Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 14, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,006 of 2,061
  Interesting mod link.

I left the foam but had removed the felt that was on the drivers. I am really satisfied with the way it sounds to my ears so I am pretty much done modding / tinkering with them. :) 

Give the SHiPs a try... and compare when you receive them with the EVO's. Then sell or return either of them. Or keep em both :)

I did the foam mod and I think the highs are a bit better. 

I don't have money for another pair :p I think I will be better off trading these with the SHP's.. Do you want to trade? :D lol

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,007 of 2,061
I have all 3. I've compared the HD600 to SHP9500 in the previous pages.

lessening to the HE500 and SHP9500 now.
Driving both with the grace m9xx

HE500 $300+ Used, Discontinued (open) 80 volume level on the m9xx is good listening level. (pc volume max out)
+ faster (polar drivers)
+ wwwwaaaayyyy better bass/ 500 wins all the way
+ Waaaayyyy more clear, 4k vs 720p. you can hear everything with no effort on your part
+ more balanced sounding
+ instrument separation
- not as easy to drive, need amp to sound best
- Comfort
-
SHP9500 $40+ used, $50+ New (open) 80 volume level on the m9xx is very loud. (pc volume max out) 65 is what I like
+ Comfort
+ easy to drive
+ neutral
- cymbals gets lost in the background/not as clear as the HE500
-no bass
-ssssssssssssss Sibilance , sharper sound
- can't play complex/fast music

obviously Philips can't compare to hifiman, specially the HE500. The HE500 was design to have the flagship sound without the power hungriness of HE6.
Even the X2 can't touch the HE500.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,009 of 2,061
I have all 3. I've compared the HD600 to SHP9500 in the previous pages.

lessening to the HE500 and SHP9500 now.
Driving both with the grace m9xx

HE500 $300+ Used, Discontinued (open) 80 volume level on the m9xx is good listening level. (pc volume max out)
+ faster (polar drivers)
+ wwwwaaaayyyy better bass/ 500 wins all the way
+ Waaaayyyy more clear, 4k vs 720p. you can hear everything with no effort on your part
+ more balanced sounding
+ instrument separation
- not as easy to drive, need amp to sound best
- Comfort
-
SHP9500 $40+ used, $50+ New (open) 80 volume level on the m9xx is very loud. (pc volume max out) 65 is what I like
+ Comfort
+ easy to drive
+ neutral
- cymbals gets lost in the background/not as clear as the HE500
-no bass
-ssssssssssssss Sibilance , sharper sound
- can't play complex/fast music

obviously Philips can't compare to hifiman, specially the HE500. The HE500 was design to have the flagship sound without the power hungriness of HE6.
Even the X2 can't touch the HE500.

I wouldn't think they could beat a super high end can, but i wondered when watching the youtube reviews how close they could come.

Would you consider the cup mods?

I'm rrrrrrreeeeaaaallllly hoping these cups do what Z Reviews guys says they do.

otherwise i mAY cry , wondering why i didn't get the rp mkIII grrrrrrrrrrrr :p

I just have to know how  TITTY SHIPS sound.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,010 of 2,061
I bought some belkin 3.5mm 2 meter long cable to replace the cable I am currently using, and found that the jack moves around in the socket of the headphones, I tried other they didn't have this problem...

there goes $9 down the drain

it looks normal even with it next to something else, its unusable, since when it moves it can connect or disconnect the left speaker...

just a heads up

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,011 of 2,061
I just got these headphones and performed the Tulon mod!!! 

A) Modhouse cups were added to the sides.  

B) Stock Pads were swapped to Alpha Pad Lamb Leather. 

I don't know if it's been said, but modded SHP9500s legitimately sound like 400+ pair of headphones.  They sound like HE500/400i that decided to become fun. 

I cannot reccomend it enough. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,012 of 2,061

I don't know if it's been said, but modded SHP9500s legitimately sound like 400+ pair of headphones.  They sound like HE500/400i that decided to become fun. 

sweet! Thanks for sharing and the pics too!

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #1,013 of 2,061

NICE WORK!

I'm waiting on my TITTY cups, i got an email saying they are being shipped out of USA to Canada later today :D so hopefully i can do conversion soon.

Can you expand on what the sound is like b/c i know another member went with hm5 pads, i got the 1k sonys , and you have the alpha pad like Z Reviews.

