Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #721 of 2,061
While the SHP9500s aren't due here until next Saturday, I made the decision to gift the AKG K81DJs to my youngest son today.  He'll appreciate the SQ when gaming or playing his guitar in his room.  Me?  I'm content with the SHL5500s (and of course my HD600s!).  We'll see how the SHP9500s do....

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #723 of 2,061
  This may be the last batch of them. 

Which is one of the reasons I popped for a pair.  Another being the transfer of ownership of Philips A/V product line (WOOX) to Gibson where QC issues have surfaced and some products are being targeted for discontinuance.  And lastly because of my high degree of satisfaction with my inexpensive SHL5500s (this coming from a Senn 580/600 fan)!

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #724 of 2,061
  I just got the SHP9500 and I'm loving it! It's so much better than I expected! I like this more than my K7XX! I'm sure there's way to change the ear pad, but is there any step by step guideline? 

I think I do too, they're very clean and neutral to me. K7XX drivers also touch my ears which is a pet peeve. I feel like the SHP9500 work better with metal too.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #727 of 2,061
Grabbed a pair of these recently and, in brief, they're definitely worth the hype. $150+ sound for $60-80 bucks. Even at $100, these are a really good buy. That's of course with the caveat that you prefer a more neutral and detailed sound. Not everyone likes that sound profile. These are perhaps a touch behind my AD900X (which is an amazing value in itself at $140) in terms of soundstage expanse which makes them sound a bit more natural, but a bit better in terms of clarity. Can't find much to criticize sound wise. Bass is good for me, but again, I prefer it neutral or slightly north of it so not ideal for bass lovers. Mids are very nice and even, though I prefer them a tad more forward. Still very well done and nothing at all to complain about. Highs can be bright in places, but I wouldn't call them offensive or sibilant at all. I like the boost in clarity compared to my AD900X. Both are excellent value, but I'd give the 9500 a nod for being cheaper and on the same playing field. If you like expansive soundstage and naturalness, grab the AD900X. But if you like neutral clarity and detail, the 9500 might be more your bag. Can't decide between them. Very tough call. Not sure I'd say they're as good as 600s, but damn, for the price and how close they get? I love these.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #728 of 2,061
Mine were deliverd today.  OMG what a PITA trying to get them out of the box.  Ended up ripping the cover sleeve unfortunately.

Well they're hooked up to my Schiit Stack and playing tracks via foobar2000 w/o any EQ.  Right out of the box, definitely brighter - more sizzle - than my HD600s which are simply "smoother" overall.  Bass seems quite good; not sure what all the complaints were about.  We'll see how things go.  I have some 2mm black felt on hand if needed to tame the highs.  Regardless initial impressions of the SQ are that these are a hell of a bargain for $60.

ADDENDUM:  After a bit over an hour I had to pull them off.  The brightness was giving me a headache.  I noted in soundsgoodtome's post #118 he said the treble was unbearable initially for him but settled in extremely well after a couple hundred hours.  I may just go ahead and slide some felt in over the drivers anchoring it under the edges of the ear cushions as described by the applicable DIY Audio Heaven postings.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #730 of 2,061
  I wonder how they compare to the DT880, anybody ever do so?

Search this thread for DT880... there are several mentions and comparisons.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #731 of 2,061
  Grabbed a pair of these recently and, in brief, they're definitely worth the hype. $150+ sound for $60-80 bucks. Even at $100, these are a really good buy. That's of course with the caveat that you prefer a more neutral and detailed sound. Not everyone likes that sound profile. These are perhaps a touch behind my AD900X (which is an amazing value in itself at $140) in terms of soundstage expanse which makes them sound a bit more natural, but a bit better in terms of clarity. Can't find much to criticize sound wise. Bass is good for me, but again, I prefer it neutral or slightly north of it so not ideal for bass lovers. Mids are very nice and even, though I prefer them a tad more forward. Still very well done and nothing at all to complain about. Highs can be bright in places, but I wouldn't call them offensive or sibilant at all. I like the boost in clarity compared to my AD900X. Both are excellent value, but I'd give the 9500 a nod for being cheaper and on the same playing field. If you like expansive soundstage and naturalness, grab the AD900X. But if you like neutral clarity and detail, the 9500 might be more your bag. Can't decide between them. Very tough call. Not sure I'd say they're as good as 600s, but damn, for the price and how close they get? I love these.

Agree 100% with this.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #732 of 2,061
I've owned my first pair for over a year and the treble was also very bright in the beginning. So much that I could only listen to music for 30 minutes. Since my primary use was as a headset for work calls (using the V Moda boom mic cable) I wasn't that concerned. I still liked it a lot for the brief music sessions. 
At some point the treble smoothed very noticeably. I don't think it's a case of brain burn in  because I'm very sensitive to shrill treble in general. No issues now with extended listening sessions. 

These cans sound very good to me with the Schiit Vali 1. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #733 of 2,061
Cut out a couple of 2mm thick felt "discs" and tucked them under the edges of the earpads.  Makes a huge difference taming the treble and slightly boosting the bass as described here http://tinyurl.com/z48euu5

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #734 of 2,061
For those that didn't see it last year. I've done 3 pairs like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717690/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread/60#post_11203294

Edit: missed negative 
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #735 of 2,061
  For those that see it last year. I've done 3 pairs like this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717690/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread/60#post_11203294

I would have gone this way completely if not for a couple of things:
-- my ears don't touch the driver elements so increasing the earcup height wasn't an issue for me
-- the biggest problem for me was the treble brightness which is tamed quite well by the 2mm felt alone plus bass seemed to also be improved
-- the lack of easy availability and cost of the 4mm thickness EPDM butyl was a show stopper for its use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back