Phonak Audeo?
Mar 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #1,876 of 2,281
I find the 'Phonaks aren't good for rock comments weird'....I think there excellent for all type of of gernes....Maybe I'm the only person that feels this way. Bass wise you don't have a mid-bass hump with these phone that might be the reason why hip hop is not so entertaining...Allthough it works perfect for me hip hop/rock wise, I agree that classical, and acoustic is more....clearer but all other gernres sound great.

Off topic I know I just....thought the comments were off in my opinion, maybe someone can change my opinion...

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #1,877 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the 'Phonaks aren't that good for rock weird'....I think there excellent for all type of of gernes....Maybe I'm the only person that feels this way. Bass wise you don't have a mid-bass hump with these phone that might be the reason why hip hop is not so entertaining...Allthough it works perfect for me hip hop/rock wise, I agree that classical, and acoustic is more....clearer but all other gernres sound great.

Off topic I know I just....thought the comments were off in my opinion, maybe someone can change my opinion...

Yeah, I listen to Alternative, Rock and Progressive mainly and I find no complaint with their sound once I manage to achieve a good seal.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,878 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhangam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I listen to Alternative, Rock and Progressive mainly and I find no complaint with their sound once I manage to achieve a good seal.

Agreed...

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #1,879 of 2,281
Quote:

I find the 'Phonaks aren't that good for rock weird'....I think there excellent for all type of of gernes....Maybe I'm the only person that feels this way. Bass wise you don't have a mid-bass hump with these phone that might be the reason why hip hop is not so entertaining...Allthough it works perfect for me hip hop/rock wise, I agree that classical, and acoustic is more....clearer but all other gernres sound great.

I agree. I think they're very accurate, so if your music has a peak... the PFE's have a peak. If your music has a low point, so do your PFE's.

I enjoy their IMO accurate reproduction in all genres.

nG

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,880 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngsm13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. I think they're very accurate, so if your music has a peak... the PFE's have a peak. If your music has a low point, so do your PFE's.

I enjoy their IMO accurate reproduction in all genres.

nG

Agreed, it sounds to me like the Phonaks just tell you how good or bad your source is. As well as your music, their extremely honest, they never lied to me at least. They no I would spank them, that's a no-no.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #1,881 of 2,281
Quote:

I agree but now that I've paired them with the E5, it's hard for me to go back to listening to rock without the E5 in line with the bass boost. If I'm listening to acoustic or jazz I'll flip the bass boost off but otherwise it makes them less forgiving on some of the lower quality recordings and really shine on the better ones!

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #1,882 of 2,281
I'm burning in an E5 (since Sat) with some RE2 (since Thurs), but I actually haven't listened to the E5 but 5 min once on Sat and once on Sunday. It's at 48 hours and I'll try it out again today but I plan to spend some time with it at 100 hours and 200 hours.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,883 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree but now that I've paired them with the E5, it's hard for me to go back to listening to rock without the E5 in line with the bass boost. If I'm listening to acoustic or jazz I'll flip the bass boost off but otherwise it makes them less forgiving on some of the lower quality recordings and really shine on the better ones!

I Edited my post you might want to look at that anyhow, I have a question which filters are you using?

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #1,885 of 2,281
Not if you're gentle (which you should be with any IEM, anyway).

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #1,886 of 2,281
Quote:

I Edited my post you might want to look at that anyhow, I have a question which filters are you using?

I am using the gray filters with either the silicon tips or the olives, depending on my isolation needs. I have tried the black filters many times and although I really like the bass they provide, to me they hammer the mids/highs and sound stage. With the E5 I feel I get an increase in bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum. It's like have a gray/black filter combination!

If the stupid iPhone EQ didn't suck so much I could probably just use its bass boost instead, but it introduces entirely too much distortion.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #1,887 of 2,281
Sometimes, I use both the bass boost on my iBasso T4 and the Touch bass booster EQ (via LOD, not HP out), and while you do get some distortion on certain tracks (hip-hop, for example), on others it really gives the PFE bass a presence that is pretty amazing. If there is any distortion, I just turn off the EQ (not the amp bass boost). As noted, I am using the T4, but I did it with the E5 too. Try it now and then, and see what you think.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,888 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the stupid iPhone EQ didn't suck so much I could probably just use its bass boost instead, but it introduces entirely too much distortion.

SO

MUCH

DISTORTION

Seriously, it sucks: Get a Sony.

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #1,890 of 2,281
My Phonaks' are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, unless the weather has changed that. I plan to use the grays or even no filters and my SF 5 silicone tips. The same tips that darken and veil the 5's might just do the trick on the Phonaks.

My hearing might be sensitive and picky but the E3 all together and E5 bass boost mode are both a no-go on the Ultimate Ears. I can hear the clarity loss and refuse to use it. I would expect the Phonak to yield similar results. The bass quality loss is not worth the bass quantity gain to me. I do find I can use the stock FiiO interconnects which sound a bit warmer/darker instead of better ones to give a slightly warmer sound that is enjoyable and less degrading. I also have a couple of the better EQ equipped players and a Sony that is warmer to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back