Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Oct 23, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,098 of 2,061
Oh where did you get them? The shure pads I mean I looked on eBay and amazon they were like 100+ cad.

I thought i saw them on Long and McQuaid for like 60 , maybe backorder but i believe you can buy it there

Im in Toronto btw ..

so maybe try that

https://www.long-mcquade.com/69891/Pro_Audio_Recording/Headphones/Shure/Ear_Pads_for_SRH1540_Pair.htm

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,100 of 2,061
I have had these headphones for 2 weeks.

Ok so... The sound? huge stuff some real mama jama business we have going on here. This is cleaner than the ATH M50 and best of all its actually open. Bass is huge for open back aswell way stronger and more powerful than my HD 598 These Phillips are likely on par with the HD 600.

Now for built, the looks are incredibly beautiful, but boy is it disgustingly uncomfortable stock pads are absolute GARBAGE. Too slippery, too big and too shallow and a stupid 90's car seat material. I sort of kinda fixed this by ripping the pads from the glue and stuffing sponge underneath it to raise it and give it thickness it feels better now but I still do not like it.

Headband? OMG the headband is trash its waaaay too slack it has 0 clamping force and slippery pads mean it always slide off my head with the slightest tilt. And mind you I actually have a large head.

So where are we now? massive sound for the price essentially HD 600 sennheiser sound but man is the build trash.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,101 of 2,061
I guess it just depends on what you expect for the 60-80 dollar price-tag.

Personally, I think the detachable cable is a plus and the lack of (easily) detachable pads is a minus. I find them exceptionally comfortable, unless I'm moving, then there are definite fit issues. They are handsome or at least it is hard to argue that they are ugly (at least in a way that a permanent marker can't fix). All the materials seem exactly in line with what I would expect out of 60-ish dollar cans. To me, all that seems like a wash. Some things are better than I expect for the price, some are worse.

What really tips the scale for me is the excellent sound for the price. Makes me more forgiving about the few real shortcomings.

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #1,102 of 2,061
  I guess it just depends on what you expect for the 60-80 dollar price-tag.

Personally, I think the detachable cable is a plus and the lack of (easily) detachable pads is a minus. I find them exceptionally comfortable, unless I'm moving, then there are definite fit issues. They are handsome or at least it is hard to argue that they are ugly (at least in a way that a permanent marker can't fix). All the materials seem exactly in line with what I would expect out of 60-ish dollar cans. To me, all that seems like a wash. Some things are better than I expect for the price, some are worse.

What really tips the scale for me is the excellent sound for the price. Makes me more forgiving about the few real shortcomings.

Actually the funny thing is the housing for the pads are crazy easily detachable. The problem seems to stem from the fact that when you remove the housing that the pads are attached to you cannot remove the actual pads from it but you can remove it by ripping it off and just wrapping the brainwavz pads onto the housing and problem solved.

I know the shp pads are easier to replace than sennheiser assuming you are willing to rip out the original pads and foam. I hate the pad material in the phillips and how stupidly shallow the 9500 pads are my god who would build trash like this? the funny thing is the headband is Metal which is superior to the plastic HD 555/598 that always cracks yet somehow the sennheiser headband still feels so much better.

One major issue the 9500 has is that it is too comfortable and that is a real concern, yes it feels like you have clouds on your head but that is the very issue as humans we need feedback we need to feel that we are in control of something we are using. The sennheiser delivers this the clamping force is just right the phillips stupid clamping force and for some weird reason the metal head bands literally stretches out and remains opened wide for quite a while.

With that aside, my god is this headphone beautiful? this is the most beautiful looking headphone I have owned since a Denon Fostex D2000. AND it sounds just as good as the Denons a little better infact since the phillips are open back and everyone knows no closed back can ever compare to open backs.

Sound quality from these phillips are crazy good I am still baffled as to how on earth Phillips managed to accomplish this for the price.

