Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
May 22, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #376 of 2,061
Came back from vacation and thought I listen to the 9500 again.  But about an hour later, too much fatigue, ear stuffy.  Guess I have to find another can.  Thought about changing out the drivers.  Found some drivers on ebay but not sure how they are.  I've been messing around with my 9500.  I cut my pads off but I found out the oval part with the pads just snaps onto the round part of the headphone.  You can try to pry it but pretty sure the clips will break.  Might be able to feel out the clips inside the pads and press on them to unclip it.

Anyways, I put the pads off my Takstars onto it.  Voices sound hollow with the pleather pads but if you close the cups it sounds better.  Was thinking of making something to close off the cups but with these drivers fatiguing my ears so much, there wouldn't be a point to modding anymore, unless I change drivers too.  Still a nice cup to mod with though, so maybe lol.

What it looks like with the oval pad part off
Was thinking of making some round adapter piece to put around the clips so the cans can have removable pads.

With the Takstar pads.

May 23, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #377 of 2,061
  anyone think these would be a significant upgrade from a takstar hi2050?

I received it last week. And burnt it throughly.

Owners of Takstar HI2050 should not be worried much as the difference (in terms of SQ) isn't great

But if we go into detail:

2050 is more comfortable on my head but its cable ain't retractable plus its build is %50 aluminium %50 hard plastic while 9500 is solely plastic (save it's metal based head band)
2050's box is like a gem container. 9500's is ordinary.
9500 soundstage is not considerably wider or taller or deeper than 2050
2050 is really aggressive compared to 9500 plus it's %20 higher resolution
2050 is only a little bit easier to drive than 9500
9500 sounds more natural than 2050, especially at metallic blown instruments like saxaphone
9500 is better at PRAT factor, makes you feel the dynamic and rhyme.

May 23, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #378 of 2,061
  I received it last week. And burnt it throughly.

Owners of Takstar HI2050 should not be worried much as the difference (in terms of SQ) isn't great

But if we go into detail:

2050 is more comfortable on my head but its cable ain't retractable plus its build is %50 aluminium %50 hard plastic while 9500 is solely plastic (save it's metal based head band)
2050's box is like a gem container. 9500's is ordinary.
9500 soundstage is not considerably wider or taller or deeper than 2050
2050 is really aggressive compared to 9500 plus it's %20 higher resolution
2050 is only a little bit easier to drive than 9500
9500 sounds more natural than 2050, especially at metallic blown instruments like saxaphone
9500 is better at PRAT factor, makes you feel the dynamic and rhyme.

I got it myself and agree with much of what you said.   I feel the 9500 is slightly better in all ways in terms of SQ, but I couldn't get over the fit.  It's just too loose and big on the head.  It's not heavy, but it just doesn't disappear on the head for me.  I'd prefer velour as well.  The cable is also horrible in terms of the rubber material on the outside and the length.

May 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #381 of 2,061
Dsnuts gave these the Golden Nut award!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-kjk1281s-take-jvc-xx-ha-fr100x-elation-iem-page-1944/29175#post_11631900

May 30, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #382 of 2,061
What is the most expensive cable you are using with this and what is the effect?

I am considering to buy Furutech ihp-35 but not quiet sure they'll go well together.

May 30, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #383 of 2,061
  What is the most expensive cable you are using with this and what is the effect?

I am considering to buy Furutech ihp-35 but not quiet sure they'll go well together.

I am using the $12 Vmoda cable. Some people claim it makes a significant improvement. I am not entirely sure. I would not recommend spending too much money on a new cable. If you need to get one, get something cheaper between 5-15 range. 

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #386 of 2,061
Just yesterday I bought these headphones from Catch of the Day, with 40% off so I got them for $48AUD +shipping. From looking at the posts here, the cable which comes with it isn't very good so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which ones would be good. I from Australia btw so we don't have as much access to stuff as some lucky others.

These are also my first decent pair of headphones(normally use in ears) and so I was wondering if the mod was worth it to someone who just wanted to listen to music off their phone.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #387 of 2,061
  Just yesterday I bought these headphones from Catch of the Day, with 40% off so I got them for $48AUD +shipping. From looking at the posts here, the cable which comes with it isn't very good so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which ones would be good. I from Australia btw so we don't have as much access to stuff as some lucky others.

