Phonak Audeo?
Mar 2, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #1,906 of 2,281
Yeah, I never tried that, but I heard it works really, really well. If I wasn't already satisfied with the amount of bass with my SE530 (PFFFFF!
biggrin.gif
) I would probably use that software.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #1,907 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phonaks' are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, unless the weather has changed that. I plan to use the grays or even no filters and my SF 5 silicone tips. The same tips that darken and veil the 5's might just do the trick on the Phonaks.

My hearing might be sensitive and picky but the E3 all together and E5 bass boost mode are both a no-go on the Ultimate Ears. I can hear the clarity loss and refuse to use it. I would expect the Phonak to yield similar results. The bass quality loss is not worth the bass quantity gain to me. I do find I can use the stock FiiO interconnects which sound a bit warmer/darker instead of better ones to give a slightly warmer sound that is enjoyable and less degrading. I also have a couple of the better EQ equipped players and a Sony that is warmer to begin with.

doubt if ue's tips work with phonaks. the diameter of the tube of phonaks are smaller than ue's

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #1,908 of 2,281
If anyone wants to get some really nice bass EQ going, get a player that can use Rockbox. I use a 5.5G iPod and with an amp it can dish out enough bass to make the drivers beg for mercy. lol

It has a pre-cut feature so no fear of clipping/distortion. Down to 20 Hz is plenty eh? Same thing on the other end...can really add a sweet sparkle.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,909 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photofan1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do the Ipod distort when the equalizer is on?
Well, the problem comes from the fact the some tracks are recorded "on the edge" of the gain clipping. The edge is (for instance) -0,1 db. Some songs are recorded so that peak never exceeds for instance -6,0 db. In this case, when you activate the equalizer on your ipod, the bass is pushed (for instance 5 db), there is still some room for not to clip (distort). But if the track was recorded close to the edge (like -1,0 db), when you activate your equalizer, that boosts some frequencies with, say 5 db, then the resulting level exceeds the edge, that is -0,1, and you can hear distortion.
Sorry for what I'll say
tongue.gif
, but on good players, that is, players with a good equalizer as Sony, Cowon, Iriver, or even Creative, even in the "worst" case of a song recorded close to the edge, the player will automatically reduce the gain before equalizing, so that there will be no clipping.

There is a solution, however. There is a program called "mp3 gain" (freeware), with which you can reduce the gain of your songs, and it works in batch process. For instance, you can select a whole folder, and choose to reduce the gain by 5db, so that the equalizer will not distort.
You may want to try several values, as when you select a too high value, you lose the same amount of volume on your player. But that shouldn't be a problem as ipod have no volume limit in the US.
Here we go
wink.gif

Very cool, thanks for that.

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #1,910 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommended my dad get the Sony A728, and when he got it, I spent hours listening to it with my SE530. I never once heard the Sony distort. What it does is when you push the bass too hard, it kind of dips the upper frequencies whenever the bass hits, giving the "illusion" of more bass. This obviously isn't the same as more bass, but at least it doesn't distort.

I just shuffled through some random songs on my iPhone 3G with the EQ set to Bass Booster, and 13 out of the 15 songs that otherwise don't distort distorted with the EQ on.

EDIT: Also, about the whole not having real-world experience thing because I don't have the PFEs, I understand that. But honestly, if I can hear distortion with my SE530s and the PFEs are more revealing than they are, what would that lead you to believe the results would be if I tried the iPhone 3G + Phonaks combo?
biggrin.gif

Not sure if the 530 and the PFE is apples to apples in this specific situation. All I know is that when I have the LOD and T4 hooked up to my Touch 2G, and if the EQ is set to bass boost, which isn't always, I only get distorted bass on bass-heavy, more recently mastered tracks. So in your case, you get distortion, in mine, with the PFEs, I don't. THat is why you comment about nothing but distortion was really only based on your use of the Touch with the 530s, not the PFEs, which for whatever reason, don't distort as easily. Or, your music collection has more tracks that distort using the Touch/iPhone EQ.

I am not saying the EQ on the Touch is superior to the Sony, because it is not. I am just saying under those circumstances, I can on occasion use the bass boost successfully, and it doesn't seem to be as frequent as 13 of 15 tracks.

