Phonak Audeo?
Feb 5, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #841 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find them spiking up as high. It's almost as if there's some sort of magical limiter dropping the dB down just enough to keep them from hitting too hard. With the PFE, the spikes seem to go higher at times (perhaps because the overall sound is so crystal clear and unshrouded by midbass).

Magical volume limiter?! That's news to me. One of the few reasons why I still like the X10 is that changes in amplitude are much more noticeable with them than other phones including the PFE's which can make classical music a real joy to listen to. The flipside is that on poorly mastered vocal tracks where the singer raises their voice, 'sh' and 'ch' sounds are pretty much uncapped in the hurt they will deliver. They will go as high as they were intended to go.
frown.gif

In addition to this 'sh' sounds are smoothed over on pfe's (can;t detect sibilance even with silicon tips). 'Ch' sounds are not and that is where most of the sibilance I hear occurs. On the other hand, the X10 doesn't smooth over any of those sounds so I would get more moments of earache. On top of this, the graininess like you already mentioned, noticeable moreso at higher volumes, simply just adds insult for sibilance sufferers!

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #842 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Magical volume limiter?! That's news to me. One of the few reasons why I still like the X10 is that changes in amplitude are much more noticeable with them than other phones including the PFE's which can make classical music a real joy to listen to. The flipside is that on poorly mastered vocal tracks where the singer raises their voice, 'sh' and 'ch' sounds are pretty much uncapped in the hurt they will deliver. They will go as high as they were intended to go.
frown.gif

In addition to this 'sh' sounds are smoothed over on pfe's (can;t detect sibilance even with silicon tips). 'Ch' sounds are not and that is where most of the sibilance I hear occurs. On the other hand, the X10 doesn't smooth over any of those sounds so I would get more moments of earache. On top of this, the graininess like you already mentioned, noticeable moreso at higher volumes, simply just adds insult for sibilance sufferers!

I wasn't so serious about the limiter bit...I don't actually think there's any live volume compression going on (and if there was, I'd surely hate it), but the essence of my statements stands: With my X10, sibilants sound more distorted, but less sharp, than with my PFE. Again, I feel I must qualify that statement by saying I don't find the PFE to be that sharp overall. But the occasional moments of excessive sibilance do occur, even with "sh" sounds, for me.

Kinda makes me wish we could just go out and buy sets of universal ears...no more worrying about individual perceptions.
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #843 of 2,281
Anyone get these with the mic? How is it? I wanted to use mine with my phone, so I got the mic version. Hope it doesn't jack the sound up or anything.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #844 of 2,281
just got my pfe's. so far im really digging them and im happy with their sound/comfort. however, am i the only one having trouble removing the filters? ive read the instructions carefully and im using the threaded end of the tool but it doesnt seem to be catching the filter. and im afraid if i push any harder i will damage the phones or filters. any experience this also?

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #845 of 2,281
My PFE's arrived today from the german website originally mentioned as a way to get these in the UK: Hören mit Fiebing - Phonak Audéo Ohrhörer PFE 111

Just off to bed to try them with my iPhone, had a brief try earlier, left the gray filters in and am using the medium silicones.

Immediate reaction was just how comfortable they were to wear - the term "perfect fit" is so true with this product.

I'm no audiophile and I've initially switched back+forth between my Denon's and the PFE's but I'm not practiced enough yet to notice the subtle differences - the Denon's were pretty good!

Going to try the black filter as well...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #846 of 2,281
Thanks for the info on the adapter. I received mine today (Phonak with the mic). I use it with the iphone 3G and it is really very good. Very comfortable, good isolation. Good sound quality (I have not had a chance yet to compare it with my previous phones but will try later) but it is very clear and I much prefer them to my SE210's (which I understand are in nowhere the same league). The button is very good. Much clearer to press than the standard apple phones or the shure mic adapter. I used the mic earlier and was told it sounded very clear but I will have to compare it over the next few days with the shure mic adapter to see which is better sound quality.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #847 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kinda makes me wish we could just go out and buy sets of universal ears...no more worrying about individual perceptions.
tongue.gif

Indeedy, if not only to keep the wallet from going on what seems to be a perpetual diet! You must have spent a packet on all the iems you've purchased thus far.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #848 of 2,281
A quick question (which I asked before but wasn't answered by anyone). So quite a few people are using the olive tips with PFEs. How comfortable are the olive tips, compared to the Comply tips and the silicon tips that came with PFEs? thanks

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #849 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have spent a packet on all the iems you've purchased thus far.
biggrin.gif

Er-- no comment.
redface.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #850 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt
Should be really nice... they sound fine on my WA6 (but as I said before, they don't sound bad with anything, they are among the least picky IEMs I know of).

