Philly/South Jersey meet 2/5/05
Feb 5, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

taylor

1000+ Head-Fier
This meet went well.

Pictures:

Lou tests out the illegitimate child of Sennheiser and Grado, the HDSR-59060
This is what happens when you put HD-590 pads on the SR-60.
HPIM0302.jpg

Elliot and Diana compare CD3000 to Omega II.
CD3K was connected to Sudgen amp
Omega II was connected to KGSS
Both were connected to Meridian G08
HPIM0303.jpg

Brian moves the camera while trying to take a picture of Bill's DAC, and I doubt anyone wants to look at Bills knee.
*no picture*

I got my Fisher 500B out. It was running very well. I have decided to get the cap replacement kit for it when funds permit.
HPIM0306.jpg

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Now that the pictures are out, my thoughts on the stuff:

CD3Ks were a lot better than expected. This was my first time hearing them. I compared them to the HD650s, liked the CD3Ks better. The're comfy, sound good, a very nice phone. Thanks Rycet, now i'm going to need to get a job so I can buy these bad boys.
tongue.gif

HD650s were worse than expected. I liked them in Maryland, even thought about saving up to get HD600s, but this time around, they were too tight (When I heard them before, I had V6s, and I liked clamping headphones. After a month with the SR-60s, I like loose headphones, and the Senns seemed too tight) and the CD3Ks sounded better.

HP-1s were okay, they are very thick and heavy and from a comfort aspect not as good as the CD3Ks.

The various amps were good, I didn't notice much of a difference, because I am still pretty new to headphones. I was surprised that nice cans like the CD3K sounded good on my Bradford. I was thrilled that the Fisher 500B worked, previously I had trouble with it.

Same applies to the sources, in a blind test I doubt I could tell the difference between a SD-3950 and one of the nicer CDPs. Bill told me about the Echo Indigo stuff, which seems pretty cool, looking into it.

Overall, I had a great time.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Cool a Fisher, I'd love to hear that. Did that lazy 1911 every show up? I hpe he did because I'm taking that 3960 back, his crappy denon reciever is sucking in NYC.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Cool a Fisher, I'd love to hear that. Did that lazy 1911 every show up? I hpe he did because I'm taking that 3960 back, his crappy denon reciever is sucking in NYC.

No, he didn't make it.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
No, he didn't make it.

i just called him- he just woke up. worked till 5am last nite. what a loser.

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 16
yeah sorry i missed the meet...after all, this is philadelphia's week...but to correct jahn i worked until 7:30 this morning so i ended up waking up at 7pm when jahn called to ask how the meet was....
whatever, jahn..the 3960 is mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

looking forward to trying out the akg 501....

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

CD3Ks were a lot better than expected. This was my first time hearing them. I compared them to the HD650s, liked the CD3Ks better. The're comfy, sound good, a very nice phone. Thanks Rycet, now i'm going to need to get a job so I can buy these bad boys.
tongue.gif

Sorry I couldn't make it, maybe next time.....if youl iked the CD3000 out of the Sudgen, well wait until you hear the CD3000 out a better matched amp, I ahve not heard it out of the Sudgen but the consensus here is that the Sudgen is not considered a good match for it, not AFAIK (very good for AT cans though).....you will love them more out of my PPA, or the RP33/31....

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

tongue.gif

Taylor, You've been warned
very_evil_smiley.gif
btw it's just so unfortunate for me that I've to work today and came to the meet late. Sorry guys that if I can't involve in any conversation today, I'm just trying to get the most of my time listening headphone
icon10.gif
What strucks me this time is when I tried canman's Omega w/ techno music, wow it's just amazing. I've heard canman's omega from the last Philadelphia meet and eventhough it's good but it's not my cup of tea, that's until I heard a techno coming from it. It blows my cd3k powered by sugden. It's just fortunate for me that lately I'm not into techno more than I used to.
wink.gif
If not, I'll be having wallet problem by now
biggrin.gif

Sugden + CD3k looks like a better combo for me than my Perreaux, it got more separation and detail. Since Sov mentioned that PPA or RP33/31 will be a better amp. I've got to hear those so I know what my cd3k capable of.
Thank's Taylor for the meet. It's been wonderful eventhough I was there for a short time only.

Feb 6, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Sorry I couldn't make it, maybe next time.....if youl iked the CD3000 out of the Sudgen, well wait until you hear the CD3000 out a better matched amp, I ahve not heard it out of the Sudgen but the consensus here is that the Sudgen is not considered a good match for it, not AFAIK (very good for AT cans though).....you will love them more out of my PPA, or the RP33/31....

CD3000 out of the Sugden was actually pretty nice. Probably the best I've heard this heapdhone. The amp smoothed out the highs nicely. The bass could have been better defined -- the Sugden showed this problem with all headphones present, however it is a high quality solid state amp otherwise.

Thanks Taylor for getting the meet together. I'd like to see you fix up that Fisher 500 Amp--It's got a lot of potential.

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
CD3000 out of the Sugden was actually pretty nice. Probably the best I've heard this heapdhone. The amp smoothed out the highs nicely. The bass could have been better defined -- the Sugden showed this problem with all headphones present, however it is a high quality solid state amp otherwise.

