Phonak Audeo PFE 112 Repair
Jun 17, 2019 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zeroibis

100+ Head-Fier
My Phonak Audeo PFE 112 is not getting sound on one side so I need to send it in for repair. Any recommendations on where I should be sending it?

Jun 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 13
No idea, all I know is that I do not get sound out of one side, there is no physical damage to the cable visible anywhere.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 13
filters? Like the filters in the PFE that you can change out!?

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Another thing I am looking at is given the cost of shipping and repair perhaps I am better served just opting for a new set of IEMs like the FiiO FA1?

I have been happy with the great vocal clarity of the PFE over the years and I believe the FiiO FA1 would match that although with a bit softer bass.

Anyone with a PFE tried out the FiiO FA1?

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Another thing I am looking at is given the cost of shipping and repair perhaps I am better served just opting for a new set of IEMs like the FiiO FA1?

I have been happy with the great vocal clarity of the PFE over the years and I believe the FiiO FA1 would match that although with a bit softer bass.

Anyone with a PFE tried out the FiiO FA1?
What are they worth and how much you want to spend

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 13
The PFE was like $130 10 years ago. I figure if I send it in for repair I am looking at least 50-70$ to get it fixed when all is said and done so might as well look at $100 IEM options.

I honestly do not use them that much anymore (I use my DT 990s at home), just when I am traveling I use them. Given that when I do use my IEMs I am using them on a 13 hour flight I do look for something a bit better than just some random ones. I heard the FA1 had some good clarity and separation even for the small sound stage of an IEM and that sounds like a good match for what I am after.

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 13
Mine had the same problem, then I simply changed the filters and it sang again :D

Oh, I will try that and see what it does then!

Now to figure out where I put the filters...

Jun 17, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 13
If there is no sound at all its likely the cable, I think anyone know about simple electronic repairing will able to fix it. Note if you want to change the cable there is resistor about 27 ohm inside the splitter.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 13
No idea, all I know is that I do not get sound out of one side, there is no physical damage to the cable visible anywhere.
To check you just wiggle the cable in these areas - if the cable is damaged inside it will cut in and out as the cut ends touch.

If the damage is at the connector anyone can cut it off and solder on a new one, I'm not active anymore but back in the day a post in the DIY section would usually find a friendly member nearby. It's a 5 minute job and a nice connector can be had for the price of a beer. If you're in the UK I'd do it...

If there is damage at the split or earpiece you'd need someone comfortable opening the casing and soldering to the drivers to replace the cable. That's going to be tougher to find someone, and more expensive.

Now to figure out where I put the filters...
They work without filters too - you may not like the sound but at least you'll hear something to know there's life :)

Jun 18, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Appears the actual issue is that the Left side is really quiet. If I change the balance to -0.63 (81.5/18.5 (L/R)) it balances it.

There is no distortion and nothing changes moving the cables around. I have not yet found the old filters to swap out but will be looking today when home from work.

Thinking back I wonder if they got messed up from the pops that sometimes occur in flight when your headphones are plugged into the entertainment system when announcements come on. (I know your thinking how could it drive enough power to damage a driver behind a 32ohm resistor but I plug it into a LD MK1 which would amplify the line quite a lot...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back