Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #991 of 2,061
The loose adjustment is my least favorite part of the Philips physical construction.  I'm constantly fiddling with it, and it refuses to stay in place as I take them off. 

I actually just ended up returning mine yesterday for this reason. I decided to put the money towards a slightly used pair of k7xx instead. Someone recommended bending the metal to increase clamp but there is a hard piece of plastic lining the metal band and I didn't want to risk breaking it. I loved the sound but they slide off with a simple incline of my head and my head is not small. I knew that this would always be a slight annoyance to me so I sent them back.

Brad

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #992 of 2,061
dt880smile.png
HIYA FOLKS

ok i havn't posted in here in forever. I forget if i joined head fi after getting vmoda lp2s or my xb1000s .... i had some other meh sets like fanny wang (grrrrr strange headphones which sounded like the best things on earth one moment and garbage the next) ... maybe the alcohol :p shure 750 ... meh ... its ok ... liked the 440s more ... n some newmark electrowave ... super meh ...

and my "amps" is like pure China,... Bravo Ocean, fiio mckinley fiio e3? for apple ipod...

anyways the point is i'm not like the Z dude or Tyll , i know my place in the headphone world ... small fish like ones on pizza  lolz.   i really enjoy their vids on youtube i learned lots n like they revived my love for audio equipment as sometimes passions can wither in times of woe .... anyhoooooooooooo :p i bought these b/c of Z Reviews , and them .....

TITTY Look'n SHIPS
beyersmile.png

like that was the funniest look'n headphones i ever seeen OMG ... IF U DON'T KNOW YOUTUBE PHILLIPS 9500 MODDED BY Z REVIEWS ... i may have to do this...... like WHOA

okokoko ... so i got the 9500s like just literally an hour ago and........................................ordered from new egg

WOW .... nice box ....
WOW ...  they look pretty good
WOW... they are super light and comfortable

so the lowdown .... these are NOT bass cannons ... they are super laid back ...i can tell i wont be fatigued by them at reasonable volumes ... they're chill like ... a radio playing in the background while working ... it will get you through the activity/work ....

to put in perspective  the xb1000s, are indeed bass cannons... those who say they aren't didn't spend enough time with em ... till tht earpads starts peeling :d ...but i can only listen  to them for like an hour or two n take break ... because it talks to you ...it says "louder louder, more BASSS BASSSS XTRA BASSS" and i will lean away from the usual music i like and keep typing bass tests , deeepest bass, hq bass on youtube ... make sense?

vmoda lp2s ... great all rounder ... i didn't like them all tht much ... till one day on the subway they just woke up like a year later ... i sleep with them ... everyday ...can go outside, good for most music .... 4 yrs on , with xl pads , wonderful value

these 9500s i have been listening one hour now plus , and they are chill. they can play sub bass notes,but obv not like a closed can. its kinda like ummmmm whatchamcall it ...logitech speakers with sub like a 2.1 at a volume that wont piss off family ... hope that makes sense ... homework chill, lay on the bed chill level ....

i think they will get better with time no doubt .... only thing i worry about is earpads from what i've read but im gonna swap them out with xb500 pads or some fatter ones.. you know just for fun ,,, b/c since i wear the xb1ks so much i like fatter ones .... morbidly obese ones ... and

basically i got these to rest my other two as i wear them so much, and i want to extend the life of the xb1ks since they are like unicorns now ... thought about getting the t50/40/20rp model like i was a click away till i saw the titty ships ... i mean if they look that bad, they have to be good right ....tempting ... thanks Z Reviews

i only wrote this up to give one more thumbs up to 9500s n hope you ppl pick them up .. i paid 140 cdn shipped with taxes , looks cheaper on new egg usa like 60 bucks or summat ... GET EM .... NOW ..... but for backup, tinkering purposes .... don't expect them to be like your prized cans okok?  the hype is real, Phillips????? New fan here...

Thanks Guys,

Aug 12, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #995 of 2,061
  Possibility of a shp9500s?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4x3uyc/shp9500s_is_this_a_new_model_different_packaging/

the price of these will jump up again. haha. 

