Phonak Audeo?
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #2,178 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give the rest of us some advice on how to get a set of these? Did your local audiologist do this, and if so, what was the cost. They look really great!

Hi, as I've mentioned a few pages ago when I posted pictures\details of the full-seal mould, they're made at a local optic\hearing-aid chain here (Indonesia) for very cheap. The acrylic and silicones are about $12.50/pair and the biopore models are $25/pair. The price is all in (from making the ear impressions to remaking the units if they don't fit well)... so, I just had to try out all the different styles and materials for my IEMs
biggrin.gif

You should check with your local audiologist about it. If they don't specifically provide service to make 'custom moulds for in-ear-monitors\earphones', then you might want to ask them if they can make custom moulded ear plugs for swimming. I'm guessing it's just a matter of using a dremel at the right spot from that point on *G*

@Toughnut: Thanks!

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #2,179 of 2,281
so the cables harden eh? when i looked at them that was a worry of mine immediately but ive had them only one day so i cannot comment. the cable seems very similar to the victor fx500 which though soft and great for microphonics is not a laster.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #2,181 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, as I've mentioned a few pages ago when I posted pictures\details of the full-seal mould, they're made at a local optic\hearing-aid chain here (Indonesia) for very cheap. The acrylic and silicones are about $12.50/pair and the biopore models are $25/pair. The price is all in (from making the ear impressions to remaking the units if they don't fit well)... so, I just had to try out all the different styles and materials for my IEMs
biggrin.gif

You should check with your local audiologist about it. If they don't specifically provide service to make 'custom moulds for in-ear-monitors\earphones', then you might want to ask them if they can make custom moulded ear plugs for swimming. I'm guessing it's just a matter of using a dremel at the right spot from that point on *G*

@Toughnut: Thanks!

Somehow I don't think it will be $12.50/pair here in the States. Probably closer to $50/pair if I'm lucky. I'll make some calls next week and see what I can find out. Thanks for the info!

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2,182 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if they all harden but mine are definitely stiffer where the bend goes around my ear. So far it hasn't caused any problems but I'm worried that over time they will crack.

Hmm... Cable is always a problem for all IEM companies but so far PFEs are holding up nicely after all the abuses I've done. (cold cold weather (-5c), sitting on top, sleeping on top, twisting while sleeping, squishing in my bag, etc.)

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2,184 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
minus 5? i guess i slightly abused my other phones which suffered in minus 30, and plus 40 whilst bicycling and sweating so much they popped out. i use some of my choicest equipments!

Haha. I just realized that you live in Toronto. I live in New England and it's relatively colder here than other states but I guess you guys get the worst of it. Minus 30 is really extreme. I wonder what phones you were using.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #2,186 of 2,281
I dont have very good news regarding my PFEs 112 (black model)
frown.gif

I had already noticed some cracks in the left earphone, exactly as others have reported, but it didnt get bigger.
Today I've also noticed a new big crack in the right earphone, in a different place, near the wire.

I have being very careful with this IEMs, they are carried inside a sennheiser hard case and stored inside a drawer when not in transport...etc. etc. very careful...

The cracks just appear over time. I've received them at 18/02/2009, so they have 1 month and 1 week
frown.gif

I've bought this from a German site and I live in Portugal.
Does anyone knows if I should contact the german shop for replacement or should I contact Phonak (audeopfe@phonak.com) ?
Question is if I'll have to pay the delivery costs to send the IEMs to warranty replacement...?

LEFT earphone:.......................RIGHT earphone:
Attachment 15506 Attachment 15507 Attachment 15508 Attachment 15509

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2,187 of 2,281
It's a known fact I love the PFE sound, and I have been lucky with my white pair (nary a crack), but it seems time that Phonak step up and maybe recall these black phones, or something. I feel sorry for the folks who bought them overseas. Has Phonak officially admitted there is a QC issue, etc.? Have they investigated the issue, and are replacements holding up? Is Mr. Brown reading this thread? Just curious if the replacement PFEs are staying in one piece. Anyone have two fail (via the infamous cracking?).

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #2,188 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. I just realized that you live in Toronto. I live in New England and it's relatively colder here than other states but I guess you guys get the worst of it. Minus 30 is really extreme. I wonder what phones you were using.

audio technica ck10 and the um2 also was at the temp. but for longevity, the ck10 are the best phones i have ever seen. high quality sound tubes, rubber coating, not crackable plastic and tiny: so not to put too much weight and strain on the cables.

honestly, audio technica's top end iems are in a world their own for build quality. their only problem is the straight angle headphone jack.

Mar 25, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #2,189 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica ck10 and the um2 also was at the temp. but for longevity, the ck10 are the best phones i have ever seen. high quality sound tubes, rubber coating, not crackable plastic and tiny: so not to put too much weight and strain on the cables.

honestly, audio technica's top end iems are in a world their own for build quality. their only problem is the straight angle headphone jack.

They sure look sturdy. I kinda wonder why there's so little known about AT earphones compared to their headphones. I wasn't even aware of CK10's until now. How do they sound like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back