As for the Sony v. Touch, I prefer the SQ from the Touch HP out over the A818, just my preference, as I feel the Touch has a better soundstage with the EQ off, whereas the Sony to me seems flat and uninteresting without messing with the EQ.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #1,911 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if the 530 and the PFE is apples to apples in this specific situation. All I know is that when I have the LOD and T4 hooked up to my Touch 2G, and if the EQ is set to bass boost, which isn't always, I only get distorted bass on bass-heavy, more recently mastered tracks.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I use the headphone out. I don't have a LOD (or an amp for it to connect to
biggrin.gif
). Maybe that's what makes the difference, maybe it's not. I know it's not exactly apples to apples when I'm talking about my experience with my SE530s, but the bottom line is I just don't like Apple's EQ whereas I quite enjoy Sony's EQ and find it very useful. That's all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the Sony v. Touch, I prefer the SQ from the Touch HP out over the A818, just my preference, as I feel the Touch has a better soundstage with the EQ off, whereas the Sony to me seems flat and uninteresting without messing with the EQ.

Gosh, I don't find the Sony sounding flat or uninteresting even with the EQ off. But yeah, just personal preference I guess.

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,914 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sony isn't flat by default... it's got a loudness curve to make it sound more appealing (can be turned off in the service menu).
wink.gif

Service menu?
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #1,916 of 2,281
Never knew about that. I knew about Sony bumping the treble and bass to make it sound more appealing (which is fine by me, because I like it
bigsmile_face.gif
) but I never knew about an actual hidden service menu. Thanks.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,917 of 2,281
Photofan you're a genius! I just ran mp3gain on one of my albums which was producing a lot of distortion with the iPhone 3G bass boost and wow
L3000.gif
what a difference! No distortion that I can hear! I need to conduct a few more tests before I run it through my whole library but I'm pumped that it might make the iPhone EQ usable.

I still think that the E5 sounds a little cleaner but there are so many times that I want to run the PFEs to the iPhone directly so that I can use the mic and controls. Thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photofan1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do the Ipod distort when the equalizer is on?
Well, the problem comes from the fact the some tracks are recorded "on the edge" of the gain clipping. The edge is (for instance) -0,1 db. Some songs are recorded so that peak never exceeds for instance -6,0 db. In this case, when you activate the equalizer on your ipod, the bass is pushed (for instance 5 db), there is still some room for not to clip (distort). But if the track was recorded close to the edge (like -1,0 db), when you activate your equalizer, that boosts some frequencies with, say 5 db, then the resulting level exceeds the edge, that is -0,1, and you can hear distortion.
Sorry for what I'll say
tongue.gif
, but on good players, that is, players with a good equalizer as Sony, Cowon, Iriver, or even Creative, even in the "worst" case of a song recorded close to the edge, the player will automatically reduce the gain before equalizing, so that there will be no clipping.

There is a solution, however. There is a program called "mp3 gain" (freeware), with which you can reduce the gain of your songs, and it works in batch process. For instance, you can select a whole folder, and choose to reduce the gain by 5db, so that the equalizer will not distort.
You may want to try several values, as when you select a too high value, you lose the same amount of volume on your player. But that shouldn't be a problem as ipod have no volume limit in the US.
Here we go
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #1,918 of 2,281
For those with a Touch, try the "Deep" EQ.

Its like a bass-boost without the distortion.
biggrin.gif

Btw, if I buy a E5, how much better will the sound be if I use a LOD vs. I use the stock IC?

edit: hmm, if this mp3 gain thing works, I may just run it through my library, use bass boost and kill my plans of the e5
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #1,919 of 2,281
Sansa Clip--> FiiO E5 (bass boost on)--> PFE's (grey filters.)
Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Comments?
Waiting anxiously for the E5 to swim to the states from China.
Anyone have any experience with this setup?
It seems as if it should be complimentary.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #1,920 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubafish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip--> FiiO E5 (bass boost on)--> PFE's (grey filters.)
Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Comments?
Waiting anxiously for the E5 to swim to the states from China.
Anyone have any experience with this setup?
It seems as if it should be complimentary.

Search the thread - several people have discussed a similar combo and seem to like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back