IS it a case of Audio quality over build quality? I will assume so. I have had many headphones over my lifetime and I always sold them and went back to my HD 598 because I never found a sound signature that can touch Sennheiser. But the phillips 9500 and the Fostex D2000 were the only headphones I ever came across that satisfied me and I am a super picky annoying OCD person when it comes to these things.
These 9500s are a keeper they are perfect once you are willing to MOD them.

My next step is replacing ear pads with quality ones and finding a way to solve the 0 clamp force problem. Perhaps I may replace the headband or wrap it with leather or something to prevent it from slipping on my head?

Oct 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,103 of 2,061
  Actually the funny thing is the housing for the pads are crazy easily detachable. The problem seems to stem from the fact that when you remove the housing that the pads are attached to you cannot remove the actual pads from it but you can remove it by ripping it off and just wrapping the brainwavz pads onto the housing and problem solved.

I know the shp pads are easier to replace than sennheiser assuming you are willing to rip out the original pads and foam. I hate the pad material in the phillips and how stupidly shallow the 9500 pads are my god who would build trash like this? the funny thing is the headband is Metal which is superior to the plastic HD 555/598 that always cracks yet somehow the sennheiser headband still feels so much better.

One major issue the 9500 has is that it is too comfortable and that is a real concern, yes it feels like you have clouds on your head but that is the very issue as humans we need feedback we need to feel that we are in control of something we are using. The sennheiser delivers this the clamping force is just right the phillips stupid clamping force and for some weird reason the metal head bands literally stretches out and remains opened wide for quite a while.

With that aside, my god is this headphone beautiful? this is the most beautiful looking headphone I have owned since a Denon Fostex D2000. AND it sounds just as good as the Denons a little better infact since the phillips are open back and everyone knows no closed back can ever compare to open backs.

Sound quality from these phillips are crazy good I am still baffled as to how on earth Phillips managed to accomplish this for the price.

IS it a case of Audio quality over build quality? I will assume so. I have had many headphones over my lifetime and I always sold them and went back to my HD 598 because I never found a sound signature that can touch Sennheiser. But the phillips 9500 and the Fostex D2000 were the only headphones I ever came across that satisfied me and I am a super picky annoying OCD person when it comes to these things.
These 9500s are a keeper they are perfect once you are willing to MOD them.

My next step is replacing ear pads with quality ones and finding a way to solve the 0 clamp force problem. Perhaps I may replace the headband or wrap it with leather or something to prevent it from slipping on my head?

I don't mind the pads, so I am hesitant to take a step to replace them that I can't untake. It's good to know about the options though. I assume at some point these pads will crap out and then I will be up for modding them.

The point about the 9500 is well taken. These are comfortable like a t-shirt that you forget you're wearing. Oppo PM-3's, for example, are like a big comfy sweater that you can't stop cozying up to. I've always preferred that latter kind of comfort. But, now even more so. I occasionally forget the 9500's are on head (while pausing the the music to have a conversation or something), then I look down too suddenly and down they go.

If you find a way to improve the clamp, PLEASE post it. I've flirted with bending the headband in a few spots, but it made me nervous (since what I was bending was plastic) and I gave up. Slight improvement from it. They don't fall off of my head; now they just slide around.

I think the issue is the clamp of the pads and the weight of the outer band. I was thinking thicker pads might help, but it sounds like you've tried that (?).

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,104 of 2,061

I don't mind the pads, so I am hesitant to take a step to replace them that I can't untake. It's good to know about the options though. I assume at some point these pads will crap out and then I will be up for modding them.

The point about the 9500 is well taken. These are comfortable like a t-shirt that you forget you're wearing. Oppo PM-3's, for example, are like a big comfy sweater that you can't stop cozying up to. I've always preferred that latter kind of comfort. But, now even more so. I occasionally forget the 9500's are on head (while pausing the the music to have a conversation or something), then I look down too suddenly and down they go.

If you find a way to improve the clamp, PLEASE post it. I've flirted with bending the headband in a few spots, but it made me nervous (since what I was bending was plastic) and I gave up. Slight improvement from it. They don't fall off of my head; now they just slide around.

