Phonak Audeo?
Mar 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #2,056 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by radagast85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn you guys... now i'm back in black!
biggrin.gif
(filter-wise obviously)

Last time I tried them out I wasn't really impressed, I quite missed the forward mids of the greys. This time I'll try to leave them on for some time to try and get used to them and see if I still don't like 'em then...

Welcome to the dark side

Enjoy your stay
very_evil_smiley.gif

After one or 2 listens, you'll love them

You do want to EQ them a notch, that really puts them in stride (Acoustic on ipod touch works like a CHARM, its like click bad click bad click bad, acoustic click OMG)

I think for those who don't have an amp, black really sounds more balanced IMO..

I hate how fragile black filters are though, I busted 2 of them already... (actually from long ago when I first put em in, some gray stuff was already sticking out, so maybe they were bust and I didn't like 'em then)

Can someone tell how much a box of filters is ?

Also, how do you clean the IEM body and the wire? and also the silicons? I usually just use the tool provided and then wash them in running water..

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #2,057 of 2,281
fiio e5 arrived
now the pfe sounds slightly richer, if that makes sense
i need to set the ipod's volume to max though
otherwise the e5 would hiss
even the no-bass-boost option seem to add a tiny bit of bass
maybe that explains the slightly richer, fuller (warmer?) sound

haven't decided which sound i like yet...

Mar 11, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #2,058 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fiio e5 arrived
now the pfe sounds slightly richer, if that makes sense
i need to set the ipod's volume to max though
otherwise the e5 would hiss
even the no-bass-boost option seem to add a tiny bit of bass
maybe that explains the slightly richer, fuller (warmer?) sound

haven't decided which sound i like yet...

Get a small line out dock and velcro the E5 to the back of the ipod, and that will take the sound quality up a notch.

Mar 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2,060 of 2,281
hm...probably un-scientific comparison, but, from the headphone out of Creative's Gigaworks T20 series ii, fiio reduces the clarity of the pfe's. It's clearer if i plug the pfe's straight into the T20.

is that expected?

if that is, i guess that means i'll be giving/selling the e5 to someone...

how much would decent interconnects change the sound? quite a bit, i guess? @@

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2,061 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm...probably un-scientific comparison, but, from the headphone out of Creative's Gigaworks T20 series ii, fiio reduces the clarity of the pfe's. It's clearer if i plug the pfe's straight into the T20.

is that expected?

if that is, i guess that means i'll be giving/selling the e5 to someone...

how much would decent interconnects change the sound? quite a bit, i guess? @@

I gave my E5 200 hours of burn-in and at the end it sounded a little more open and spacious than at the start. I didn't listen enough in between to know if it only needs 20 hours or 100 hours or exactly how much time. Via a $50 SPC LOD made by barqy the E5 sounds as detailed with PFE as the PFE directly into the headphone out now.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2,062 of 2,281
yea i thought burning might help, so now i'm just playing whatever it is on my old ipod to it via headphone out. will try an LOD cable when i get back to hong kong for easter

thanks!

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #2,063 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by radagast85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn you guys... now i'm back in black!
biggrin.gif
(filter-wise obviously)

Last time I tried them out I wasn't really impressed, I quite missed the forward mids of the greys. This time I'll try to leave them on for some time to try and get used to them and see if I still don't like 'em then...

Me too. When I compared the black and gray, the grays were better, but listening to the black for a few days now has really made me appreciate them.

I don't think it's about one being better (although I still like grays if pressed on the issue). It's just more about a different flavor. Two incredible IEMs in one.

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #2,064 of 2,281
Fiio much better suited to the greys than black, IMO.

Has anyone tried a sansa fuze - LOD - goodish amp - Phonaks combination? As much as I like my D2, I just love the clip / phonak sound, just curious to see if the Fuze might be an option. Sometimes I think fewer EQ options are actually better, allows one to 'accept and enjoy' rather than tinker endlessly...

Mar 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2,065 of 2,281
Hey guys, I'm planning on picking up a pair of these and was wondering if the mic and control functions are compatible with an ipod classic 120gb. It only says it's compatible with the iphone, but I've read that the similar mic and control functions of the NE-7M does work with the classic. I haven't heard anything about the PFE's though and was hoping someone here would know something about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2,066 of 2,281
I've just bought the PFEs. At first they didn't seem much better than my marshmellows, but after switching back to the marshmellows and then back to the PFEs again, I could hardly believe how much better the PFEs are. The marshmellows are very cheap disposable iems though, so I don't really know what I was expecting!
The PFEs are my first pair of "premium" iems, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I certainly recommend people buy them. They are fairly cheap after all and you can always return them if you instantly dislike them.
I first heard about them on these forums and decided that fairly good ratings + obscure brand (hearing aid company) sounded good.
So far I've tried a bit of Coldplay, U2, Duffy and The Killers. They all sound so much better!

Anyway, only three hours of listening to these and I love them!

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2,067 of 2,281
Wow, I basically have the exact same story as Tams except I had the Creative EP-630 instead of the Marshmallows, only 1 hour to listen to them, and listened to Dream Theater and some classical music instead. It's really hard to decide but I think I prefer the black filters a bit more.

Mar 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #2,068 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought the PFEs. At first they didn't seem much better than my marshmellows, but after switching back to the marshmellows and the back to the PFEs again, I could hardly believe how much better the PFEs are...

At first I was
eek.gif
confused_face_2.gif
but then you redeemed yourself.

Congrats and enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2,069 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwcl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm planning on picking up a pair of these and was wondering if the mic and control functions are compatible with an ipod classic 120gb. It only says it's compatible with the iphone, but I've read that the similar mic and control functions of the NE-7M does work with the classic. I haven't heard anything about the PFE's though and was hoping someone here would know something about it. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

There is a version w/o a mic for 20 bucks less that would work just fine with the lcassic. Or are you hoping to get a pair that would work w/ both the classic and iphone?

Mar 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #2,070 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwcl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's only $20 more, so you might as well buy the version with the mic, as it isn't very intrusive and you could then use them with any future DAP or phone you get. According to an official PDF I found and on the official website, the microphone and multifunction button should work with any phone. I've only used them with an iPod Shuffle 2g and the button didn't work, but it was only a shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back