Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Feb 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,323 of 2,061
  In most other cans, I could see the cables from the left cup connecting to the right, but where does the 9500 hide the cable, I don't see it? Please enlighten me...

I wondered about that too. I think a really think wire goes through the hinge and is sandwiched in between the layers of metal IIRC. Unless someone else thinks otherwise.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,324 of 2,061
Just got these to use at work with fulla 2. Really like the sound.

In most other cans, I could see the cables from the left cup connecting to the right, but where does the 9500 hide the cable, I don't see it? Please enlighten me...

I wondered about that too. I think a really think wire goes through the hinge and is sandwiched in between the layers of metal IIRC. Unless someone else thinks otherwise.

Looks like the black plastic on the inside of the metal headband is actually a very shallow U shape, and the wire runs through that.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,325 of 2,061
  Just got these a few days ago. I recently had the M40x and 598se. in comparison to those the 9500s seem to have less problems but i think its still lacking something in the top end. kinda merky in the higher frequencies. :frowning2: how do the Audio Technica AUD ATHAD500X compare to 9500s?

That is, frankly speaking, quite strange. Its rather common to see people finds the top end of them a tad overwhelming than their general listening preference.

In case you're after more treble rich phones, look into Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, Foxter T50RP MK III etc. They do require a hell lot of power though. I think Hifiman HE-350 is also qualified without the necessity of powerful amp.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,326 of 2,061

That is, frankly speaking, quite strange. Its rather common to see people finds the top end of them a tad overwhelming than their general listening preference.

In case you're after more treble rich phones, look into Beyerdynamic DT990 pro, Foxter T50RP MK III etc. They do require a hell lot of power though. I think Hifiman HE-350 is also qualified without the necessity of powerful amp.

Thanks it turned out to be a adapter I was using. anyway, I made a video review of these headphones now.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,327 of 2,061
So is there some sort of consensus as to which HM5 pads change the sound in a particular way?

We have the options of;

Sheepskin
Pleather
Velour
Hybrids
Angled pleather, sheepskin and velour

Any input would be appreciated.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,328 of 2,061
I got a pair of these today.

They sound great and are super comfortable. I don't know why anybody would feel the need to replace the pads.

The clamp is super light, but the sound leak is pretty high.  Leaks more than dt990, but not as much as lcd-2.

Unamped it sounds similar to my dt990 250ohm+fulla 2.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,330 of 2,061
  So is there some sort of consensus as to which HM5 pads change the sound in a particular way?

We have the options of;

Sheepskin
Pleather

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi there,

I just finished putting on the velour HM5 pads on mine. The sound has changed slightly with a slight soundstage increase, Maybe a slight boost in low end could be a placebo for me as i wanted slightly more bass. Highs are still as crispy as ever.
Comfort is greatly increased i found that there was not enough clamp on my head. These pads have enabled me to look at the floor without them moving.

Overall a solid improvement to the already lovely headphones

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,331 of 2,061
I got a pair of these today.

They sound great and are super comfortable. I don't know why anybody would feel the need to replace the pads.

The clamp is super light, but the sound leak is pretty high.  Leaks more than dt990, but not as much as lcd-2.

Unamped it sounds similar to my dt990 250ohm+fulla 2.

Because for some they are not super comfortable stock for long listening sessions....as they have a very shallow pad depth that starts irritating the ears after a short time. Aftermarket pads fix the issue though... the Shure 1840 pads work great and are JUST enough thicker to make the difference without changing the sound much. They also improve the bass and clarity, and are smaller and lighter than the stock pads.

i-gKv4nG4.jpg
Code:

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,333 of 2,061
As a owner of samson SR 850, which are essentially Superlux 668;s, i would say that the difference is considerable. The 9500's are in my opinion great all-arounders, that do well un-EQd. Comfortable, replaceable generic 3.5mm cable, non-fatigue highs. It;s a few levels above. I did enjoy my Samsons for their price, but this is the big boys league now.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,334 of 2,061
I actually own the samson counterpart as well but, the highs dont fatigue me I love bright highs, great for mastering. Build quality is a good point and my cable is getting all janked but Im not after build quality too much. the problem I have with the samsons is the lack of detail in the bass and lower mids.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,335 of 2,061
Just received a pair of Brainwavz velour and a pair of the pleather.  Put on the velour ones first.  So far the bottom end sounds way fuller.  The treble is tamed way down.  The mids sound more clear.  
Comfort wise they are a major improvement.  The headphones don't move any more.  Ears no longer touch the drivers.  

Once my fingers recover, I will try out the pleather ones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back