Phoenix Head-Fi Meet 3-10-12: Pictures!
Mar 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Coolzo

500+ Head-Fier
Mar 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Wow, Allen. That is a monster looking cable you have there on your LCD2. What cable is that?

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Wish you could have heard the full potential of the LCD-2 Funch, but I think the CLAS/SR-71b combo was enough spread that ortho magic haha! But I need more time with that HD800 to decide if I want it or not, it damn sure was comfy though.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 13
At our meet last year, one of the members brought a Leben 300 amp. We tried his LCD2's out of the 'phone jack (which runs through resistors to cut power),
and they sounded good. Then, he borrowed another member's speaker-out-to-balanced (4-pin) adapter cable, and connected it to the Leben's speaker outputs.
We had to be very careful with the volume setting, but the sound difference was very noticeable, in favor of the speaker out's.  

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 13
For sure, your LCDs sounded darn good out of that rig even still. Especially considering that it was "portable". And if they still sound decent out of that laptop of yours? Psh, I might as well just save up for the LCDs and forget all the cans in between... ('cept for the Grados, I desperately need a good can for rock/metal).

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 13
Skip the grados my friend. Nothing beats a well powered pair of LCD-2 for rock
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 13
I remember that Allen. The LCD2 from the speaker tabs of the Leben was significantly better.

Anything new with anyone, new gear or impressions?

Quote:
At our meet last year, one of the members brought a Leben 300 amp. We tried his LCD2's out of the 'phone jack (which runs through resistors to cut power),
and they sounded good. Then, he borrowed another member's speaker-out-to-balanced (4-pin) adapter cable, and connected it to the Leben's speaker outputs.
We had to be very careful with the volume setting, but the sound difference was very noticeable, in favor of the speaker out's.  

May 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Anything new with anyone, new gear or impressions?

Well, I got the SR225i. I loved them! Rock and metal had their energy back! But then I vented 10 holes on each earcup... this caused the plastic casing to become quite a problem. Would had the casings been aluminum or wood, it probably would sound great... Anyway. I don't feel custom cups would be a convenient thing at this point, so I'm trying to trade them for some 325/i/s/HD600 (or I might try the PRO2500s this guy offered me) along with my HFI-580s (which havent been getting all that much use). 

Speaking of which, anyone have impressions of the Ultrasone Pro2500?

May 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 13
That's tough that you liked it so much, but that the vented holes messed it up for you. Unfortunately, the only Ultrasone headphones I have heard have been Jibbie's (Alex) Ultrasone Pro 900, if I remember the model correctly. They were good headphones but had incredibly exaggerated bass. I don't remember them have the energy or snap that Grado's are known for though. It's been over a year since I heard them though so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Well, I got the SR225i. I loved them! Rock and metal had their energy back! But then I vented 10 holes on each earcup... this caused the plastic casing to become quite a problem. Would had the casings been aluminum or wood, it probably would sound great... Anyway. I don't feel custom cups would be a convenient thing at this point, so I'm trying to trade them for some 325/i/s/HD600 (or I might try the PRO2500s this guy offered me) along with my HFI-580s (which havent been getting all that much use). 

Speaking of which, anyone have impressions of the Ultrasone Pro2500?

May 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
That's tough that you liked it so much, but that the vented holes messed it up for you. Unfortunately, the only Ultrasone headphones I have heard have been Jibbie's (Alex) Ultrasone Pro 900, if I remember the model correctly. They were good headphones but had incredibly exaggerated bass. I don't remember them have the energy or snap that Grado's are known for though. It's been over a year since I heard them though so take my comments with a grain of salt.

The owner of the 2500s claimed that they were fairly neutral, with a slight bias towards bass frequencies. I decided to decline the offer though, something about those dang Grados... well, it was mainly Destroysall's fault; he did a review of them on his tumblr, and I couldn't resist the picture of my SR225i on his banana stand XD I'm probably going to purchase some more proper damping materials and give them a second chance.

In the mean time, if anyone wants to trade a stock SR325i for my SR225i+HFI-580, I will welcome the offer! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back