These are also my first decent pair of headphones(normally use in ears) and so I was wondering if the mod was worth it to someone who just wanted to listen to music off their phone.

I use the Doggie Treats from Mrspeakers to calm the treble down a bit.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #388 of 2,061

Congratulations, I think you will love them.

Many of us, the majority I expect, think the cables that come with the Philips are perfectly fine soundwise, others think they can be improved on.  In any case, the sound difference will be very small, especially for someone who is new to headphones (vs in-ears.  

On the other hand, many of us have changed cables because the original cable is very long (like 9 feet) and not too flexible, and lacks a mike/remote. As you listen from your phone, you probably fit into this category.  As a new user I would strongly recommend against paying a lot for a cable....as I said, many of us do not believe that a well designed $10=$20 cable can be much improved on...and if you spend $50 for a cable the headphones are no longer much of a bargain.

If you want a mike/switch the V-moda  cables are highly rated and not expensive.  Otherwise, look for a highly reviewed cable that fits your needs (is shorter for one).  I have used both Honeywell and IxCC cables that work great.  They may not be available in AU....but at least you could look at them on Amazon and find something similar.

I would also hold off on the mods until you have listened to the phones and totally burned them in (20 or more hours use).   The mods slightly reduce the treble (felt mod) and slightly increase the bass (ring mod).   You may find that they sound great for your tastes without these changes.   If your phone has an equalizer, you can also do about the same thing with that.  I have done the felt mod (using about $1 worth of felt from a fabric store) and like it.  I see no reason for "special" felt.  It costs almost nothing, and if you do not glue it in, is instantly reversible.   In any case, I think it is better for you to let them burn in, and tweak with your EQ the first week or so, so you can better judge the difference the mod makes.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #389 of 2,061

wow! Great price! How did you snag the extra 40%?

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #390 of 2,061

I use the Doggie Treats from Mrspeakers to calm the treble down a bit.

Thanks, I'll check it out after I try out the phones.

Congratulations, I think you will love them.

Many of us, the majority I expect, think the cables that come with the Philips are perfectly fine soundwise, others think they can be improved on.  In any case, the sound difference will be very small, especially for someone who is new to headphones (vs in-ears.  

On the other hand, many of us have changed cables because the original cable is very long (like 9 feet) and not too flexible, and lacks a mike/remote. As you listen from your phone, you probably fit into this category.  As a new user I would strongly recommend against paying a lot for a cable....as I said, many of us do not believe that a well designed $10=$20 cable can be much improved on...and if you spend $50 for a cable the headphones are no longer much of a bargain.

If you want a mike/switch the V-moda  cables are highly rated and not expensive.  Otherwise, look for a highly reviewed cable that fits your needs (is shorter for one).  I have used both Honeywell and IxCC cables that work great.  They may not be available in AU....but at least you could look at them on Amazon and find something similar.

I would also hold off on the mods until you have listened to the phones and totally burned them in (20 or more hours use).   The mods slightly reduce the treble (felt mod) and slightly increase the bass (ring mod).   You may find that they sound great for your tastes without these changes.   If your phone has an equalizer, you can also do about the same thing with that.  I have done the felt mod (using about $1 worth of felt from a fabric store) and like it.  I see no reason for "special" felt.  It costs almost nothing, and if you do not glue it in, is instantly reversible.   In any case, I think it is better for you to let them burn in, and tweak with your EQ the first week or so, so you can better judge the difference the mod makes.

Thank you for the detailed reply.
Yea, the cable does seem a bit long so I'll check out the ones you've mentioned and see if there's any other good ones here in Aus.
And thanks for the explanation on the mod, I'm really new with all this stuff so I've yet to find out my preferences and I don't quite understand a lot of stuff.
I can't wait for these headphones to arrive!

wow! Great price! How did you snag the extra 40%?

COTD had a massive 24 hr sale with a lot of their stock 30-75% off. The site kept crashing and it took ages to load but i think it was all worth it for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back