Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jul 22, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #961 of 2,061
I own both. There is no way the amperior seperates instruments more distinctly than the 9500. There is no chance that the amperiors are clearer than the 9500's. heads up potential buyers.

Yea they seem totally different in price and how the amperior looks to be a closed versus the SHiPs that are open backed. So the question would be of what use is the original poster looking to use them for. Perhaps. :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #962 of 2,061
  you guys know that the ear pads can come off with bit of effort not to break the clips inside

I had posted pics in this thread if you want to see them

I think a bit of felt (2mm thick) put between the actual driver and the pad on top is the easiest solution 

What is the secret to getting the ear pads off without ruining them? :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #963 of 2,061
Hey guys,
This IS my first post so please bear with my unfamiliarity with forum etiquette.
I've been planning on buying a pair of SHP9500s for a long time, ever since Zeos (z reviews) posted his review.
Is the sale on Newegg right now (65$) worth it? If not, could you please link a better buy?
Thanks!

Jul 23, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #964 of 2,061
  Hey guys,
This IS my first post so please bear with my unfamiliarity with forum etiquette.
I've been planning on buying a pair of SHP9500s for a long time, ever since Zeos (z reviews) posted his review.
Is the sale on Newegg right now (65$) worth it? If not, could you please link a better buy?
Thanks!

I bought mine from Newegg July 11th for $59.99 plus a $10 rebate.  This deal seems to come up from time to time, so that would save a fair amount on the price if you wanted to wait for it to come back.  But otherwise, the current price at Newegg seems to be the best I can find online.

Jul 24, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #966 of 2,061
  What is the secret to getting the ear pads off without ruining them? :)

a butter knife :p or anything that's thin enough to get in between the felt and the plastic rim, or if you are confident enough just your bare hands are fine too, although a little bit nerve-racking

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #967 of 2,061

a butter knife :p or anything that's thin enough to get in between the felt and the plastic rim, or if you are confident enough just your bare hands are fine too, although a little bit nerve-racking

Yep, this is how I removed them based on advice here, then I fit some angled pleather HM5 pads with a good bit of stretching, but I can still go back to stock with no issue

Jul 24, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #968 of 2,061
Using the original pads here.  Has anyone noticed the sound improving markedly if you press the cups tighter to your head?  The better seal seems to make an immediate change for the better.

Jul 25, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #969 of 2,061
This headphone sounds incredible to my ears. This reminds me my other favorite headphone which is Senn HD600 without the high price tag. I like it so much I bought another pair to give it to my son for his gaming rig and music listening and he absolutely loves it as much as I do. And since it is no longer in production, I might buy another pair for spare in case  this one bites the dust. If you like open balance sound signature and slightly bright tone, you need to try this pair. To my ears, the bass is plenty for me when the music calls it for and it responds well to equalizer to boost mid-bass slightly if you want to have more bass response. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #970 of 2,061
Eh, the SHP9500 and HD 600 aren't really all that similar. The SHP9500 has a huge dip at 2K-3K followed by a peak at 4K, causing resonance and loss of clarity.

SHP9500:

shp9500.png

HD 600:

hd600.png

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #971 of 2,061
  Changing pads on the SHP9500 (simplified):

*NOT REVERSIBLE*

1. Rip off as much of the stock pads as you can.

2. Carefully snap off the oval plastic ring (that holds the pads) from the driver. This will be used to hold the new pads.

3. Remove as much excess amount of cloth, glue, and rubber from the plastic ring as you can. Also remove the rubber layer around the ring.

(Optional) Rip the center cloth piece from the stock pads to use on the new setup in order to tame the treble some more (if needed).

Now, the easy part...

I chose Shure velour pads because the oval shape is a perfect fit with the ring that holds the pad. I also didn't want to change the sound signature too much. As a result, I get a bit more bass with less of a treble spike.

Hope this helps! 
biggrin.gif

Did you do the felt mod that people have also recommended? Or is the center cloth piece good enough?

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #972 of 2,061
Eh, the SHP9500 and HD 600 aren't really all that similar. The SHP9500 has a huge dip at 2K-3K followed by a peak at 4K, causing resonance and loss of clarity.
Sure you can determine what to buy and try based on the measurements and specs. It is one more factors to consider what equipments for you to try out but I have decided long time ago, I am not going to look into too closely with measurements and specs for my decision to purchase and it served me well all those years. Of course everyone has their own methodology when it comes to buy any stereo equipments but it will be a shame if you decided not to try out the SHP 9500 solely based on measurement alone vs HD 600. I have been listening to my HD 600 for a very long time and SHP 9500 surely reminds me that magical sound signature with very little money. For my experience, if you are too caught up with specs, measurements, opamps, capacitors, ... etc., I tend to have my own biased opinions based on what that parts/measurements combo suppose to sound like before I have a chance to listen. 

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #973 of 2,061

That huge dip/peak is easily audible though whether or not you care about measurements. It makes female vocals sound muffled, which was one of the things that bugged me about the SHP9500 when I owned it.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #974 of 2,061

SHP9500:

shp9500.png

HD 600:

hd600.png

this site shows that how even with only putting some felt fabric inside the earpads changes the sound
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-philips/

Below the SHP-9500 (with felt) compared to the much more expensive Philips X1. The SHP-9500 with felt is a little brighter (which I thought was lacking in the X1) but doesn’t have the bass extension. Fortunately with EQ this bass issue is easily solved and in my opinion the SHP-9500 (with EQ/felt) sounds better than the X1.

then goes on about how on their tuned amplifier and give the headphone some bass and depth, but the evidence that the felt helps is there

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #975 of 2,061

Did you do the felt mod that people have also recommended? Or is the center cloth piece good enough?

Dude, FYI, it is totally unnecessary to perform a destructive mod for ear pads.

I made a non-destructive ear pad adapter.

Pics & Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4kfugg/shp9500_ear_pad_adapter_my_new_design/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back