Phonak VS UE VS Shure
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Chorejas

New Head-Fier
Hey all, Is anybody out there who has tried at least two of the next IEM's:

a) Phonak Audeo PFE
b) UE Super.Fi 5
c) Shure SE115

And can tell me which one do you like the best?

I'm planing to buy my first pair of IEM's which will replace my Sony MDR-A10 Turbo (made for Discman) headphones. I'm not planning to pay more than $150 shipped, so that's why I'm narrowing my search.

I'm looking for some IEM's that are not harsh or too bassy, but I do want something that offers cristal clear sound and decent bass and mid's.

I enjoy listening to Alternative, synth music, pop, some jazz and some classical.

My source is a DAP Sony 728 for now, and I'm looking forward to get the iPod touch. Thanks
L3000.gif

UPDATE:

Well, after being anxious all this morning and checking the fedex website at least every 2 hours to follow my PFE's trip...they finally arrived. When I got home, the Fedex truck was parking in front of my place and I didn't even give the driver a chance to walk more than 3 steps away from his truck...Shipping was really fast and they seem to be in great conditions, no cracks on the earphone's bodies.

I'm not planning on adding an extensive review, but just a few thoughts about these earphones whenever I consider I am ready to. I'll give them some hours to burn in and I'll play around with the filters, pads and EQ on my DAP to see what they can do for my music, but for now I'll leave you some pictures of them, enjoy...I'll do too

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 31
I owned the 210's a while back though an iPod touch, and wasn't terribly impressed with them, especially for the price. The isolation was really good, but i felt kinda iffy about the whole thing aside from that. So, I'm thinking that the 115s can't be much better than that, especially considering that they're a step down? The mids were okay, if I remember correctly, but I didn't consider them worth the 150$ I spent on them.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 31
Gonna be straight up and make it short. Unless its the top of the line Shure/UE models (SE530, TF10), go with the PFE.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 31
Looks like PFE are for you. It will pump out the detail that you want from classical/alternative/jazz yet still slam out bass for pop.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 31
If those are your only choices the PFE is the best option. It has two different sound signatures with the Grey and black filter. If you want to take to another level. You can buy a $20 amp (Fiio E5) later when upgraditis strikes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 31
Yeah, I've heard that Shure low end models are not the best or don't show the real quality of the brand.

So far:

a) Phonak PFE: 4
b) UE Super.Fi 5: 0
c) Shure SE115: 0

Anybody else?, or any other brand in the range 130~150's??

Thanks guys

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 31
I owned the SF 5 (v2) and sent them back within a week. Just seemed dull to me, could not get the sound I expected from a UE product. The PFEs are a better IEM. Both have the side-firing driver configuration, from what I read (see dfkt's PFE review), but Phonak has executed it better. And, I believe, the Phonak "cracking" issue with the black PFEs seems to have been resolved, since most people who received replacements have not had more issues.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chorejas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've heard that Shure low end models are not the best or don't show the real quality of the brand.

So far:

a) Phonak PFE: 4

Anybody else?, or any other brand in the range 130~150's??

Thanks guys

Yes this is true. The PFE can compete with or beat all of the Shure models except the SE530's which does dominates the phonaks and puts it in it's 1 driver place.

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 31
I just got my PFEs in a few days ago, I love them! I haven't ever owned any other headphones but for me, these are great. They work for my Techno, NIN, and Tool (which sounds just fing amazing, you have to listen to some Tool if you get these), Opeth sounds great too.

Sounds great for all my stuff
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 31
I have the ultimate ears super fi 5 pro and the shure se530PTH... haven't heard the Phonaks. I know money is tight but I've owned several IEMs and none sound better to me than the Shure. For me, their best asset is that they sound great on low quality recordings and make them sound as good as possible, rather than show up their flaws. That is worth the extra $150 you are willing to spend in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 31
Well, I think we have a winner here:

a) Phonak PFE: 7
ksc75smile.gif

I'll order them today, I'll give them a shot and let you know my personal impressions and hopefully I won't have to deal with the crack issue associated with the PFE's lately. thanks everybody for your feedback.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back