Phone w/ only USB-C out works with Apogee Groove or FiiO E17K
Apr 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mtliu

100+ Head-Fier
I wasn't sure where to put this thread since it involves a phone, portable DACs, and my 1more Triple-Driver IEMs.

I bought a no-name brand phone that only has USB-C out on it. It came with a dongle to allow using the standard 1/8" audio out, but it sounds pretty anemic. The phone was designed to be used with their proprietry phones - which look like mutant Apple Earpods. The included earpods sound good, but not great. Best I can tell is their proprietry techbology include some kind of processing to add more bass and sizzle. It's fun sound, but by no means accurate and not my form factor of choice.

On a whim, I bought a M-to-M USB-C to micro-USB cable - and plugged it into my Apogee Groove - lo and behold it works!!!! Then I tried the setup with the E17K - and it works too! This shouldn't surprise me since I got the same results with my old phone using a USB OTG cable. In both instances, there is no control at the system level over rates - but it is the APP that determines it and the DAC automatically locks into it. 

Like before, it also drains the battery. One thing annoying about this setup, even before using the DACs, is that out-of-box, there is no way to listen to music and charge the phone at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back