Philips X2HR vs Beyerdynamic DT880
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Borteese

New Head-Fier
Last month, I was lucky enough to go to the E-Earphones store in Tokyo. I tried several headphones and narrowed my taste down to lesser bass and what many people would consider harsh highs, as I found the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Hifiman Edition XS to bear the most enjoyable listening experience. Unfortunately, the store did not have the X2HR to try out, which seems to have excellent reviews. It also seems to have a generally pleasant sound signature (other than the huge jump at 300 Hz and below but I could just adjust using EQ), and according to Rtings.com, slightly better soundstage performance than the DT880. I am wondering if X2HR would fit my taste and or match the performance I got from the DT880. I mainly listen to classical music btw.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 2
They're different experiences- different levels of refinement. The treble is there, but it isn't as clean. A less detailed, but more fun sounding headphone than the DT880.
It scales surprisingly well though... you could make it a very decent headphone for classical with the right dac and amp.
The AKG k712 pro is supposed to be similar to the dt880, but with a wider soundstage, like the x2hr.

Powered properly though, on a quality chain... my dt880 600 ohm is as wide as my x2hr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back