outside aswell so i dont end up killed by cars i cant hear or such... Must be able to hear a little, but not to much you know ?
smily_headphones1.gif

They also have to fit inside a helmet...

Had a pair of ksc-75, but almost could'nt hear the music because of the wind
plainface.gif

My main thought is a fairly cheap IEM... which IEM's isolate the least ? Was looking at a ETY6i.. but i guess they cut out almost all noise from the outsides...

Anyone with a solution to this problem ?

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 28
I cycle pretty much everywhere, offroad & on, and so far haven't eliminated wind noise without resorting to IEMs (but in traffic the isolation is too good & I don't like not hearing some twerp in a Beemer coming up, playing with himself as he cuts me up at 60mph!) - usually now I just use 75s & put up with the roar -which is only occasional, on very windy days I just ride silent.

(heh...ride silent, ride deep. Stealth motto!)

What about canals? For example, I tried Bass Freqs - the little port still let in some wind...but I remember some old Sonys I had being okayish in this respect. Not talking here 'bout SQ, mind!

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 28
Hmm... tough to strike a balance. Something like the JBL 220s might work but they might be too open. The CX300s are closed canalphones but still don't isolate so much that you can't hear the environment. Either way, I would recommend canalphones since they don't totally isolate like IEMs. For a cheap experiment you could try the JVC Marshmallows.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 28
The problem with DEEP INSERTION iems like the Etys is you'll hear your heartbeat, as well as your watch dangling on your arm, as well as the cord rubbing, as well as...

It sucks. I've been looking at IEMS that don't insert so deeply (or atleast appear to) like the UM2's and we'll see how those work out. At the current moment though, I wear KSC 75s. Also mainly because, they don't/won't wiggle or fall out.

right click save as.
http://www.getlocalized.com/bike%20stuff/MOV01771.MPG

If he wind is too unbearable...well....your next option is a set of cans, like SR60's or something small(er) and light. I wore DT770's OCCASIONALLY while riding
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 28
I use MX400's and they work great. They don't completely eliminate wind noise, but they do reduce it significantly. I generally Mountain Bike tho, so I'm not traveling at the same speed that you may be.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 28
Like the location jernmo!
Would you burn me on the climbs or the descents?
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 28
Most of the big descents around me are too gravely to go really fast. You can lock up the rears and just slide down the switchbacks.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 28
This gave me an idea. Since the wind is the only thing that distubrs you (cuz environmental noises is crucial to actually hear) THAT is what should be muted. So, could it be possible to mod the KSC75's with a windshield or something? So that the wind passes by without making any wooosh-sounds?

Which fabric could be used? Please share your thoughts and maybe it'll end up with a windshield-mod in the end
biggrin.gif
Hihi Something slim.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the big descents around me are too gravely to go really fast. You can lock up the rears and just slide down the switchbacks.

Ooooh yes....that skating-on-ice feeling!

(We could mutate this into an mtb thread......ok, maybe time to start one over in the lounge
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 28
Earbuds such as Senn MX500's and slipstreamz should work. The buds are open enough for you to hear traffic and the slipstreamz will block the wind noise. I've seen quite a few reveiws of them and they're all pretty positive.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 28
I remember my Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia weren't as isolating as my Etymotic ER6i's. The thing with the ER6i's is that a range of different ear buds exist and you can even mod them to suit (the rubber ones). You can also buy spares, which you cannot with the Sony - I kept on losing the buds, leaving me with a perfectly good pair of headphones but no way to put them on.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 28
I thought the Ety ER6i's were great for running. What I'd do is run the cord underneath my under armour and clip it to the neck of my shirt. As for the tips, I'd get some Shure clear rubber tips...they are great sounding as well as not as isolating as the tips that come with the ER6i's...they should fit.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with DEEP INSERTION iems like the Etys is you'll hear your heartbeat, as well as your watch dangling on your arm, as well as the cord rubbing, as well as...

It sucks. I've been looking at IEMS that don't insert so deeply (or atleast appear to) like the UM2's and we'll see how those work out. At the current moment though, I wear KSC 75s. Also mainly because, they don't/won't wiggle or fall out.

right click save as.
http://www.getlocalized.com/bike%20stuff/MOV01771.MPG

If he wind is too unbearable...well....your next option is a set of cans, like SR60's or something small(er) and light. I wore DT770's OCCASIONALLY while riding
tongue.gif

oh.. that sounds bad in so many ways.. The heartbeat would be very annoying... UM2's are maybe a little expensive to ride around with and sweat like a pig on.. hehe..

on my MTB i usually ride with a Pair of Philips SBC HS900 http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_SBC_...-30901915.html They are ok... but a little hot on warm days... have tried to ride with my MS1's also.. but they really catch the wind and make noice and makes the driver act funny because of turbulence (or how you spell it) but none of these would fit under a helmet though..

Have sold my ksc-75's as i dont liked them for the bike, which i bought them for...

how about a pair of Yuin PK2 then... they dont isolate.. but how much wind-noise they produce is hard to know...

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 28
I commute to work on my Mt Bike.
5 miles each way.
The best solution I have found:

Sennheiser PMX60 with one of those cold weather head/ear bands covering it.

Not premium but very nice sound. Extremely durable.
The cloth cuts the wind noise nicely but you can still hear the approaching Deadly Kamikaze Flagellating Beamer Driving Yuppies.

The only problem is the added heat from the cloth when it's hot out.
Sacrifices must be made......

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 28
I also ride my road bike and would really suggest using some open type of headphones. I use the clip type that rests on your ear. I get some wind noise, but safety first. I live in LA, so I battle the cars everytime I go out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back