Philips SHP9500 Upgrade Recommendations
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Audiotismo

New Head-Fier
Hello, all.
I'm looking to upgrade from the 9500's and while I have not compared them to too many other headphones I'm having a hard time finding a pair of headphones that I like more if I'm being honest. I'll list below what I've tested with and my rough impressions.

Owned Gear:
Source: PC
Dac: Topping e30
Amp: Smsl sp200
Headphones: Philips SHP9500, Meze 99 Classics, Koss KPH30i/ Porta Pro/ KSC75, HD681-EVO
In ear: Tin T2, KZ ZST
Other: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Speakers: PreSonus Eres E3.5

Main setup:
Source: PC
Dac: Topping e30
Amp: Smsl sp200
Headphones: Philips SHP9500
Listening preference: Progressive/Black Metal, Drum and Bass, Leftfield Bass, Guitar tracking, mixing (for fun).

So I'm looking for a pretty linear upgrade from the 9500's, a higher end jack of all trades for long pc sessions including music, gaming, and media. Preferably open backs, and just as comfortable as the 9500's. I'm not sure if my ears just got really used to the 9500's but I like them a lot even though they do have a few flaws. I'm looking for a headphone that will be similar in sound signature to the 9500's, but with slightly more elevated sub bass, clearer and less grainy highs, and a wider soundstage.

Budget: $1200

Headphones I've spent a fair amount of time with and compared the 9500 to:

Meze 99 Classics: Very comfortable, fun sound, but a little too warm and bass heavy for a lot of the metal subgenres I listen to.

Bowers & Wilkins P7: Is there anything that doesn't sound great through these? I love these cans and I am considering buying a pair eventually but the clamp force is a little strong and they are closed back. They Just aren't what I'm looking for right now.

HIFIMAN HE4XX: Fun headphone but they seem to lack some sub bass and not as comfortable to me as the 9500's

GoldPlanar GL2000: These headphones are fantastic, I like a lot about these headphones but like most planar headphones I've tried they seem to lack sub bass level.

I've done some research myself and from what I've gathered if I'm looking for more sub bass I should not look towards the Sennheiser HD650 ( could someone confirm?). I've had my eye on the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro for a while now. If anyone owns these I'd certainly appreciate your input.

Please point me in the right direction (I'm looking at you 9500 owners :))
Thank you! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Beyerdynamic T1.3 might float your boat, take a look at some reviews.

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 3
I would check out the Fidelio X3. They are kind if overlooked by a lot of people, but they are my favorite all arounder type headphone. It's relatively neutral sounding, with a slight bass emphasis. The soundstage is huge. They're comfortable, easy to drive.
I have certain headphones for specific genres (Grado 325e, Modhouse Argon, etc) but the X3 does so many things, so well that i find myself not switching headphones as much as i used to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back