Phonak Audeo?
Mar 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #1,891 of 2,281
I don't know about Cowon's players, but Sony's Clear Bass + EQ is all sorts of awesomeness.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #1,892 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Phonaks' are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, unless the weather has changed that. I plan to use the grays or even no filters and my SF 5 silicone tips. The same tips that darken and veil the 5's might just do the trick on the Phonaks.

Don't you think you might have to wait with those verdicts until you actually heard the PFE?
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #1,893 of 2,281
Quote:

My Phonaks' are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, unless the weather has changed that. I plan to use the grays or even no filters and my SF 5 silicone tips. The same tips that darken and veil the 5's might just do the trick on the Phonaks.

My hearing might be sensitive and picky but the E3 all together and E5 bass boost mode are both a no-go on the Ultimate Ears. I can hear the clarity loss and refuse to use it. I would expect the Phonak to yield similar results. The bass quality loss is not worth the bass quantity gain to me. I do find I can use the stock FiiO interconnects which sound a bit warmer/darker instead of better ones to give a slightly warmer sound that is enjoyable and less degrading. I also have a couple of the better EQ equipped players and a Sony that is warmer to begin with.

LOL can't wait til your Phonaks arrive and you...try....to listen without the filters. So far I'm the only one that likes this way of listening.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #1,894 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SO

MUCH

DISTORTION

Seriously, it sucks: Get a Sony.

Do you own both? I do. And the Touch 2G HP out is superior to the Sony A818, enhancements or not. And the bass boost on the Touch doesn't alway distort. If you own both and your Touch bass boost distorts on every track, something is wrong with your Touch. Wait, you don't even own the PFEs, right? So how would you know. We're talking about the the PFEs and the Touch, so if you have both, then it is good to hear your POV. If not, you post was really not based on any real-world experience.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,895 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you own both? I do. And the Touch 2G HP out is superior to the Sony A818, enhancements or not. And the bass boost on the Touch doesn't alway distort. If you own both and your Touch bass boost distorts on every track, something is wrong with your Touch. Wait, you don't even own the PFEs, right? So how would you know. We're talking about the the PFEs and the Touch, so if you have both, then it is good to hear your POV. If not, you post was really not based on any real-world experience.

Bold=Agree, Italic=Disagree.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,896 of 2,281
You disagree about the Sony HP out and the Touch 2G? Well, I guess our ears hear them differently. I much rather would listen to the Touch, but I didn't qualify my statement. I meant, to me, the Touch HP out sounds better. Also, the bass boost on mine, when using the PFEs, doesn't always distort. Did you own the Touch and get rid of it?

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #1,897 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bold=Agree, Italic=Disagree.

The entire quote is in italics...Underlining, or another font color, might work better.

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #1,898 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The entire quote is in italics...Underlining, or another font color, might work better.

Thought so, but I can see bold.

In this case, he meant ... bold italic = agree, italic = disagree

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #1,899 of 2,281
Quote:

My Phonaks' are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, unless the weather has changed that.

Good of you to pop in and join us! We are fast approaching a full house here...
smile.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #1,900 of 2,281
Quote:

You disagree about the Sony HP out and the Touch 2G? Well, I guess our ears hear them differently. I much rather would listen to the Touch, but I didn't qualify my statement. I meant, to me, the Touch HP out sounds better. Also, the bass boost on mine, when using the PFEs, doesn't always distort. Did you own the Touch and get rid of it?

The bass boost on the iPhone acts similar to the Touch. It doesn't distort all the time but only on some recordings and I haven't figured out what causes it (poor compression, poor encoding, etc.). When it's good, it sounds close enough to the E5 that I would think about skipping the amp, but when it's bad I can hardly listen to it. I haven't tried the double bass boost yet but I think that it would be too much for me!

Mar 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #1,901 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass boost on the iPhone acts similar to the Touch. It doesn't distort all the time but only on some recordings and I haven't figured out what causes it (poor compression, poor encoding, etc.). When it's good, it sounds close enough to the E5 that I would think about skipping the amp, but when it's bad I can hardly listen to it. I haven't tried the double bass boost yet but I think that it would be too much for me!

Agree, when it works, it's not bad at all. Not sure why some tracks distort, I think it must be the way the bass is mastered or something. And I only add the double boost now and again, and when it works, which is spotty at best, the lush PFE bass sounds sooo good.

Do you have an LOD cable for the iPhone, for sitting around listening (wasn't sure)? If so, even with the E5, it is a major SQ boost too when using the PFEs with gray filters. Sounds fantastic.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #1,902 of 2,281
Quote:

Do you have an LOD cable for the iPhone, for sitting around listening (wasn't sure)? If so, even with the E5, it is a major SQ boost too when using the PFEs with gray filters. Sounds fantastic.

Not yet, but I've tried it using the LO from the dock and I could hear the difference, although I think that the HP out is pretty good. I'll probably invest in a good LOD cable before long as the dock is a pain to use.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #1,903 of 2,281
I recommended my dad get the Sony A728, and when he got it, I spent hours listening to it with my SE530. I never once heard the Sony distort. What it does is when you push the bass too hard, it kind of dips the upper frequencies whenever the bass hits, giving the "illusion" of more bass. This obviously isn't the same as more bass, but at least it doesn't distort.

I just shuffled through some random songs on my iPhone 3G with the EQ set to Bass Booster, and 13 out of the 15 songs that otherwise don't distort distorted with the EQ on.

EDIT: Also, about the whole not having real-world experience thing because I don't have the PFEs, I understand that. But honestly, if I can hear distortion with my SE530s and the PFEs are more revealing than they are, what would that lead you to believe the results would be if I tried the iPhone 3G + Phonaks combo?
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,905 of 2,281
Why do the Ipod distort when the equalizer is on?
Well, the problem comes from the fact the some tracks are recorded "on the edge" of the gain clipping. The edge is (for instance) -0,1 db. Some songs are recorded so that peak never exceeds for instance -6,0 db. In this case, when you activate the equalizer on your ipod, the bass is pushed (for instance 5 db), there is still some room for not to clip (distort). But if the track was recorded close to the edge (like -1,0 db), when you activate your equalizer, that boosts some frequencies with, say 5 db, then the resulting level exceeds the edge, that is -0,1, and you can hear distortion.
Sorry for what I'll say
tongue.gif
, but on good players, that is, players with a good equalizer as Sony, Cowon, Iriver, or even Creative, even in the "worst" case of a song recorded close to the edge, the player will automatically reduce the gain before equalizing, so that there will be no clipping.

There is a solution, however. There is a program called "mp3 gain" (freeware), with which you can reduce the gain of your songs, and it works in batch process. For instance, you can select a whole folder, and choose to reduce the gain by 5db, so that the equalizer will not distort.
You may want to try several values, as when you select a too high value, you lose the same amount of volume on your player. But that shouldn't be a problem as ipod have no volume limit in the US.
Here we go
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back