Yes! They are just that good...sounding great from 1g touch atm. I still need to give my T4 some serious time with PFE from i7(my mini rig). I like the subtle bass boost, should be nice with Grey filters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my WA3, but my understanding, per the comments on this site and the disclaimer on Woo's website, is that the WA3 (and OTL tube amps in general) are not well matched with low impedance phones.

Am I under a misimpression in this regard? I know the WA6 is supposed to do justice to low impedance, high current cans, and to a lesser extent the WA3+ has been modified to perform better than the WA3 with a low impedance load. But at 32 ohms, the pfe + WA3 seems an unlikely combo, given that this amp is generally thought to excel with Beyers (250Ω/600Ω) and full sized Senns (300Ω). I will be curious indeed to read up on the results of your undertaking.

You are correct, the WA3 is not supposed to be a very good match for low impedance. Despite this fact, I've had good results pairing my 325i with WA3...I'm not sure what "bad" things I should be hearing. Because I prefer my ER4P as "S" using the ety 75 Ohm cable, there should be a pretty good match there at 100 Ohms...sounds great! I've also used the 75 Ohms with 325i. I actually haven't fired up the tubes in quite a while...I've been listening to my 120 Classic>Pico>PFE for 3 weeks now. I still need to try my Central Station with the PFE where I also have the Aphex 204 in the loop- Big Bottom baby!

I will be plugging my PFE into the WA3 shortly...I shall report back.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #851 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! They are just that good...sounding great from 1g touch atm. I still need to give my T4 some serious time with PFE from i7(my mini rig). I like the subtle bass boost, should be nice with Grey filters.

You are correct, the WA3 is not supposed to be a very good match for low impedance. Despite this fact, I've had good results pairing my 325i with WA3...I'm not sure what "bad" things I should be hearing. Because I prefer my ER4P as "S" using the ety 75 Ohm cable, there should be a pretty good match there at 100 Ohms...sounds great! I've also used the 75 Ohms with 325i. I actually haven't fired up the tubes in quite a while...I've been listening to my 120 Classic>Pico>PFE for 3 weeks now. I still need to try my Central Station with the PFE where I also have the Aphex 204 in the loop- Big Bottom baby!

I will be plugging my PFE into the WA3 shortly...I shall report back.
smily_headphones1.gif

why an i thinking about BMW's?
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #852 of 2,281
Well, it didn't take very long to declare that my PFE sounds best straight from Pico.

I played my SACD version(CD layer of course) of Nickel Creek on my laptop in fb2k into Pico as DAC. My chain of components is long and I know this degrades the quality if only slightly. It goes Pico>Corda Cross>Aphex 204>Central Station>WA3. I did not use the crosfeed or 204 processing. The WA3 sounded very good, better than CS at medium volume but the CS handled higher volume better...I think this is where the difficulty with low impedance shows with WA3, it sounded strained but this was at fairly high volume.My Grado's fair better with WA3.

Plugging straight into the Pico, using as DAC, the sound stage blossomed and sounded flat out better all around.

The Pico as USB DAC sounds extremely good. Using it as just amp from iPod is not that far behind. What a great combo!

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #853 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOUNDinterpreter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my pfe's. so far im really digging them and im happy with their sound/comfort. however, am i the only one having trouble removing the filters? ive read the instructions carefully and im using the threaded end of the tool but it doesnt seem to be catching the filter. and im afraid if i push any harder i will damage the phones or filters. any experience this also?

I only use the threaded (silver) side of the tool, and I turn it enough to connect it to the end (when removing from both the case and the PFE). I guide it into the sound tube, place it there, and then use my finger (very gingerly) to hold the edge in place while I reverse the screw on motion. Sometimes the filter doesn't stick, but you can flatten it into the sound tube with your finger so it is flush. Forget the blue end of the tool, doesn't work for me at all. Same procedure removing filter and storing. I let it fall into the little gray case and just gently guide it into place. Best I can give. They are tricky and very delicate. But the threaded (silver) side will connect in a half turn or so. Just make sure it is straight on.

Good luck. And once you like a filter, don't mess with it (take if from a master messer).

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #854 of 2,281
My first full day with the pfe's was very good. The Clip was the best dap for the pfe's with no eq and black filters. I was fairly impressed by the comfort and clarity. The mids are really good and the bass is very tight almost punchy. The high's are very clear with even with the black filters. One draw back i have found is the their not very loud at all. So all in all very worth while purchase. They sound great but they wont replace our beloved high end phones.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #855 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by praguewatermelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question (which I asked before but wasn't answered by anyone). So quite a few people are using the olive tips with PFEs. How comfortable are the olive tips, compared to the Comply tips and the silicon tips that came with PFEs? thanks

I use small olives and they create a little more pressure than the Complys (the medium silicone tips to me create no pressure). Some use medium or even large olives, depending on comfort level and ear canal sized of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back