Thanks Taylor for getting the meet together. I'd like to see you fix up that Fisher 500 Amp--It's got a lot of potential.

That could be possible, I'm not deniying that posibility, and I have not heard that combo personally, but do you have any other good match for it, for comparison sake there? I like the CD3000 even unamped, but once you amp it properly the things are evne better....
I just stated that based on my prior extensive research while I got my CD3000 the first time, and the Sudgen was crossed out from the list following multiple recos of some experienced members, but as stated many times everybody hears differently, and following those same members later on, I have gotten some amps, that at the end I did not like them paired with the CD3000 neither...Just for the records among the best amps I have heard are my PPA with dynobiased diamond buffers, linear PSU and internal regulation, with OPA637BP/627BP and the Rudistor amps RP31/33, the rest I have tried including multithousand dollard tube monsters, are just not as good as those, now one bird wispered in my ear that the AD8065 make the PPA with those buffers sound even better, I will try them as soon as I have some money to get the browndogs adapters.....
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I figured out that I can enjoy the CD3000 once the harsh high end is controlled. We had the Earmax Pro and the Perreaux SXH-1. I like the CD3000 with the Earmax Pro but it was way too bright with the Perreaux. The Sugden made the CD3000 sound smoother while maintaining an open sound. The bass response was a bit muddy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
That could be possible, I'm not deniying that posibility, and I have not heard that combo personally, but do you have any other good match for it, for comparison sake there? I like the CD3000 even unamped, but once you amp it properly the things are evne better....
I just stated that based on my prior extensive research while I got my CD3000 the first time, and the Sudgen was crossed out from the list following multiple recos of some experienced members, but as stated many times everybody hears differently, and following those same members later on, I have gotten some amps, that at the end I did not like them paired with the CD3000 neither...Just for the records among the best amps I have heard are my PPA with dynobiased diamond buffers, linear PSU and internal regulation, with OPA637BP/627BP and the Rudistor amps RP31/33, the rest I have tried including multithousand dollard tube monsters, are just not as good as those, now one bird wispered in my ear that the AD8065 make the PPA with those buffers sound even better, I will try them as soon as I have some money to get the browndogs adapters.....
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
I figured out that I can enjoy the CD3000 once the harsh high end is controlled. We had the Earmax Pro and the Perreaux SXH-1. I like the CD3000 with the Earmax Pro but it was way too bright with the Perreaux. The Sugden made the CD3000 sound smoother while maintaining an open sound. The bass response was a bit muddy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

I think that this is the main difference between many members and me, IMO the CD3000 has no harsh highs at all, just extremely extended and ultra detailed, but in any case they fatigue me, but under any circumstances I want them attenuated or rolled, and harshness would fatigue any ear IMO. I know that some people will not like them that way, the same way I do not like the top Grado presentation or the top Senns presentation, that is the main reason what I remain stay away of the rest of the headphones, or tube amps for the CD3K, all of them sounded rolled off to me...
3000smile.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 16
This was my first meet and I had a great time. My thanks to Taylor for hosting and to his family for agreeing to let him host.

As a noobie, my first observation is how much more texture you get by talking about the phones and amps with other folks versus what you can glean from reading posts. Everyone was very passionate (in a good way) about what they were hearing and why. That was especially helpful as a noob.

I particularly liked the cd3000's with the Sugden amp - it was very smooth (but kept the toe-tapping quality that I like) compared to the Perreaux while the EarMax seemed to rob some of the life from them. I'm sorry that Sovkiller wasn't there with his Rudistor - I was looking forward to to listening to the 3000's with that amp.

Canman's Stax/KGSS set-up is lovely but, since I've listened to it extensively at his place, I didn't spend much time with it yesterday.

The 650s remain elusive; sometimes I love them and sometimes I'm neutral. And that can be during the same piece of music. I never dislike them but lust isn't part of the equation either.

I fear for the future and my wallet now that I've lost my ..........

Feb 6, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 16
HI: TAYLOR was a great host and his parents were very graces and hospital to all who attended. There were refreshments on hand also. Thanks TAYLOR and his parents for the meet. It seems that the Sony 3k were the show stoppers and with the right amp sounded not as harsh as I remembered them to sound. I thought that CARMEN who I fellowed to the meet, tube amp look great and cute. But I just seem to be a solid state guy. Thanks CARMEN for getting me there. I must admit that after listing to the 3k that they were very detailed and very clear sounding with a very nice sound stage. my 590 sounded like mud compared to them. LOL. I also found the senn. 650 OK but not near the great sound of the 3k. The members were a bunch of great folks and all were very polite and interesting. One guy BILL I think his name is is going over seas to live and was a treat to talk to. Thanks BILL. I enjoyed the members way more than all the equipment that was there and felt like they were my good friends. Thanks all.

Feb 7, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 16
The CD3Ks sounded good with every amp I tried, while being comfier than the 650s (My head seems to be getting bigger, the HD6xx used to fit me but now they are too small to be comfortable even when fully extended)

But they are $400, and I have $90 to spend on headphones. Luckily, the Fisher 500 restoration kit is $90, so hopefully the fisher will be at the next meet, running even better, and with a headphone jack. I wonder how the CD3K sounds with it
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back