Phonak Audeo's, right out of the box!
Feb 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Lucille

Head-Fier
I've had these baby's for several weeks now, and they really rock!

I am not as 'smart' or savy as some of you cats... I got my phonaks, took them out and left them stock as they came out of the box, squished the tips and inserted into my ears...

pluged them into the laptop and was blown away with the sound. My Dell E1705 sounds awesome with them, and volume isn't a problem as the laptop can power them mighty loud... I am using windows media player and found distortion with the EQ on, something I never noticed with the cheaper head phones, turned off the EQ and the sound quality improved.

I mainly listen to 1950's music, and the Vocal group harmony never sounded better... Some tracks have great seperation from say the bassman to the lead tenor.... I have noticed that the upright bass found in 50's music really came alive with these IEM's... This really isn't a booming bass but rather you can really hear the slapping effect very prominent that is found in 50's music..

I am in the process of converting my many many CD's/Albums to high bit rate MP3 and am having a ball, rediscovering my music again, thanks to the Phonaks... They made my music fun in a way I never imagined... (Right now I am ripping/listening to Chuck Willis)..

I also purchased a Zune 120 which I know I will fill up with my collection, I have slowly syncing the songs to the Zune and listening..(it blows me away that I can have my entire collection in the palm of my hands..wow)

The Phonaks sound sweet on the Zune but the volume lacks, I often have to be at a volume of 17 or above (20 is max)...This cuts into battery life.. The Zune has a better sound then the laptop but lacks the volume, none the less, I have enjoyed sleeping with the Zune and the very comfortable Phonaks, the only headphone I have owned that I can sleep with.. (Not that I have owned many)..

So I am using the stock tips and grey filters that came installed. I find the deeper I insert the Phonaks the better bass I get...

The Phonaks also make watching TV shows killer on the laptop, Ghost hunters sounds incredible, not to mention 24 and Terminator..

In short, the Phonaks have made life more enjoyable, what more can one ask from a $128 headphone?

Now tell me hepcats, are you living?

zune120.jpg

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 15
Congratulations! Gald you are enjoying them. They are a steal considering how good they sound.

Do you find the isolation better or worse as you stick them deeper into the ear?

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 15
Cool! Be sure to join Team Phonak (see sig).

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Gald you are enjoying them. They are a steal considering how good they sound.

Do you find the isolation better or worse as you stick them deeper into the ear?

it stays the same, just bass improves a bit, again this is with the grey filters.

Isoltion isn't the best with these as you probably know, but I don't mind, as I have a house full of Birds and youngsters and I still need to hear when a fight breaks out, so for me, the isolation that they do provide, is perfect, as I still need to hear the louder sounds going on around me....

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by schneller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Be sure to join Team Phonak (see sig).

the Hepkitty already joined up with the rest of the hepsters!

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 15
Welcome to PFE world.

Check out the FiiO E5 amp for a little volume/bass boost with the Zune (I have the Zune80). Works well cause I have the same issue with some tracks. And the amp is tiny, so not too obtrusive. They cost like $22.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to PFE world.

Check out the FiiO E5 amp for a little volume/bass boost with the Zune (I have the Zune80). Works well cause I have the same issue with some tracks. And the amp is tiny, so not too obtrusive. They cost like $22.

I suspect Phonak being a hearing aide company made these with a lower volume for a reason.... Where can I purchase this amp and does it have to be plugged in or does it have a rechargeable battery?

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect Phonak being a hearing aide company made these with a lower volume for a reason.... Where can I purchase this amp and does it have to be plugged in or does it have a rechargeable battery?

Rechargeable battery, pretty decent lifespan. There is a long thread on the E5 on the Portable amp forum. I got mine here (link below), and while it takes a little time to arrive (from China), it did show up in about two weeks. Another alternative (a little higher cost) is Head-Direct.com, which is U.S.-based importer from China.

DealExtreme: $19.00 FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (Black) *Pre-order*

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 15
I enjoyed reading your experience with the Phonaks. If the lacking Zune volume gets to be problem you could add a small amp such as the iBasso T4 which is what I've been using with my Phonaks when I use one of my small DAPs.The T4 sounds very good with plenty of power despite its tiny size. I paid $131 total for mine.

I remember when I bought my first semi-large capacity DAP, it was the Zen Vision:M 30GB. I had it packed full with around 3,000 songs...very cool thing I thought and very addicting considering the fact that I have way too many of these toys today.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed reading your experience with the Phonaks.

Honey, I'll tell you, I realize there are better IEM's then the Phonak Audeo's, but they are many more that don't compare to them...

When the Phonaks first arrived I opened the box and ensured I had everything, and also that I knew how to put them on..

I then sampled Mickey and Silvias 'Mommy Out the Light' and Chuck Willis's 'I'll Be So Glad When Your Heart Is Mine' with my normal cheap heaphones/earbuds, and it sounded decent, as I sat there rather lifeless but yet enjoying my music.

They I tried the same songs with the Phonaks fresh out of the box... and something happened...

My head began to bob.... then bob some more...my feet began to tap, then tap some more, head bobin' and toe tappin', before you knew it the Kitty was out of her seat and rockin' to the sweat beat..... And thats what these IEM's do for you... Don't just listen to music, but live it!

That is a simple testimony of these sweet heaphones, from a normal person whom doesn't know all the square terms, but who knows how to really Rock'n Roll!

Anybody out there considering a new set of IEM's, sure there are better, but these make life more enjoyable, and leave you with some change to spare..

Rock on Hepcats!

Lucille

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 15
You nailed it Lucille - they really do rock and have that energy that is needed for that kind of music. For other kids of music, they sound natural (unamplified music). I just can't find anything glaringly wrong about the sound, and that's rare.

While I miss the isolation, I'm realizing that it is nice to be able to hear just enough around me to still be able to hear things that are necessary. So, it's necessarily a bad thing.

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably more for the portable section...but is the Zune's Output that weak?

I don't think it is, as it is rather loud with its stock (and crappy) earbuds..

I think Phonak makes their IEM's to be on the low volume side of things being that they are a hearing aide company..

It could also be my music being primary 1950's material.

But, my laptop can make the Phonaks get real loud, and the Zune can't...

I am still very satisfied with both the Zune and the Phonaks...

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

It depents on person. Me and some friends who try Zune with PFE have no problem with power. Volume is good on something like 11/20.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

No, not weak. I'm with Lucille on this one. With the Zune, I sometimes need the E5 to get enough sound from the PFEs, and older recordings could have something to do with it (some of the newer "hot" mixed tracks no amp needed). With the W3s or even the Turbines or PK3s, no amp needed with the Zune, but the volume on older recordings is quieter. The PFEs also have trouble delivering enough volume with my two Clips. I just use the E5, and problem gone. For sitting around at home listening, the Minbox E+ and either the Zune, even better the Touch via LOD, really brings out the best in the PFEs.

I am with Dane. The PFEs were made for an amp (a great combo), though they also sound very nice without one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back