Phish
Oct 20, 2004 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
OK, where can I get live concerts for free? I can't find them online anywhere. Not even via P2P.

I'm a new Phish fan, so I have no real starting point.

Should I jsut get all the albums, or is there a clear place to start?

Thanks,
Karl

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Alright, I'll try and be a little more helpful than the above response. An excellent place to start with is the officially released live recording A Live One. Some of the Live Phish series are very good, too.

Some of the best live shows ever recorded, however, are circulating in the etree trading community. Years 1993-1995 are particularly good, IMO. Visit the Phish List , browse through the shows listed there, and try contacting some of the folks with a BnP request. Here's more info on how to get started with BnPs.

I'd be happy to help you with a BnP, too. I have some great shows.

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
Alright, I'll try and be a little more helpful than the above response. An excellent place to start with is the officially released live recording A Live One. Some of the Live Phish series are very good, too.

Some of the best live shows ever recorded, however, are circulating in the etree trading community. Years 1993-1995 are particularly good, IMO. Visit the Phish List , browse through the shows listed there, and try contacting some of the folks with a BnP request. Here's more info on how to get started with BnPs.

I'd be happy to help you with a BnP, too. I have some great shows.

Thanks for both responses
wink.gif

I'm actually kinda surprised that the Phish community hasn't gone to lossless compression and P2P networks. It's hte perfect solution. Imagine EVERY phish head sharing say 10 gig.

Anyways, I'll be looking this weekend for some tunes. Thanks for the responses.

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Actually, while there are no P2P networks exclusively devoted to Phish trading, if you get on any of the etree mailing lists, people frequently give you access to their personal servers for bittorrent downloads. And the stuff on etree is all lossless, either FLAC or SHN. The Phish trading community values preserving the integrity of the original recordings of the show without degradation by making mp3s, a risk that's more present in the usual P2P networks where there is less respect for "rules" of any kind.

Oct 25, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 7
I've spent hte whole weekend trying to find downloads, etc. This isn't very straighforward to do. It seems like the technologies used for "legal" file trading is simply not current. It also looks like no one is digitizing the analog tapes of old. I simply don't get it. I can tell there is deep respect in regards to maintaining fidelity in the Phish community, but I can't understand why audiophiles arn't converting things to digital. I mean that in that people with "high end" gear should be able to convert tapes to VERY high quality digital versions that are lossless. Am I missing something here?

P2P could be utilized especially considering thje fact that"official" ed2k links could be used to maintain real versions at fan websites.. ed2k links are links in web pages that add downlaods insie a P2P program. I think the link has an extension associated with various P2P programs. I wish I could post one here as I'm sure it would work. It's really the ideal technology for phish-heads.

Anyw2ays, my adventure into phish will continue next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back