Philips vs Pioneer Dolby Headphone Set-up
Nov 14, 2005 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
I was searching on the net one day
and low and behold I saw this splashed on avs forum

It appears that someone has made a comparison between Pioneer Dolby Headphones and Philips HD1500.

I saw also saw a short review on this link

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-...?reviewid=5130

Here is his comments--

I have both headphones. I have the Pioneer headphones which i use upstairs with my xbox and the Philips headphones which i use with my DVD player downstairs.

Heres a quick review for each one (both are run in):

Philips
Build/Features: The philips build quaility is very good for the dolby headphone amp/transmitter and for the headphones. There is only one Coax (digital) input and a Coax output. There is also analogue in. You charge the 2 AA batteries (2 sets are provided) by lifting up a flap on the transmitter. There are also 2 headphone sockets provided to connect normal wired headphones. They take the 1/4 inch connection, so high end headphones can be used.

Sound: Wow! these headphones sound awesome. Its like you are listening to a very expensive home cinema system. The sound does come from in front of you and sounds really do come from behind. Thats just with TV, when you use a DVD with DTS or DD, Fast and the furious - Superbit for example, the sounds just superb. They go loud, sound great, bass and treble are awesome, and the bass especially reminds me of my Rel sub, very tuneful and it goes low.

Also, there is no hiss or pops or crackles. I also forgot to mention they sound fantastic with stereo material.

Highly recommended. 10/10

Pioneer

Build/Features: The quality of the headphones and infrared transmitter are very good. You lift up a plastic flap in the transmitter and insert the batteries to charge. Only 1 set of batteries are included.

On the plus side, you get coax (digital) in and also optical in, along with analogue inputs. The headphones are also quite comfortable

Sound: The sound is very good and the infrared works great. No hiss or pops, and hiss only appears if the volume is on full (like most digital wireless headphones).

The treble is detailed and the bass is quite thumpy. Initial is sounds good, especially for films and games, but the philips are much better for music.

The dolby headphone system works great, but it just doesn't appear to sound as 'out of your head' as the philips headphones.

Way way better than any computer using dolby headphone, and if these were the first ones i tried, i would be like wow! But because i have the philips, i will always compare them, and compared to the philips they are great, but not excellent.

Great surround headphones 8/10

as qtd., by Honglong from avs forums.

It looks like the philips set-up competes with the pioneers!

On that short review by homecinemachoice

notice what it says below it. Try clicking on it.

It looks me to like another DH solution might be coming to US soon it's just a secret for now.

Remember the keyword to this other set-up is DIGITAL RF TRANSMISSION, not IR

GAME USERS check out this.

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/apps...7?opendocument

One more thing try searching under Philips HD1500 again on google.com

look under product search results

s u r p r i s e .

dolby headphone's got comp'any'etition
wink.gif
no reviews yet, though, on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back