Phonak Audeo?
Jan 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #302 of 2,281
So I've been reading this thread a lot, since I just got my ER4P but I do want a little more kick in the lower end of the spectrum.

Seems like the Phonaks will works just fine with my Sony player, but I'm just concerned whether it will destroy my battery life by a lot without an amp due to the high impendance.

I also just bought a new set of Westone ES cable for $20 hoping to buy some Ultimate Ears in the new future, but this thread popped up!
frown.gif

So would these be right for me? I don't really want to wear them around the ear, but it seems like this design enforces that. But it seems like the clarity and detail is on par with the ER4P but with a warmer less analytical signature? and with more bass especially with the black filter?

Sorry for all the questions, I did read through all the pages, haha. Thanks everybaaady.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #303 of 2,281
Thanks for the replys, how does the NuForce Icon Mobile compare with the iBasso T4? Would the Icon Mobile be a good paring with the Phonaks?

I want a portable DAC for use with my various computers.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #304 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they feel like I'm wearing "nothin at all" (to quote an old jeans ad). No bumping my ears anywhere, etc. But then again, I have worn them all of 20 minutes. I had work to finish and had to listen for the phone. I will do a much deeper listen maybe tonight, or when I get some time soon.

And you nailed it, no matter what the price range is really true. I think these phones could be a "killer app" type of phone, though I am sure most folks will call the FOTM. I don't think so, but hey, what do I care? I got them for $94. I asked the seller how she could sell them so cheaply (new, in the box), and she told me her mom works for Phonak, and gave them to her. So she priced them "to move" on Amazon. I got very lucky. My guess is that after more listening, I will likely sell off the 716s. I will not sell the X10s, because my wife can use them with the really small gels.

Glad to hear this, I seem to have misplaced my 716's... I'm sure they are around hear somewhere... but I bought thse to replace them. Can't wait to hear them...

nG

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #305 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replys, how does the NuForce Icon Mobile compare with the iBasso T4? Would the Icon Mobile be a good paring with the Phonaks?

I want a portable DAC for use with my various computers.

T4 does not have a USB DAC.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #306 of 2,281
I am contemplating picking up a pair of these phones...question though...

I have a BSG cMoy. Will it work well with these phones? I dont understand how headphone impedance and gain of amps work....

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #307 of 2,281
I've been listening to the Phonak Audeo PFE for iPhone since 2PM today, and I do like the sound so far. I will spend much of the weekend listening to them, and starting my thoughts for a possible review. I like them with the grey and the black filters, which do change the sound as promised.

With the black filters they remind me a lot of my previous Klipsch Image X10 that I sold after comparing them to the Nuforce IEM and the Westone 3. I sold the X10 but not because I didn't like them but because they were the only ones I could part with and get a fair amount of money to pay for my new IEM. The X10 spanned the gap between the NE-7M and Westone 3 but didn't make me want to put aside the Westone 3, and didn't have a mic for the iPhone like the NE-7M. I am not prepared to comment on the Phonak vs NE-7M yet, but so far they are surprisingly close, as were the NE-7M and X10.

On another front, my 11 year old son is an audiophile and owns Alessandro MS-1 with Millett Starving Student amp, and Stax SR-Lambda with SRD-6SB and SRD-X. Today I had him listen to 8 different universal fit IEM (see below) with my iPhone 3G and his favorite lossless files - Jack Johnson. Here is his ranking that WAS NOT influenced by me in any way. He used whatever silicone or foam tips worked best for his ears.

There was a 3-way tie in 2nd, and a 3-way tied in 4th where he couldn't decide which were better.

1. Westone 3 (stock grey silicone tips)

2. NE-7M (black E2c silicne tips)
2. NE-8 (stock bi-flange)
2. Phonak Audeo (stock silicone tips)

3. C700 (Complys T400 tips)

4. Z.buds (Complys T400 tips)
4. IM716 33 ohm (grey Shure SE530 silicone)
4. Marshmallows (stock blue foam tips)

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture1853-iem-listen-8-universal-fit-iem.jpg

I told him he could KEEP ANY ONE PAIR OF IEM except the Westone 3, NE-7M and Phonak. He picked the NE-8 with the stock bi-flange tips, and joyfully ran off to his room with them.

His ranking is very similar to my provisional ranking, except that the IM716 should be #4 and the other two in #4 should be moved down to #5. Then, the NE-8 probably would be moved to just below the NE-7M and the Phonak, due to slightly less bass with a more tricky job making them fit right with a good seal. So, we'll see where the Phonak stand up over time, but out of the box I would take them over any of my son's 3rd place or lower, as well as the Super.fi 5 Pro, SE310 or E4c, or ER6i, etc. If the past 6 hours is any indication I think they will end up just above the NE-7M like the X10 and slightly below the Westone 3 (i.e. tied with X10). It just seems my particular pair of NE-7M with my particular ears are surprisingly good for such a low cost IEM - they are not embarrassed at all by the Phonak so far.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #309 of 2,281
Interesting.

Something turns me off about the NuForce IEMs though (not price-related in any way) that I just can't quite put my finger on. It could be because NE-7M has a mic that would do nothing but annoy me with its uselessness and NE-8 may not have enough bass for me, but I'm not completely sure that's it.

Phonaks for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #310 of 2,281
Well, I returned from some "field testing" today on a noisy train, and the Phonaks, without an amp, flunked that test. I didn't bring an amp, and after realizing they were not loud enough to provide isolation (I had the stock Complys on them, with both the Clip and the Zune80), I switched to the Westones and all was well. That is not to say I am no longer a fan. But I realized they need an amp in a noisy environment, at least to me. Also, I don't find the E5 degrades the sound at all, nor does the Icon Mobile. Both play well with the Phonaks. Haven't tried the E3, since I no longer use the ones I have after the arrival of the NuForce and the E5. Can't wait to give them a listen through the replacement MiniboxE+ that is due to arrive some day...soon I hope.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #311 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.

Something turns me off about the NuForce IEMs though (not price-related in any way) that I just can't quite put my finger on. It could be because NE-7M has a mic that would do nothing but annoy me with its uselessness and NE-8 may not have enough bass for me, but I'm not completely sure that's it.

Phonaks for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

The NE-7M mic/switch is smaller than the one on the Phonaks. It really isn't a bother at all.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #312 of 2,281
I'd definitely be getting the mic-less Phonaks. I hate having anything in the middle of the cable.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #313 of 2,281
Hey HeadphonAddict good to see you are testing these too. Could you check them out with the Caffeine if you have yours handy? I really didn't plan on getting another amp so it would be nice if they worked decently together. Although if something cheap and smaller like an e5 would work I wouldnt mind as much. Just on a really low budget thats all
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks muchly!

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #314 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey HeadphonAddict good to see you are testing these too. Could you check them out with the Caffeine if you have yours handy? I really didn't plan on getting another amp so it would be nice if they worked decently together. Although if something cheap and smaller like an e5 would work I wouldnt mind as much. Just on a really low budget thats all
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks muchly!

The Caffeine and Lyrix were so close to the Headsix in sound, that when I got PM's asking me to sell to them, I did. But, so far they sound good out of the iPhone, 3MOVE, Nuforce Icon Mobile and Pico. (EDIT - and Headsix, Doh!]

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #315 of 2,281
That makes me a little sad since you were a big part of my choice to get one. But I'm guessing from what you just said that they will not sound horrible together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back