Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Oct 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,071 of 2,061
Not familiar with how Sennheiser's sound but I imagine its similar to my experience with the AKG K-7XX. Everybody raves about that headphone so I tried it....sounded not like what I was expecting it to, flat out boring sounding and muffled. When I picked up the SHP9500's the AKG K-7XX then no longer were of any use to me, the SHP9500's were better in almost every way to me for nearly 1/4 the price - couldn't take the K-7XX anymore. The only thing the K-7XX has going for it is how they fit on the head...that is quite a nice, light comfortable fit that also is very secure on the head...amazing how they are able to do that. Really, I have not been impressed with many high end phones I've listened to with the special amps that are supposedcto bring out their best, the only one I really am impressed with so far has been the low end STAX (which I much prefer over the high end STAX).

The Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart is my absolute favorite thusfar, followed VERY closely by the SHP9500's....I will be adding a STAX SR-L300 in the near future, and that should complete my headphone selection: closed(ish), open, electrostatic...

Oct 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,072 of 2,061
No stax for me yet still drooling over the pictures of them and flinching at the price. My next favourite cans are my msr7's I love these, detail is amazing and seperation is good great all arounder bass, mid and Treble. But i do find myself picking up my 9500's first all the time.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #1,077 of 2,061
Has someone taken apart the whole thing or have images of how much you can actually disassemble? Just curious because I'm thinking about painting it. I'd check myself, but I don't have my SHPs with me atm.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,080 of 2,061
Buy them you will not be dissatisfied

Funny you should say that.  I had a pair, but sold them.  They didn't have enough low end to keep me interested.  I just put the link to the Newegg sale as a PSA.

The SHP9500 is a fine set of open back headphones nonetheless, and anyone looking for a bright, open headphone in this price range should consider them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back