Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 31, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,037 of 2,061
  I've had these Philips headphones for a few weeks now, trying to find their strengths and weaknesses.  Overall a pretty enjoyable set, but when I do a head to head comparison to my CAL!, they come up slightly short every time.  Playing something like the Black Keys, the bass line is just missing half the impact.  Its like looking at a painting and only being able to see half the red spectrum. 

The CAL! also has richer sounding mids. 

The Philips do have a nice clean sound, and I've been using them for movies recently, and enjoying them.  But for a lot of the music I listen to, they are subtly lacking.  Its not like the CAL! is crushing them, just edging them out every step of the way.  If someone wants an open back set in the $50 range, the SHP9500 is a no brainer recommendation for anyone but a bass head, but there is at least one alternative in this price range that I prefer, though of course they are closed back.

The loose adjustment is my least favorite part of the Philips physical construction.  I'm constantly fiddling with it, and it refuses to stay in place as I take them off. 

thanks for the post, I was looking for comparison between these two set, but failed to find any maybe because open vs closed. I am short on money and can buy only one and came to know these two in this price range. i listen to all sorts of music from instrumentals like cellos to metal led zeppelin and currently using VE monk plus where I miss the bass more specifically sub bass but love the mid and soundstage. Since you have both CAL and SHP can you please compare them in a bit more detail like CAL is still better in the mid and high and then SHP and what about soundstage, I know Cal supposed to have small soundstage since its closed but the SHP doesnt have massive soundstage from what I have heard. What about instrument separation and comfort? Is any of them are Fatiguing?

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,038 of 2,061
I may not be the best at responding to this.  I'm not particularly articulate in the terms used for describing audio, and my hearing can't compare to that of many younger people, so my impression of the highs will not be truly accurate for many.

The CAL has an immediate impression of warmth and musicality.  The bass response is apparent and extends reasonably well, but one of the main criticisms of the CAL is that the bass can get a little loose and sloppy.  Instrument separation is good, but not great, and in certain ranges, like female vocals, there are slightly better choices.  There is no harshness or piercing highs, at least, not for me.  Overall, it produces a relaxing, mellow sound that becomes quite addictive, though it might not be perfectly accurate.

When I listen to the Philips set, I don't really notice the deficiencies until I do a head to head comparison of the same song from the same source.  Then I notice that the sound, though clear, isn't as full as with the CAL, and the lower registers are simply not being represented properly.  The bass that is there is punchy, but for much of the music I listen to, it lacks the same impact. Instrument separation is good.  The Philips is a little easier to drive, I have to use slightly less on the volume to match the same level of sound. 

Soundstage?  Mostly a wash, with rather average results for both, though I suppose that is a good point for the CAL since it is closed back.  Neither match my AKG K240 in this regard, though it is one of the very few areas where I prefer that AKG over either of these headphones.

Comfort is very subjective.  Some people will not like the small pads on the CAL, though they are very soft.  The openings within them are not large enough to fit your ears inside, at least  not for me or anyone I've had try them.  The Philips are on the other end of the scale, and will accommodate virtually any size ear within, but the material of the pads is not first rate, and I found them scratchy.  The loose fit of the Philips is annoying, and they will slip around until you shorten them to the point that the headband starts pressing down on the top of your head, which is uncomfortable for me.  The CAL is far more comfortable for me to wear for extended listening sessions.

I never experience any audio fatigue when listening to either set, so that shouldn't be a concern.

One thing to note, the CAL is not what I would call a robustly made headphone.  If you are rough on equipment, you don't want to buy them.  They aren't meant to be stuffed into a backpack and toted around.  The Philips, though annoying in its adjustment design, seems to be better made.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,039 of 2,061
Has anyone else reported receiving the revised 's' model with tighter clamp and more bass?  I'd like to get that verified by some more folks.

Quote:
How are the shp8000s with alpha pads/zmf pads?
I'm using monoprice 8323s right now, how much of an improvement would it be?

Big improvement. The 8323's are more bass-heavy but my 8323 drivers have heavier bass in one ear than the other and a lot less clarity than the SHP's. The SHP's have wonderful sound though you may or may not find them too loose on your head and they are a bit bass-light. I was listening to them through a Fiio Q1 and I would keep the bass switch on which would give it a nice boost while maintaining clarity. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,042 of 2,061
Question for those who have owned the SHP9500's for a while now...

How does the sound change overtime with burn-in? I just bought these, currently being shipped so haven't listened to them yet. 

So far I've heard the highs out of the box can be harsh but mellow in time but nothing else.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,043 of 2,061
  Question for those who have owned the SHP9500's for a while now...

How does the sound change overtime with burn-in? I just bought these, currently being shipped so haven't listened to them yet. 

So far I've heard the highs out of the box can be harsh but mellow in time but nothing else.

I have not noticed much change in burn in maybe the sibilance up top has changed a bit and is a bit more tamed. However i do not find that the bass or sub base is more prominent. Mids IMO didnt change at all.

BTW I wanted to gather what everyone are using for their earpads, want to tame the high end and bring out the bass a bit any recommendation?

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,044 of 2,061

I have not noticed much change in burn in maybe the sibilance up top has changed a bit and is a bit more tamed. However i do not find that the bass or sub base is more prominent. Mids IMO didnt change at all.

BTW I wanted to gather what everyone are using for their earpads, want to tame the high end and bring out the bass a bit any recommendation?

Seems alpha pads, hm5 work well. I would think so, since they work well with my xb1000 pads which are deep. Before I did the bowl mod, they sounded awesome with deeper pads and back open.

I had no complaints. None. Just pure awesome relaxed sound. The slightly piercing highs when brand new tamed after some 50-100 hours, and the bass/sub bass was more awakened. It could be in my head. Definitely with pad change as more distance from ear drum. I enjoyed the original pads as well. I think the biggest issue presented is small heads mixed with the low clamping force. These can slide off easy

Fat pads, and bending of headband, and metal by adjustment area were recommended.

Still, these are not for smaller heads. If sitting and not moving much like lying down, they should work fine.

Bigger pads + bowl mod = slightly boomier bass, but not as clean, clear, tame as without (should be obv as one is open vs semi-open)

Good Luck

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,046 of 2,061
Are there actual brick and mortar stores that would sell thew new 9500 (9500S?), in the LA area? Unfortunately I forgot about checking up the newegg prices, then heard about the S too late, as my friend is coming back home to visit, and even 2 day shipping is cutting it close.

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,047 of 2,061
I got mines today and they are big improvement over my senneheiser 201. I'm hoping to change the earpads on it, but I  have no if is easy enough to replace them.The headphone is a little loose but they are really, really comfortable and look nice. I'm not going to be moving everywhere with as I am using it for my computer.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,048 of 2,061
  I got mines today and they are big improvement over my senneheiser 201. I'm hoping to change the earpads on it, but I  have no if is easy enough to replace them.The headphone is a little loose but they are really, really comfortable and look nice. I'm not going to be moving everywhere with as I am using it for my computer.

If you get something thin like a butter knife you can carefully pop off the stock pads. Any of the Brainwavz pads will work as replacements, I put angled pleather pads on mine

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,050 of 2,061

The original pads are actually easy to remove without breaking things if you're careful.

They're held on by 4 small clips. Easiest way is to push the whole earpad downwards (i.e. towards the bottom edge of the headphones), then pull one of the bottom edges of the pad towards you. Once you get one clip undone, the others come off easily.

Then you can mount new ear pads. Of course, I recommend you use my adapters :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back