Phonaks and Turbines?
Apr 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Duffy1207

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there, haven't been snooping around on here for quite a while.
I lost my Denon C-751's on wednesday, which annoyed me alot, so I thought about coming on here and looking for some cheaper replacements.
Although I've now been contacted and told my headphones have been found, when I was looking around, i've seen all these new phones like PHonak audios and monster turbines etc.
Could someone put these into perspective for me on terms of how good they are/what they compare to/what they sound like?

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 19
What have you heard, and what did you want the comparisons to? Fullsize cans or other IEM's?

I'd say compared to your Denons, the Turbines may be more your thing.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 19
wow, i feel privileged to own all three! each are great phones for the price but they each are very different. if you like the denon, the monster are more similar when compared to the phonak phones including fit and ear pieces. both phones do very well at rendering music.

the phonaks are closer to a linear output which may or may not be your sound and the monster are more bass-oriented.

both are reasonably well made and both have been shown to have cable issues, however the monster are by far the more sturdily built phone. as far as i can tell, they can be had for much less than their 179$ market price which i think they are worth.

the pfe are well worth it too at 139$ or 159$ for the mic'd unit. the pfe isolate more with the complies than the turbine could hope for stock. however, with comply foamies, the turbine too are very good isolators.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 19
The Turbines are very good at their price, I agree. If you like the C751's, you'll find that the Turbines do all that the Denons do, but with even more articulate bass, better mids, and at least equal on the highs. Sony EX tips open them up in the treble/soundstage over stock tips, and are a great match, IMO.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 19
Depends if you like BA or dynamics...
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 19
Yeah! And that's always such a fun discussion! Heh heh.
deadhorse.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 19
NOOOOOO! no BA or DynAM discussion! please! I am tired and need rest. I will resist any attempt to force me to discuss earphone politics!

But it does depend on what sound you like. Some BA and Dynamics sound similar but they never feel similarly.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 19
CHeers for all the feedback, I'm eagerly awaiting my Denon's to arrive in the post, I got very lucky to lose them in a place that actually looked them for and promised to post them back.

The point of this thread was more to catch up on the new earphones I've missed out on since not coming on here for a while, I tried searching didn't find too much.

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your search must be broken. Plenty of new stuff since the Denons appeared.

I've only been off a couple of months, just tried to catch up on stuff.
If people didn't ask questions and just searched, the forums would die down quite considerably, wouldn't they?

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only been off a couple of months, just tried to catch up on stuff.
If people didn't ask questions and just searched, the forums would die down quite considerably, wouldn't they?

Your post said "awhile" and you were asking about potential replacements for the Denons (which have been around for a couple of years now), so no way I could know the length since you last visited. Not saying the search is for every instance, but sometimes just scanning the thread topics is about all the searching needed to learn about new phones, etc. And that's not too bad, since the OP in the threads are dated, so you could pinpoint any new stuff in the past couple of months easily. Just sayin.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Agreed. I hate it when I leave for a month or 2 and come back because I'm a little lost and have to read up on countless topics about the same thing.

Agreed, thats what kind of threw me, kept seeing the same thing over and over and didn;t learn much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post said "awhile" and you were asking about potential replacements for the Denons (which have been around for a couple of years now), so no way I could know the length since you last visited.

Sorry, thought I'd made it clearer in the 1st post. I did search quite a bit, but I thought starting up the thread could get all the info I need in one place rather than snooping around for ages. I just don't like being behind, as I can't contribute to the mojority of threads asking about these new earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back