Ive had mine no-s version for a couple years now and I still really enjoy the comfort they bring, but the ONLY thing I didn't like was the lack of clamping force for my smaller head. This is good news.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #996 of 2,061
  Possibility of a shp9500s?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4x3uyc/shp9500s_is_this_a_new_model_different_packaging/

That would be awesome.. I Would get a pair of the "s" model.. if it's true and the price is about the same.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #997 of 2,061
beyersmile.png
HIYA FOLKS

OOOOOOOOOOOOooook straight to the point ....... totally lov'n these 9500s. i'm not exaggerating, i had em on for like 10+ hours yesterday. I've slapped on some XB1000 EAR MUFFS, and life is goooooooood. Nothing beats these morbidly obese pads. 9500s feel mmm yummy. The stock pads is like verrry comfy though, i rank both as elite comfy :p

SO I TOOOK OFFF THAT ^

and onto those 
beyersmile.png

Quick story :

LiZZZZZen, i know what a fine tuned nightclub sound is like. I tried mimicking tht in my car for years to no avail spending gobs of $$$. I wasn't even close, but i know what i'm chasing and missing. And no headphone will do this. Not even my XB1ks, but with a few drinks, its close :p

LiZZZZen , you MUST pick up a set of 9500s. I am not one of those who picked these up and forced myself to like em and spread lies. Like I said I was gonna get T50/40/20 RP or Custom Pro Beyers.  There is something weird about these headphones. I just love em. They're not even that great, but they're awesome in some sort of quirky way. Maybe its the fact its a Phillips I dunno. I duNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

SO, ok maybe this mod isn't for the BIG FISH in here with their fancy gear. Hey, i'd get em if i could lol. Some McIntosh tube amps and a top tier can or some Stax. I want StaXXX bad, so bad.

okokokok , so in conclusion FOR YOU WONDERFUL AMERICANS .... $60 9500s SHIPS from NEW EGG + $10 Xb700Pads From Ebay = $70 CAN you cannot beat it as a FUN. Remember FUN CANS? This is a FUN CAN.

Thanks,

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #999 of 2,061
I was very lucky. i got like scissors, glue, tape all the tools out,..... (and they are 1000 pads btw) ... and they

just fit right on.... the ring attached to the 1000 pads lined up with the ring of the phillips. no gap whatsoever. i didn't permanently super glue it. i will probably want to test other pads maybe down the line.

now i doubt you can find xb1k ear pad rings easily.

but if you go to

http://www.modhouseaudio.com/shp9500_adapter_rings/

there is a ring adaptor, and i'm sure you can attach easily to xb700 pads with some glue or some other creative method. its pretty straight forward and simple job.

hope it helps.

those argon cans look yummy and seem quite good for 200 bones. plus he sells those titty cups for the 9500s which might be a future mod for me  :p they looks sooooo grrr there are no words, they just must be good.

hope that helps friend

oh and cup removal was super easy after watching this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNIauJJQZ8

***** OK CHECK THIS*** SO i been tinkering with like household things n cotton n acoustic dampening materials, and holding cups to the open slot similar to what Z Reviews guy did, and he's not joking, these can produce low end rumble. with these fat pads n temp closing , this is not a bad xb1k alternative.

YEA I SAID IT. and i know my 1ks well. these mimic the 1k like 90%. the 1k has slightly more sub bass (like in a nightclub) at higher volume levels. at normal levels, its almost the same. for under $100!!!!!!!!!!! Remember 1ks is semi open. might not mimic xb500 but i assure u accurate deep sub bass rumble > boom bass.

i'm not trolling. i just want to present alternative for those who want a lot for like a hundred bucks. also, the fat pads help with the loose on head issue. my head is 7 3/8 and original fit was fine . okokoko i think im done with ranting. i hope it helps

k701smile.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,001 of 2,061
  How do these compare with superlux hd681 evo. I have the Evo's but I am thinking of trading them with these. These are about $60 now. 

z REVIEWS on youtube said he liked them more than his hd600, and with mods its like hifiman 500s

thats why i got em. i ordered the titty cups from mod houseaudio

all i know is for 60 bucks you can't go wrong ...

all in all im like 200 cdn in with mods, so i hope they turn out good. i think they will :D

that being said if i gad a few hundred more dollaars id want the x00 from mass drop or stax 2107

these are not the be all end all :p

Aug 14, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #1,002 of 2,061
so definitely better than the evo's :p

z REVIEWS on youtube said he liked them more than his hd600, and with mods its like hifiman 500s

all in all im like 200 cdn in with mods, so i hope they turn out good. i think they will :D

that being said if i gad a few hundred more dollaars id want the x00 from mass drop or stax 2107

so definitely better than the evo's :p

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,003 of 2,061

How do these compare with superlux hd681 evo. I have the Evo's but I am thinking of trading them with these. These are about $60 now. 