I think the issue is the clamp of the pads and the weight of the outer band. I was thinking thicker pads might help, but it sounds like you've tried that (?).

Since I peeled the pad off the glue in the inside of the headphone so I could place sponge on the underside of the pad to raise it and make it thicker, it has certainly helped in terms of clamping force however even that was short lived while it has better claping force than before it still falls off my head if I tilt forward.

And if I remove it from my head I notice the head band gets completely stretched out and actually REMAINS stretched apart. Which is crazy I never seen a headphone do this, this is the absolute worse headband I have ever witnessed of any headphone in my life which is strange given how high quality it looks with metal and stuff.

The only thing I think may work is some kind of crazy thick massive thick pads will let you know if I find a way to fix this issue then you will maybe spend some more for leather headband replacement to help prevent it from sliding as this car seat material slides easily. if I had to do it all over again I would certainly spend the extra cash for the Fidelio X1 phillips but atleast we get similar sound to the HD 600 for $65 with these shp 9500 right?

I bought the 9500 based on Z reviews dumb ass stupid review of him claiming its the best thing ever most comfortable and with these you don't need the X1 or the HD 600 bla bla bla. That guy talks out of his arse if you ask me. The materials used to make these are very cheap and you get what you pay for. They sacrificed a lot of build quality for the sound which most people consider the correct thing to do. But I would still get the X1 over these if I had to do it all over again.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,105 of 2,061

I bought the 9500 based on Z reviews dumb ass stupid review of him claiming its the best thing ever most comfortable and with these you don't need the X1 or the HD 600 bla bla bla. That guy talks out of his arse if you ask me. The materials used to make these are very cheap and you get what you pay for. They sacrificed a lot of build quality for the sound which most people consider the correct thing to do. But I would still get the X1 over these if I had to do it all over again.

Lmfaooooo

I got sucked in for the cups too

but in all seriousness, the 9500 is a great can for like when you're lay down or to sleep with.

Its sturdy, comfy, and for me they stayed on my head.

I've had to do all sorts of crazy headband things. It has leather now...

But yeah X1,X2, is defo better, more $$$ (obviously) but 9500 is pretty decent if fit is somewhat "OK" tht headband is just mysteriously strange

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,106 of 2,061
I've got the X2's and I would highly recommend them. They are better in every way, unless you have to have a neutral sound. X2's are bit warm of neutral. Not without their own small flaws, but overall wonderful cans. They aren't driven well by my computer, so I got the 9500's.

I haven't noticed mine staying stretched out, but I've only logged about 10 or 12 post-burn-in hours in them. Guess, I'll find out soon.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,107 of 2,061
^ YEah the head band will just remain wide open unless you set them down and leave it for a while then they close back in until they touch looks like the headband gets weak because they made it so slack in the first place. LOL

But I agree overall great sound for $65. Throw in some quality 3rd party earpads and a headband leather wrapping or something that won't slip and you should have a super grand pair of headphones for life.

I love what this guy did in this video but a better quality pad might be needed I heard bad things about the pleather on these pads. They last less than a year.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,109 of 2,061
I haven't had any of the problems you describe with the headband.  The metal extension clicks in place and you can see exactly how far you have the drivers extended since they added numbers and hash-marks to see how far the band is out.  I agree it has a fairly loose fit but this is great if you do extended listening sessions.

The pad material doesn't bother me at all and they help with comfort and from keeping them from getting too hot/sticky.

I don't have a lot of hair and the top of the headband feels very comfortable on the top of my head.

As pretty much everyone has said, the sound is great.  Nice wide soundstage, fairly neutral sound, and decent base for an open-back design. I'm sure X2 is much better but it comes at a higher cost.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,110 of 2,061
  So I have a question these SHP 9500 are angled drivers right? if I am buying the brainwavz pads to mod this should I get the angled brainwavz mh5 pads or the regular ones?

Check this out: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3kcpo6/philips_shp9500_with_hm5_velor_angled_pads/

Apparently, the angled velours (HM5) stop the slip and sliding hmm.... maybe you can be a guinea pig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back