Thanks, and noice TITTY SHIPS!!!

Hope more join the club :p

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,014 of 2,061
Can you expand on what the sound is like b/c i know another member went with hm5 pads, i got the 1k sonys , and you have the alpha pad like Z Reviews.

No problem.  I would not do any thiing other than the Alpha Pads in lamb leather.

The mod improves the headphones in quite a few ways: 

1. The Treble is far less harsh and sibilant.  You still retain the incredible "vocals" these things are known for in stock, but the harshness of the highs seems to be tamed down substantially.

2. THE SOUNDSTAGE IS LARGER THAN MY FIDELIO X2s.  This is quite a statement to make, but the soundstage is absolutely massive in width.  The only place the Fidelio's one plus them in soundstage is they are slightly "more vertical" where as the modded SHP is far more "wider". 

3. They improve the bass in quite an incredible way.  Compared to stock the bass has become far more prominent.

They have become a ton more fun sounding too.  I want to say they have the sound signature of the HE500s but they lack the "accuracy" of that set.  The biggest mouth gaping thing though is- these headphones have incredible bass, a soundstage wider than the Fidelio X2s, Treble/vocals that is reminiscent of HE500s- and can be driven with the tiniest of things. 

It's truly a gamechanger and it puts headphones less than 400 dollars to shame quite easily.  

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,015 of 2,061
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,016 of 2,061
  No problem.  I would not do any thiing other than the Alpha Pads in lamb leather.

The mod improves the headphones in quite a few ways: 

1. The Treble is far less harsh and sibilant.  You still retain the incredible "vocals" these things are known for in stock, but the harshness of the highs seems to be tamed down substantially.

2. THE SOUNDSTAGE IS LARGER THAN MY FIDELIO X2s.  This is quite a statement to make, but the soundstage is absolutely massive in width.  The only place the Fidelio's one plus them in soundstage is they are slightly "more vertical" where as the modded SHP is far more "wider". 

3. They improve the bass in quite an incredible way.  Compared to stock the bass has become far more prominent.

They have become a ton more fun sounding too.  I want to say they have the sound signature of the HE500s but they lack the "accuracy" of that set.  The biggest mouth gaping thing though is- these headphones have incredible bass, a soundstage wider than the Fidelio X2s, Treble/vocals that is reminiscent of HE500s- and can be driven with the tiniest of things. 

It's truly a gamechanger and it puts headphones less than 400 dollars to shame quite easily.  

THANKS  friend.

I'm excited for the cups to arrive! This info was helpful.

One thing I do love is the vocals indeed, i felt more of an emotional punch listening to singers than on my other sets. Ofc I'm waiting to properly close this, and knowing the vocals will be fine along with some more punch sounds a-ok to me :D I could feel the punch holding temp cups to the openings. I think with the 3d cups, seal will be better. Yours looks quite sealed.

I'm an Sony XB fan, so i will play with pads, and probably grab the alpha pads down the road. Glad to see people try this mod. Its defo risky than just to get another decent set and call it a day. Seems it was worthwhile though!!!

What was the can for, like widening the hole in earpads?
Is there no need for x2s then? You say its more fun, is it more than X2s? Is there need to even get X2's? B/c they got good reviews
beyersmile.png

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #1,018 of 2,061

You need to buy the ring adapter from modhouseaudio.com or you can just tear apart the OEM earpads and use that ring, then place earpads over the cups, or glue to ring . Good Luck :D

sorry, didn't clarify, I meant the cups on the outside, the "boob" cups that make it into a closed type headphone, did you use that as well or just the Alpha Pads in lamb leather?

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,020 of 2,061
  sorry, didn't clarify, I meant the cups on the outside, the "boob" cups that make it into a closed type headphone, did you use that as well or just the Alpha Pads in lamb leather?

So far I've seen like 2people do tht mod in the threads

One used Hm5 pads and the other Alpha pads from MrSpeakers. I used the xb1000 pads by SONY (just to test might switch)

They all use (and I will be when they arrive) the cups from modhouseaudio.com I think its like $35 the cups, and you get a discount on adapter (save $5) 

On Z Reviews, he seems to know headphones well, and he went with Mr Speakers alpha pads,and i think he caused a lot of people to go with these SHP model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back