Phonak Audeo or Panasonic HJE900?
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
There's a $100 difference in price. Does the difference in performance justify this? Either way, could someone explain to me what the difference in performance is in the first place? I'm starting to really get into acoustic music. My source is (or will be once it gets here) a Sony S639F.

Music examples:

YouTube - Andrew Gorny - Polygons
YouTube - Matthew Santos - Shadows in a Shoebox - www.candyrat.com
YouTube - Jack Johnson - Sitting, Waiting, Wishing: Album Version (Edited), Closed Captioned
YouTube - Donavon Frankenreiter - Lovely Day
YouTube - Muse Bliss
YouTube - Audioslave - Like A Stone
YouTube - Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire
YouTube - Franz Ferdinand - Take me out

Now that I've officially decided NOT to blow a mixture of my money and my parents' money on an electric guitar, I was thinking a new set of portables would be nice.

I like a combination of transparent and fun, with plenty of detail, good soundstage, and plenty of detail. I'd also love have something that won't make me hate listening to poorly recorded music, but you can't win in everything I suppose. I guess I could just use lower-end portables for the "crappy" music.

Also, I hate the boring, analytical Ety sound. By combination of transparent and fun, I mean I want to hear the music, not my headphones, but I also want to enjoy the experience a lot. What is music if it doesn't reach your soul? Music is an art, and without the fun factor it just loses its meaning.

I have no amp, by the way.
frown.gif

Please help. Christmas is just around the bend!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Bump. Please help. I'll post a cake picture for the most helpful post (since there is no rep system).

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 7
I've read the Phonak retains mostly an Etymotic sound signature, meaning it will pick up on your poorly recorded material. It's also got an SA6-like tunable system to add a little more bass (Note: I'm just going off memory from anythingbutipod's review, which would undoubtedly help you a lot, so go ahead and find it).

Added: The one song which it would be good at from your list would be Jack Johnson.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 7
I've already read the review.

It's okay if it's a little revealing, I just want to be able to have a lot of fun listening to my music. I don't listen to analyze.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I wouldn't say limited, but I'm strongly considering one of those two.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay, I've been brutally researching for a couple days, and I still can't decide. I need input from people that have heard them. At least just describe value for money/sound signature/comparison to competition in price range.

Please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back