phone with decent camera?
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
I need to get a new cell phone badly, as the 15 dollar go phone i've been using for a couple years cuts in and out constantly.

It would be to have a decent camera in my phone. My Nikon is too big to carry with me all the time.

So is there anything out there yet that is more of a camera with a phone attached, instead of a phone with a crappy camera attached? If the picture quality is bad, I'd be better off just getting a small Canon camera. I was looking at the Sony C905, but the images dont look so hot. here's a link to samples

Sony Ericsson | C905 Picture Quality

and I saw this, which looks good, but I'm not sure when/if it will come to the states
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/26/k...n-image-proce/

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 16
the phone i was gonna go for, [before someone here pointed out the n900] was the sony satio, 12mp camera, not really sure how good it is but its something to look at

my 2yo phone is doing exactly the same thing and on its very last legs lol

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 16
Also consider the Samsung Pixon12 m8910, or the m8920 if you are willing to wait a few months. I've used the 8910 and it is a beautiful unit. The general rule of thumb for camera phones is the higher resolution the better. This is obviously not true with digital cameras (look what happened from the canon G10 -> G11), but in the case of phones the entire camera portion is bought as a unit from X supplier so it can be said that the higher the resolution the better the components. The killer is the 8920 though, with optical zoom... and 720p 30fps video recording...*drool*

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 16
It doesn't look like either of those two Samsungs are out yet. Any idea how much they'll cost?

It still might be better to just get a cheap phone, and then get a canon digi camera, that I could just keep in my bag with me. I don't have any pictures for memory's sake at all...

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Those phones are also a bit overkill on other features. I don't need touch screen or internet browsing or anything like that. I'm not sure I'd want to pay the monthly fees even if I had them. It's too bad Canon doesn't stick a phone on one of their digital cameras

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those phones are also a bit overkill on other features. I don't need touch screen or internet browsing or anything like that. I'm not sure I'd want to pay the monthly fees even if I had them. It's too bad Canon doesn't stick a phone on one of their digital cameras

You probably shouldn't worry about the camera on the phone if you don't want the other features, good cameras on are fancy phones. Just buy a cheap point and shoot and carry that around with a cheap phone. The crappiest new point and shoot >~$100 will smoke any phone camera.

Best camera I've ever had in a phone was the Nokia N73ME, and even that camera is junk compared to the new $170 Samsung point and shoot I bought my wife. Although I actually had a picture taken with the Nokia published in a book
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 16
I think you're better off getting a small point & shoot camera and a phone. I don't know of any phones that are on par with simple point & shoots, and the camera on my phone is good for a phone (sh-01a).

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

It doesn't look like either of those two Samsungs are out yet. Any idea how much they'll cost?

It still might be better to just get a cheap phone, and then get a canon digi camera, that I could just keep in my bag with me. I don't have any pictures for memory's sake at all...

Uh the pixon m8910 has been out for almost a month now. GPS has no fees, and you don't necessarily need data. The built-in wi-fi will let you access hotspots. But as another poster has pointed out, normally the other phone features scale with the camera, or vice versa. The m8920 is really something else though, and won't be released until at least q1 2010. Gsmarena.com is your friend.

My significant other bought her m8910 from plemix.com but here in Canada a few other cell importers carry it as well. You are looking at about 7 bills for this shipped to your door, give or take. Which at that price point is probably a little out of what you want to spend if you are contemplating a cheap point and shoot.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 16
yeah if I was going to spend 7 bills, I'd get a canon G11 and a phone that comes free as an upgrade

edit: or for that matter, the G11 is only 500 bucks, so I could get an iphone as well. Why would you buy the Nokia over these two beasts?

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

yeah if I was going to spend 7 bills, I'd get a canon G11 and a phone that comes free as an upgrade

edit: or for that matter, the G11 is only 500 bucks, so I could get an iphone as well. Why would you buy the Nokia over these two beasts?

If you consider the iPhone a beast, then my argument will be lost on you
wink.gif
. The G11 is respectable. iPhone...is hype. If you want a beast of a phone, look at the Omnia HD. I think it's great that apple has amazing developer support, I really do. But their designs are stale (let's increase the processor clock and release another iPhone...) and at least 95% of what is available in terms of software is absolute junk.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 16
well you couldn't have said that 2 years ago. I still think it's crazy to have that much computer assistance in your pocket all the time. Not gonna go there yet.

And the G11 is certainly respectable for what it is...not going to dethrone my D3 though
biggrin.gif

I'll probably go with all the suggestions here and get a cheap phone that's much better than what I have now, and get a little Canon.

Any recomendations for cheap phones? The Sony Ericson slider looked nice at att

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k790/800 from SonyEricsson has the BEST mobile camera I've ever used....even better than the newer 5MP phones from SE!

I agree. Have a sonyericsson phone and they take pretty good photos

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Sony Ericsson is by far the best camera phones.

Look for their Kxxx models, that's their Cyber Shot™ models.

- Force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back