I have both and you can see some of my thoughts and mods of the Evo here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo/780#post_12701763

Gaming - FPS shooters... Yes we want loud powerful thundering feel in the cranium explosions!!!  I prefer the EVO's. Better bass thump and less harsh. So you crank up the volume to feel the immersion and explosions... but you really have to crank it on the SHiPs but instead it just sounds more harsh and even with bass boost and cranked do not give a great thump and instead feel more harsh at those sound levels. Don't get me wrong... these are great for gaming - but if I compared to the EVO's... the EVO's have it for gaming.

Music - SHiPs are very clear and crisp. And give a great classic sound. If too loud... Bass can get a tad muddy if listening to heavy low bass songs. And if you have a crappy recording... it will sound as such because of how crisp they are.
Evo's - Music overall is great, and I love the funky bass thump that they have. 

Movies - They both are great.

Comfort - Both are great. But SHiPs are way comfy!!! Although SHiPs feel like a loose cloud even when I bent the metal in certain areas. Evo's nice and snug. And you can bend the metal rods if needed. Yes they are metal.

Looks - Yes the EVO's look a tad silly but I lessened that when I slipped in a spare headband from a old and broken Turtle Beach headset.

Soundstage - Both are great! The ShiPs seem to have more.

Sound Leakage - The SHiPs!!! Being that they are fully open. 

Distortion - When amped the SHiPs tend to distort a tad especially if I have bass boost on or on really bassy songs. The EVO is not fazed at all by this.

Speed. I think the EVO's are faster in terms of handling a lot of fast bass such as double floor toms in heavy metal.

Classic sound - SHiPs baby. I love these with classic rock. 

These are just my personal impressions. I think you should try it and keep both if you can. Not sure what your preffered listening styles are.

They are both freaking awesome!!! Enjoy.

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,004 of 2,061

I have both and you can see some of my thoughts and mods of the Evo here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/670051/review-superlux-hd681-evo/780#post_12701763

Gaming - FPS shooters... Yes we want loud powerful thundering feel in the cranium explosions!!!  I prefer the EVO's. Better bass thump and less harsh. So you crank up the volume to feel the immersion and explosions... but you really have to crank it on the SHiPs but instead it just sounds more harsh and even with bass boost and cranked do not give a great thump and instead feel more harsh at those sound levels. Don't get me wrong... these are great for gaming - but if I compared to the EVO's... the EVO's have it for gaming.

Music - SHiPs are very clear and crisp. And give a great classic sound. If too loud... Bass can get a tad muddy if listening to heavy low bass songs. And if you have a crappy recording... it will sound as such because of how crisp they are.
Evo's - Music overall is great, and I love the funky bass thump that they have. 

Movies - They both are great.

Comfort - Both are great. But SHiPs are way comfy!!! Although SHiPs feel like a loose cloud even when I bent the metal in certain areas. Evo's nice and snug. And you can bend the metal rods if needed. Yes they are metal.

Looks - Yes the EVO's look a tad silly but I lessened that when I slipped in a spare headband from a old and broken Turtle Beach headset.

Soundstage - Both are great! The ShiPs seem to have more.

Sound Leakage - The SHiPs!!! Being that they are fully open. 

Distortion - When amped the SHiPs tend to distort a tad especially if I have bass boost on or on really bassy songs. The EVO is not fazed at all by this.

Speed. I think the EVO's are faster in terms of handling a lot of fast bass such as double floor toms in heavy metal.

Classic sound - SHiPs baby. I love these with classic rock. 

These are just my personal impressions. I think you should try it and keep both if you can. Not sure what your preffered listening styles are.

They are both freaking awesome!!! Enjoy.

Thank you for great info. I didn't like EVO's first but maybe they need burning in and I am talking too soon.
Do you recommend taking the foam above drivers out? 
also what do you think about this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/737372/superluxs-hd681-evo-mod-i-donno-why-this-works-it-just-does

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #1,005 of 2,061
  Thank you for great info. I didn't like EVO's first but maybe they need burning in and I am talking too soon.
Do you recommend taking the foam above drivers out? 
also what do you think about this mod: http://www.head-fi.org/t/737372/superluxs-hd681-evo-mod-i-donno-why-this-works-it-just-does

Interesting mod link.

I left the foam but had removed the felt that was on the drivers. I am really satisfied with the way it sounds to my ears so I am pretty much done modding / tinkering with them. :) 

Give the SHiPs a try... and compare when you receive them with the EVO's. Then sell or return either of them. Or keep em both :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back